Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Road Rage defensive light thingy... (high beams in reverse)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011 | 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Use a H1, H2, H3, H6 or H7 bulb with an HID kit. Use a relay to trigger the hid kit from the reverse light wire for normal operation. Add a switch with diode to the reverse light wire for switched operation. If this is what you want to do, it can be done. I'm planning on putting HIDs in my reverse lights, but only for brighter light while backing out of driveways.
Old 02-23-2011 | 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

I don't know of anyone making HID capsules to fit a 3157 socket so you'd have to do some modifying to even fit them in the backup lights. It would be much easier to just buy a pair of the 3157 halogen replacement bulbs. They're 50 watts each and will plug right into the factory socket without any ballast or relays. Just don't leave them on too long because the small housing can't handle the heat.
Old 02-25-2011 | 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be interested in just swapping the 3157 bulb out with like an H7 bulb or something for better reversing... don't care much for the idea of reverse lights while driving, seems like a good way to get someone seriously pissed. Usually better to slow troll someone.... tranny in neutral until they pass, or you come to a stop, then... worst case scenario just make a good hard pull through a couple gears

Edit: Do any of the H-Series bulbs actually fit in that housing without any significant modifications

Last edited by Fosnot; 02-25-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2011 | 07:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

My mistake... the backup lights are actually 3156 single filament rather than 3157 dual filament. I hadn't had my coffee when I posted before.

A quick search on Google using "3156 halogen" turned up a number of places selling the 50 watt bulbs. That would be nearly as bright as low beam headlights.
Old 02-25-2011 | 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I haven't read all the posts, so sry if someone mentioned this, but y not just get one of thoes 15 million candlepower lights that plugs into your cigarette lighter, and place/ mount it so it is pointing out your backglass, then when you want to use it, just plug it in.???
Old 02-25-2011 | 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

I think your playing with Fire! Where i live most people carry a gun in their car. If someone flashes you with their headlights just move over and let them by? People using a car for somthing like this and someone gets hurt is Assult with a deadly wepon, do you really want to go to Prison and sit next to Bubba? LOL
Old 02-25-2011 | 10:39 PM
On The Tree

whitebird00, there are owners of jeep grand cherokee wj's that use an h series bulb, i believe h6 as an hid reverse light mod. Wj's also use 3156 bulbs. Of course there is modification involved but it shouldnt be too significant on f bodies. I'm hoping to tackle this project soon and if no one has done it by the time i do, ill provide a write up.
Old 02-28-2011 | 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crispy
whitebird00, there are owners of jeep grand cherokee wj's that use an h series bulb, i believe h6 as an hid reverse light mod. Wj's also use 3156 bulbs. Of course there is modification involved but it shouldnt be too significant on f bodies. I'm hoping to tackle this project soon and if no one has done it by the time i do, ill provide a write up.
I'd be interested in that, pics tho
Old 02-28-2011 | 02:16 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

On the original point, not that I condone this... There was a video I saw many years ago of a 3000GT that put giant fog lights in as reverse lights. They were on a switch as well that could be activated while driving. This was before the HID craze so I'm not sure of how bright they'd be by today's standards.

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Always handy to carry some sort of junk (maybe only pennies) in your car to throw out when needed
I have a collection of random large bolts with bolts on them for specific people on local roads that like to try to turn left, pull out, and then completely block off a lane of traffic.

Originally Posted by safemode
this is what happens when you mix people who have issues being passed (usually by people going dangerously faster than all the surrounding traffic and definitely over the speed limit), and anger management issues.

Note: you're not going to lose alpha dog status on the road if you get passed and if you're getting passed you yield. It doesn't matter if the guy behind you is going 40 miles over the speed limit and you're doing what you think is the fastest you should go over the speed limit. The rules dont make you the arbitrator of the road, they tell you to yield. You yield to faster cars, you yield to crazy people. You dont try to out-crazy them.
Winner. I am one of those people that drive about 25+ over the limit on the highway. If you are in the left lane and driving near the same speed (5-10ish) as the person in the next lane you need to pass them and move over. The simple answer is to speed up or move over. It isn't road rage it is common sense.
Old 02-28-2011 | 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

This has worked for me on a few occasions of someone riding up on me with high-beams

Old 02-28-2011 | 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

LOL^ Do you have a write up on that one?
Old 03-01-2011 | 12:22 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ That just looks retarded. It would make me want to pass you even more. It would probably make me think WTF and possibly laugh though.
Old 03-01-2011 | 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

but then again we know cars, look at the stupid stuff people have said thread. throw in a couple random brake taps and i'm sure many people behind would freak out
Old 03-01-2011 | 08:07 AM
On The Tree

I dont mind dumb ideas like this. Cuz eventually the guy who does this is gonna be a douche to a bigger douche and since neither one of them has the mental capacity to back down, the universe will balance itself out the only way it can.

Also, you would think people would like their cars too much to make it a target like that. Less it's a beater.

Quick Reply: Road Rage defensive light thingy... (high beams in reverse)