Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

RCA Input for amp from Monsoon?? how ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default RCA Input for amp from Monsoon?? how ???

Ok so I bought a kicker amp. Ordered an Alpine Type R sub and am still trying to find a stealth box etc. The amp has rca and wire inputs and I don't have the plug to use the wire input. I figured Rca input was out of the question... is there any way to use an rCA input to the amp? is there an adapter that can convert the wire from a speaker to Rca? I am guessing the kicker plug isnt readily available.

Also.. should I use the mids for input to the amp or the rear speakers??
Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace the head unit imo.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
is there any way to use an rCA input to the amp? is there an adapter that can convert the wire from a speaker to Rca?

Also.. should I use the mids for input to the amp or the rear speakers??
It sounds like your amp has 'Hi-Level' (speaker wire inputs) built-in, so you could just use those. It's basically a 'converter' built into your amp.

But if you do want a separate converter, they definitely exist. $10-20.. depending on store. can get anywhere online, in-store would likely be BestBuy, Radio Shack, probably even Meijer's or Wal-Marts..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...=1218015169429

I'd suggest either use your Rear 4" speakers, or the sail panel 6.5" 'subs'. Those rear subs were never really audible or noticeable to me personally, and since you're adding a Real sub anyways, their effect would be completely gone.

BTW, I've got an Alpine Type-R also, DualVoiceCoil, its a very nice sub
Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Teching In

I'm going to be doing the same thing here prob this week. Bought a killer Phoenix Gold Roadster 66 5 channel amp and was told by the local Best Buy installer that the best spot for hooking up the amp would be the front door speaker inputs. The sail panels are already set for bass frequency through the oem amp and the rear speakers are already set for high pass frequency leaving the full range doors to go to. I don't want the oem amp setting my bass signal for me,would rather I do that through my Phoenix amp.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-18-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 05-16-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

whatever you do use the output from the headunit for inputs so tap either before headunit or at the amp before it
Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting stuff. SO the rears are just highs. they do sound pretty crap. the Mids aren't very loud at all but I guess they would be the best bet? I'm not feeling like running a wire all the way from the deck all the way back and yes thats my laziness talking ( slept 4 hrs last 3 days lol ). I guess I could use the front speakers, I figure it would be the mid wire I would be after since it's a 2 way.

I don't want to change the deck . the camaro interior is ugly and the stock monsoon matches well. I replaced the front door speakers and I think the system sounds quite decent although it lacks any punch and crisp highs. I blame the excessive road noise too. I think a Sub will really make my smile.

My amp has a plug for the high level input. I am guessing the plug that slips into the amp is lost since it didnt come with it. I guess a converter it is ! I'll keep everyone posted.

So far I bought a stealth box and the alpine sub and have the amp waiting. i'll wire it all up and then drive over the border and plug it all in and drive back.

ANother question, what holds the sub box in place? Is it really snug? or is it bolted/screwed in place? I do corner like a maniac and my suspension is full stiff.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by sporttster
I'm going to be doing the same thing here prob this week. Bought a killer Phoenix Gold Roadster 66 5 channel amp and was told by the local Best Buy installer that the best spot for hooking up the amp would be the front door speaker inputs. The sail panels are already set for bass frequency through the oem amp and the rear speakers are already set for high pass frequency leaving the full range doors to go to. I don't want the oem amp setting my bass signal for me,would rather I do that through my Phoenix amp.
First mistake... listening to a Best Buy installer regarding anything to do with a Monsoon system (actually, listening to a BB installer about anything other than where to get good donuts is problematic).

As pentavolvo said, the best place to connect a LOC is either behind the head unit or at the input side of the factory amp. Both locations will give you full-range signal without additional amplification. Connecting at the speakers (especially the doors because of routing the wires) is counterproductive because you're stepping down signal that has been amplified twice... head unit and factory amp.

BTW, the hatch speakers get full-range signal. In fact, only the sail panel subs and the tweeters get filtered signal - all other speakers get unfiltered full-range signal.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

use speaker level instead..i think..

Quick Reply: RCA Input for amp from Monsoon?? how ???