Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fog Lamp Switch on indicator illumination.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Fog Lamp Switch on indicator illumination.

I am interested in changing the amber color in the fog lamp switch. I saw on eBay where someone was selling kits for replacing the LED's with different colors. Not wanting pay $10 for doing this I tried it myself.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a LED for $1.

The switch is easy to take apart and the amber bulb was easy to replace. However when I put it back in the car the new LED doesn't stay on. When I activate the switch it blinks during the activation but does not stay on. The switch does work the fog lamps correctly and the blue backlighting of the symbol illumination works.

Specs on the LED are 12VDC, 20 mA, 1.5 mcd, with integrated resistor.

It is not burnt out it just blinks on in the middle of the switch action.

Anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Does it need a different LED?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the same kit for sale on e-bay. Glad to here you're doing it yourself.

I'm no electrical Guru, but aren't their 2 different types of LED's ? First is the kind that stays illuminated all the time, and the second type that flashes, or blinks if you will. Is it possible that you bought a flashing LED?

Please keep us posted on your project, it sounds like a nice upgrade.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

An LED is just a light (Light Emmiting Diode) whether it flashes or not depends on what its hooked up too. Since the LED you mentioned uses 12v and has an integral resistor (LEDS are typically 1.5v/3.7v/5, and you supply the resistor) maybe there is something else there.

Here are some points:
* What else does it say on the packaging?
* Maybe its an issue with the circuit and not the LED? Check it with a volt meter.
* Test the LED on a different circuit, a constant 12v to see if it flashes or stays on.

I too am glad to see that you are doing this yourself. I havent seen that kit, but if this is all it does, its a ripoff.

--VIP1
Old 01-08-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
An LED is just a light (Light Emmiting Diode) whether it flashes or not depends on what its hooked up too.
--VIP1
You can buy LED's that are made to flash when they are given constant power.

I firmly believe this is not your problem though, if it was your LED would keep flashing, not start and then stop. The problem is in the circuit. When you press the button it appears you are making the circuit connect, and when you release the button the circuit does not have a good connection anymore. I would take the button apart and make sure your connections are good (Re-solder them, etc)
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I emailed the ebay seller and got some information. He says he buys direct from a manufacturer and they are LED's with integral resistors. He got it right by trial and error. He also doesn't think anyone (Radio Shack, etc.) sells one that will work.

He also stated he saw the same thing I'm seeing until he got the resistor right.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

I actually bought one of those off ebay, and I can tell you its nothing you cant build from radio shack. I only purchased it because a buddy owed me some money and I didnt have much else to spend it on, and I wanted to see the seller's instructions. What size resistor are you using? I can tell you that you probably want to use something around 470-680 ohms depending on the color of led you have selected. Let me know your led specs and I can find you a good resistor size.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what's on the package:

Front

Radio Shack number 276-209
5mm
Red LED
12VDC.20mA,1,5mcd.with integrated resistor

Back:
Foward supply voltage: 12 VDC max
Luminous intensity (Brightness): 1.5 mcd average or typical light output at the rated 20mA current)
Peal emission wavelength (nm): 697 typ. (wavelength at which the majority of light is emitted.)
Viewing angle (deg.): 36 (angle between half intensity points on etiher side of direct viewing)
Lens (something.package torn): Red

Not sure if that helps. Thanks for the info.

Mark.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

From the packaging, its sounds like it should work out for you. Have you tested the circuit or the connections? If all else fails, you can always get a simple LED and the appropriate resistor (Instead of a combo unitn like you have).

--VIP1
Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

If it is setup for 12 volts then you shouldnt need a resistor...any power source you get from your dash will be 12 volts. Try it without a resistor.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The LED he bought has an itegral resistor that allows it to use 12v.
LEDs typically run on 1.5v/3.7v/5v.

--VIP1
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
The LED he bought has an itegral resistor that allows it to use 12v.
LEDs typically run on 1.5v/3.7v/5v.

--VIP1
Right...so if it already has the resistor built in then why does he need to dial it in? Is it a variable resistor? Even if that is the case the led should provide its own specs. With something like a 5 mcd red led you are probably looking at very minimal ratings, like 1.5 volts 15 ma

If it already has a resistor setup for 12V, then I dont see why it wouldnt work unless the connection wasnt very good. I also dont understand how the guy had to play with the resistor value. If it is setup for 12V, then there should be nothing to change.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

It doesnt sound like the integral resistor is variable and I didn't say that he needs to add a resistor to the unit he bought. What I said is that if this unit doesn't work then maybe he should get a regular 1.5v/3.7v/5v LED (no integral resistor) and get the appropriate resistor for it.

This also isn't a simple circuit since the Fog lights turn off when the high beems are turned on. Its possible that the low load/power draw of the LED is confusing it. Kinda like how a thermal flasher doesn't work right with LED turn signals and taillights. I think its more likely that there is an issue with the contacts.

--VIP1
Old 01-10-2004, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Took the LED out and hooked up straight to a 12v source and ground and it glows red like it's supposed to.

The contacts are now soldered on. In the switch it is still only briefly flashing on with switch activation.

I think it has something to do with the relay logic for the high beams, etc. also.

Still working on it....
Old 01-11-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Very strange...Ive used the kit and made my own, and never had any problems. Might be possible that you have a bad connection somewhere beyond the switch that didnt show up until you disconnected that wire. I know sometimes my asr backlighting doesnt come on until you push the button a few times.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Friend of mine did his SS with blue. I gave him two blue 3mm for each bulb and proper resistor for each (470ohm, I think). He had no problems thought it look like a PITA to solder.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Since this thread is over a 1.5yrs old, I think he's solved his issue by now.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep I figured as such, but since no clear answer was given I figured I'd post something so someone else having the same problem would have an answer.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

OK
Every once-in-a-while some-one posts to an old thread and doesnt realize how old it is. It thought that might be the case here. I guess not.