Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to make LED tail lights? for Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005 | 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
I did it for the camaro lights, and I'm about to start another pair in a week or so.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ls1_ss

-Nathan

If that page doesnt work use this one..

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/733654/1
they are hot, i bought a pair. now if it could only warm up a little for me to install them
Old 01-22-2005 | 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's really not going to be that hard to do. First you need to decide how many LEDs you are going to use. Then making the brake lights and running light's is easy. Your taillights have three wires going to them. Your taillight bulbs have two filaments in them. One for running lights and one for brake lights which is a higher wattage so it will be brighter. All you have to do is buy some leds that are around 500mcd for the running lights and some around 3000mcd for your brake lights. There is no need for 6000mcd leds unless you want to blind somebody. You have to remember that when you look straight on a LED they will about blind you. I just wired up some 2600mcd LED's in my car and I shined one at my roomate from about 10ft away and he had to turn his head. Now this is how I would wire them up.

LEDs= -

300mcd LEDs (running lights) ------------------------------------------
3000mcd Brakelights ------------------------------------------
running ------------------------------------------
Brakelights ------------------------------------------

Basically make 4 rows of LEDs. Say 20 LEDs a row. Do 1 row 300mcd then the next 3000mcd. Then just figure out which wire going to your factory harness is the running lights and wire them into the 300mcd leds. Then wire the brake light wire into the 3000mcd leds and bingo dim for running lights and bright for brakelights and turn signals. You can get 8000mcd red LEDs "which is way over kill BTW" with a 30deg. viewing angle for .47cents a piece from oznium.com. So if you had 80 LEDs a side you would have to spend $75 bucks for the LEDs to do both sides. I would say buying the circuit board and volatge regulators. you would have $100 bucks in the whole thing and would blind everyone behind you. Hope this helps you some. Now wiring them uo just ask your buddy that has a degree in electronics. This circuit will be childs play to him.

Edit: I just counted LS1 SS's LED's in his taillights he has 20 a side. So just think how bright 80 a side would be.

Quick Reply: How to make LED tail lights? for Trans Am?