Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subwoofer wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010 | 10:18 PM
Teching In

Default subwoofer wiring ?

Hey I have a rockford fosgate 10" dual 2 ohm sub going to a rockford 500W amp. I called the company I bought the sub from and the tech guy said to run a wire from the positive from one side of the sub to the negative to the other side. Then run the unused jacks to the amp. I did that and it doesnt seem to be working, the amp has power and everything hooked up from the radio to the amp is correct. Im not sure if the tech guy was confused cuz wouldnt jumping the positive to the negative bump up the ohms to 4 and not 2. I was wonder should I try to run positive from one side to positive to the other and same with the negative. Any help you be great thanks
Old 08-11-2010 | 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

on a dual 2 Ohm sub you can only run on one channel 4Ohm or 1 Ohm.
check out this link http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...1&I=22#results
Old 08-11-2010 | 11:16 PM
Teching In

there are 2 2ohm positive and 2 negative terminals on the amp. would it be better to do the 4ohm load set up. And if I did do that would I run 2 wires the the postive side of the sub and each one would go to one of the 2ohm terminals and do the same for negative.
Old 08-12-2010 | 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

you would run the positive of 1 voice coil to the amp and the negative of the other voice coil to your amp then jump the left over to each other. Follow the posted link for a graphic. Doing this would give you the 4 Ohm load. I would not do the 1 Ohm load unless you know for sure your amp can handle it.
Old 08-12-2010 | 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

You need to make sure that the one wire that's coming from the positive side on your amp to sub is on the same voice coil as the negative wire you have going to your amp.
Old 08-13-2010 | 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen
You need to make sure that the one wire that's coming from the positive side on your amp to sub is on the same voice coil as the negative wire you have going to your amp.
No. When wiring a dual voice coil in series (to produce a 4-ohm load in this case), you need to make sure the positive from one voice coil connects to the amp positive and the negative from the other voice coil connects to the amp negative. Then the negative from the first voice coil connects to the positive of the other.

The idea is that current (signal) flows from the positive on the amp to the positive on the first voice coil, out through the negative to the second voice coil positive, and finally back to the amp from the negative of the second voice coil.