Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!

I tried installing my Pioneer Deh-6500 headunit tonight in my 99 WS6 and I cut the wires loose of the connector on the stock monsoon system and I hooked up the power wire to the power on my new headunit and hooked up the ground. I can not get the head unit to turn on, but I put a meter to the power wire and it has power to it. If anyone can help me out, I would apreciate it. Thanks, Matt
Old 01-28-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you wire in the 3rd wire (yellow I believe) that turns on with the key? It should measure 12 volts when you turn the key to either ON or ACCY position.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Head unit

I only used the yellow ignition power wire. Should I have put both the orange 12v constant power and the yellow 12v ignition power up to the power cable on my head unit? Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, you should have 3 different wires going to 3 different wires to your head unit. Orange, yellow and black.
One is constant 12v that never turns off, that is for your head unit memory (stations, clock and such).
One that goes to 12 when the key is turned on, that actuall tells your head unit to come alive.
And one for Ground.
You have to connect all 3 car wires to 3 different head unit wires for it to work properly.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Default head unit

I know of the 3 wire you are talking about from the stock harness, yellow 12v ignition, 12v constant, and ground, but in the back of my harness of my new Pioneer I only have a yellow power and a black ground enless I'm missing somthing. Please let me know. Thanks, Matt
Old 01-28-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, well I can not speak for the Head unit. It should say which wire to use in the installation booklet. There has to be one more wire for it to turn on.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked up your head unit online, the cars orange wire should connect to the head units yellow wire.
The cars Yellow wire should hook up to the head units red wire.
And last black to black
Old 01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wildman
I looked up your head unit online, the cars orange wire should connect to the head units yellow wire.
The cars Yellow wire should hook up to the head units red wire.
And last black to black
Thanks for the help, I just tried that and I still have nothing. I don't know what is wrong. I guess my head unit doesn't work. Thanks again for the help