Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Proximity based alarm system..Plus push button start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Proximity based alarm system..Plus push button start?

I'm editing the original post to have this list for anyone who is interested.

The fob completely removes the need for a door key or an ignition key like in corvettes.

Stardrive

This only disarms the alarm and unlock/lock the doors when you are next to the car.

Lassokey.

This actually ties into any existing car alarm with a keyfob.
You have to unlock/lock the doors by pressing button but start the car without ignition key.
(I spoke to this guy and second version is in testing for a unit thats like the first one listed above).

Mustang Keyless

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you MAY be able to wire it up that way, but you would still need a key to unlock your steering wheel. I would think it would be no different from wiring everything to a toggle switch like the hard core drag cars, you would just use relays...
Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks

Do you know if the s2000 buttons can be used to turn the car on and turn it off.
I'm assuming generally people use the key to turn the car off, but I 'll be deleting the ignition key.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really nice project, I would love to do the same thing on my car !!!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

No updates on my end since the alarm I want is out of stock at the moment.

It is definitely feasible, even with the stock or any other after market alarm.

Someone on moddedmustangs put a similar system together using his factory keyless entry system and he's also selling a universal system for sale. According to him, you wouldn't need to turn the key because a Sevro is used to turn the manual cylinder lock thats usually turned by the key.

Link to keyless entry and keyless Igntion Push button start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJdS...layer_embedded

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 08-23-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Nice info, but would it work with vats !!

damm lasso key is expensive but its seems like a nice product, I was looking at the original alarm, which one are you going to get ?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Launching!

I dont know how good this one is, but its a lot cheaper...

http://www.adelcom.net/K-9-sombra-Page.htm
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by emenny81
Nice info, but would it work with vats !!

damm lasso key is expensive but its seems like a nice product, I was looking at the original alarm, which one are you going to get ?
I'm sure 99% of time with an aftermarket alarm VATS bypass is required. lasso key is a lil pricey but its in the range of what a good alarm typically costs. I figure since I 'll deleting the ignition key, VATS and completely relying on the alarm. It should be a high quality system. I am getting the original model (LKAA400)that goes for 299.

Originally Posted by emenny81
I dont know how good this one is, but its a lot cheaper...

http://www.adelcom.net/K-9-sombra-Page.htm
I seen this exact alarm on ebay for $35. I really don't recommend relying on something like this since the remote will be your only access to the car and i doubt it provides any real security.

If you want to just have a push button start and delete the ignition key, you can use the factory keyless entry, factory alarm and you might be able to keep vats.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
No updates on my end since the alarm I want is out of stock at the moment.

It is definitely feasible, even with the stock or any other after market alarm.

Someone on moddedmustangs put a similar system together using his factory keyless entry system and he's also selling a universal system for sale. According to him, you wouldn't need to turn the key because a Sevro is used to turn the manual cylinder lock thats usually turned by the key.

Link to keyless entry and keyless Igntion Push button start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJdS...layer_embedded
I emailed this guy about getting his kit, he wants about 200 bucks, plus 299 for the original lassokey, kinda of pricey but it's pretty cool.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

oh okay. Do you mind sharing the info he sent you. $200 is a bit pricey but I know the fella wants to get paid for his effort. I was going to ask a local alarm place since it looks pretty easy for an alarm installer to follow the step-by-step.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Launching!

oh okay. Do you mind sharing the info he sent you. $200 is a bit pricey but I know the fella wants to get paid for his effort. I was going to ask a local alarm place since it looks pretty easy for an alarm installer to follow the step-by-step.

Here is his email, I Just copy pasted...

Hey what's up, I can wire up the kit so that it works either with your stock alarm system or the LassoKey system, whichever you prefer. If you stay with the stock alarm system, I'd recommend either a hidden master kill switch or a reed starter kill. What you'd do is carry a neodymium coin magnet that you can place onto your key chain, and wire a reed switch under a cupholder. A reed switch is a switch that is activated by a magnetic field. The reed switch will be inline with the starter wire; so to start the car, drop the keys into the cupholder, then hit the on and start buttons. Easy method of incorporating a kill switch, and very few people would be able to figure something like that out. Here's a quick demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jbb9C_w6Og

And in the future if you do upgrade to a different alarm system, it's pretty simple to take out the reed switch and use the onboard starter kill of the alarm system. If you're interested in the setup, I'll send you a folder with the types of switches that you can have. The entire kit runs about $200, more or less depending on what extra features you'd like included.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Launching!

I just found this...

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS2.html
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

copy/paste from another email from the mustang guy.

<Start>
Hey Manny, no sweat on the questions, feel free to give me a call as well if you'd like for me to explain anything. The $50 kit is for Mustangs, and the $200 kit includes an $150 surcharge for all GM vehicles.

just kidding
The $50 kit is for if you'd like to keep your key, meaning insert and turn the key in the ignition to turn the car on, and then hit the start button to turn the engine on. The $200 kit is completely keyless, meaning you just hit the buttons rather than carrying a key with you to turn the car on. What changes the price of the $200 kit are the types of switches, incorporation of kill switch relays or reed switches, and the pulse module. Average price of the kits I've done are right around $170~$220 range. If you'd like to order, we'll go over how many and the types of switches that you'd like to use as well as some form of anti-theft. I take a $50 deposit upon order, and then it takes me about a week to assemble the kit and ship it out.

Thanks,
Jerry

<end>

He's been really great at responding all my emails, seems like he really knows what he is doing...
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Manny,

I spoke to the digital guarddawg guys and their system is $400 for a keyless ignition with push button start and $700 for a proximity based feature added on top of keyless ignition. The keyfob they advertise on the website doesn't work for our cars according to their tech. A credit card size electronic card would be whats needed (too big IMO).

When I asked 'em about the security without a key, the guy on the phone abruptly said "you shouldn't be doing this stuff if your so concerned about security".

Jerry's system sounds promising and the fact you can keep factory alarm or upgrade to any aftermarket alarm with very little change is great.

It seems like basically he 'll be providing a plug and play kit and all we 'd have to do is incorporate it into the right places with the wiring.

Will you be keeping the factory system or getting the lasso key system?

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 08-25-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Manny,

I spoke to the digital guarddawg guys and their system is $400 for a keyless ignition with push button start and $700 for a proximity based feature added on top of keyless ignition. The keyfob they advertise on the website doesn't work for our cars according to their tech. A credit card size electronic card would be whats needed (too big IMO).

When I asked 'em about the security without a key, the guy on the phone abruptly said "you shouldn't be doing this stuff if your so concerned about security".

Jerry's system sounds promising and the fact you can keep factory alarm or upgrade to any aftermarket alarm with very little change is great.

It seems like basically he 'll be providing a plug and play kit and all we 'd have to do is incorporate it into the right places with the wiring.

Will you be keeping the factory system or getting the lasso key system?
at first Im going to keep the factory system, I'll incorporate the lasso key later when I get more cash, Im going to check with Jerry to see if its possible to use the s2000 button, but I'll touch base when I get payed so I dont tire him out with all these questions, his customer service has been really good though. I really like his attitude, and like his email said it should be really easy to incorporate the lasso key system later down the road.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like a good plan.
I'm going to wait for the lassokey and give jerry a call.

Can't wait, this 'd be my coolest mod to the car until I can afford an Ipad!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Sounds like a good plan.
I'm going to wait for the lassokey and give jerry a call.

Can't wait, this 'd be my coolest mod to the car until I can afford an Ipad!

Yeah its pretty sweet !!

Let me know if you find anything new, and what you actually go with...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever happened with this? I actually came across it and thought it was pretty freaking sweet.

In all honesty you wouldn't even need the servo if you just remove the steering column lock all together. Apparently a lot of the later vettes either don't have or have disabled the column lock.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an older push to start remote but IMHO, its almost useless unless it is to warm up the car. To get in and drive away, you still need to turn the car off via remote, then insert the key, then fire it back up and drive off...YMMV
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have remote start but I was under the impression that as long as the key was in the on position you were golden. So you would remote start get in and put the key in and you could drive away, thats why many have an anti-grind feature.

Speaking of putting the key in the ignition that could probably be bypassed by flipping a hidden switch. kinda like one of the switches he has in the mustang. This is all speculation of course but I'm a little familiar with electronics so I don't see why this wouldn't work. It would need a **** ton of time and relays...

Quick Reply: Proximity based alarm system..Plus push button start?