Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Deck now causing terrible buzzing noise after 2 years...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010 | 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Deck now causing terrible buzzing noise after 2 years...

Have an Infinity 4-Channel Amp powering a set of Alpine Type R Coaxials (front) and Alpine Type S Coaxials (back) as well as a Infinity Mono powering two 12" Infinity subs. 98 Firebird Formula. Pioneer Deck. Would have to check model for sure.

Thus far I've had no real problems with the system (built it and installed it roughly 2 years ago). A few days ago I had a very bad buzzing noise coming from the speakers and even a worse alternator whine. I thought it was the amps but plugged in an mp3 player directly to them and had no problems. Thought it was the signal wire but pulled out the deck and ran new rca's across the car to the amps and still had the same problem. So I've managed to figure out its the deck. I jiggled around and quickly brushed over the wires to make sure there wasn't a bad connection especially with the ground but didn't see anything wrong.

Haven't seen anything especially weird about the deck. The noise comes from no matter what source and does not change with volume on the deck. When I move from sound level 1 to 0 it makes a loud popping noise and vice versa.

PS: My alternator also went out the same day all this jazz started happening, I've since replaced it and had no issues alternator-wise. Could I have messed something up with the ground wire down there? Surely not?

Suggestions welcomed!

Last edited by venom889; 08-16-2010 at 03:05 PM.