Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory Amp and Component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Amp and Component speakers

I've got an 06 MCSS with factory 8 speaker premium sound and the factory amp. I replaced the rear speakers with a set of Polk DB series component speakers with the external crossover box. The problem I'm running into is that the amp puts out a feed for the factory mid/tweeter and one for the factory 6x9 subs (total of 4 wires for each side's speaker assembly). I can plug in either set (bass or mid/treb) with no issue but I can't get the speakers to accept both inputs. When I try to use both of them I get a ton of static and distortion. So at the moment I'm stuck with either no bass or all bass. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Like the Monsoon, the signal is already filtered by the factory amp. You will have to lose the crossover and connect the Polk components using the factory connections.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just hook the wires running directly from the factory harness to their respective speaker? I'm having a similar dilemma wiring my tweeter and mid-bass setup on the front door panels of my Camaro
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes, the Camaro has component speakers in the doors (the tweeters are mounted inside the mids so it looks like a normal coaxial but they are wired separately). The signal for the tweeters is already filtered at the Monsoon amp so you just have to be sure to connect the correct pair to your component tweeters when replacing them.