Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NEW!!! CDT Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Sub Prototypes: Check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the install pics. I did use a Dynamat Speaker kit to help with deadening and provide a nice tight seal, even below where the wires go through. The stock wiring was used and the stock amp along with the stock head unit. Only aftermarket pieces are the door speaker CL-E61CV and the sail panels upgraded to the HD-6M DVC. Install took about 35 minutes from start to finish with Dynamat and a couple pauses for a drink of water. The spring loaded terminals are a dream to work with and takes only a few seconds to put the stock terminals on. One picture shows the back of the stock speaker, the HD sub is under it so you can see how the holes line up. They are perfect!
Here you go:

Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started looking into replacing my speakers and i'm just now learning about all the 4ohm, 2 ohm, svc, dvc stuff. If I have a camaro would this DVC speaker be an option with just the stock hu and amp? I know the Camaro originally has just the SVC. If so, is it pretty much plug n play or would I have to do so rewiring? Not looking to rattle the doors off, just want a clean sound for all kinds of music with some tight hard hitting bass.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spink
I just started looking into replacing my speakers and i'm just now learning about all the 4ohm, 2 ohm, svc, dvc stuff. If I have a camaro would this DVC speaker be an option with just the stock hu and amp? I know the Camaro originally has just the SVC. If so, is it pretty much plug n play or would I have to do so rewiring? Not looking to rattle the doors off, just want a clean sound for all kinds of music with some tight hard hitting bass.
PM Sent.
There is already a single voice coil version of these out and available. I have lowered the price on them as well and they are featured in the Camaro package I do for the sail panel replacements.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how are these for a potential 10" sub replacement? I have 2 sets of 6.5" BA components and a BA 10" sub in the trunk. I'de like to lose the sub and use the space for other things.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

I would say that they would not be a replacement for a solid 10" sub. A cheap 10" sub it could. They are still a 6.75" sub so surface area prevents them from putting out that kind of output.
For that kind of output that would replace a larger type of sub this would do it on aftermarket power with a small spacer I have (I can get you a nice deal on these):
http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/subwoofers/qes680.htm

The HD-6M DVC will put out more bass then stock, clean up the bass, get rid of the muddiness, and put out even more bass on aftermarket power with deadener and not need solder or crimp connectors for easy install. Depending on the type of 10" sub you can get close to that output with these but replace a good 10" subs output completely, I don't think it would. It would put out more then a cheapo 10" sub though.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you think that you might include the new speakers in one of your speaker kits???
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dave70
Do you think that you might include the new speakers in one of your speaker kits???
I definitely will be doing that. The Bazookas will remain with the standard package, then a premium package with the HD-6 DVC for the Firebird. I also will have a super premium with these and the 4" component set and a different set of components for the front doors.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good ****, cant wait.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

Just with what we had in Woody's WS6 it was sick sounding. Even I was blown away with the stock system. We were using the stock radio and amp. Keep in mind this car was bought by Wood brand new off the show room floor back in 02 when they made the announcement of no more F Bodies and has been meticulously maintained. Literally it is like a new car but with a couple of performance enhancements.
The only upgrades I did on the car for audio was the CL-E61CV and the new prototype HD subs. We were able to push the system so hard that the rear stock hatch speakers were starting to fail while the others were crystal clear. I was very impressed and to be quite honest was a little surprised. I knew it would be an improvement but I was surprised it was that much of an improvement. Woody was surprised as well.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

does woody wanna sell his car.....er............speakers
Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

would the super premium set work with the stock amp?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
does woody wanna sell his car.....er............speakers
LOL...No way, he bought that car as soon as they made the announcement in 02 about no more F-Bodys....well at least Firebirds anyway. He has that next to his 1979 WS6 Trans Am with original paint and birds on it that he has had since high school. High school was back in 89.
As for the speakers, those are the only set right now except for the set over at CDT in CA. It looks like we are a go on these though. I liked everything I saw and heard from them plus install is a breeze.

Originally Posted by dave70
would the super premium set work with the stock amp?
In this case that is a big yes. I was blown away by what I heard with the stock stuff and these speakers. The EU-61CV and these were incredible. With the upgraded rear hatch components you would think it is an aftermarket system in the car. IMO. We had it cranked and it sounded clear and loud. I will have to replace the rear hatch soon. They could not handle the same power the front and sails were taking.

CDT has authorized me to take preorders on them so if your interested please email me: keeaudio@bellsouth.net
Price will be $155.99 for a pair with free shipping within the continental US. I have not put this up on the site yet but depending on number of emails I will do this Wednesday. Price for the premium package deal and super premium package will remain the same with these in the Firebird version. I will also take preorders on these as well and put that on there. Estimated time of arrival would be late August or sooner. It would take 60 days for the first batch to be mass produced and shipped when we give the green light.
Let me know if your interested by shooting me an email and I can give Ken the green light on these.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I didn't realize this was for firebirds only. Headed over to your site to check out the Camaro option right now
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by k0261886
Sorry I didn't realize this was for firebirds only. Headed over to your site to check out the Camaro option right now
The Camaro option is already available in HD and CL versions. You guys are easier to make speakers for with the exception of the front doors but I have that covered for you as well. Check out the packages for the Camaro's, I put all of my packages together several years ago specifically for these cars and they work very well. Selected specifically to work with the stock mounts and wiring.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, this looks really good! Who wants to buy Bazookas? PM me!! Haha
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

$155.99 shipped? Yeah, I'm in for sure! I can't wait for these to be produced!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Let us know when you get the preorder link up on the website. I've been driving around with no bass for too long.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking for a 6.5" sub that can get loud enough to sound "correct" along side my component fronts and rears and I utterly destroyed 2 Lanzar VW64's at what appeared to be half the volume level that I was putting to the rest of the speakers. Are there any subs in the 6.5" range that can keep itself together at around 150watt rms or should i take the dremel to the sail panels and find an 8" sub. ?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What actually is involved in the installation of the Camaro system? Do I have to cut off the factory speaker connector and solder/crimp to new speakers? I have NO stereo experience; therefore, I don't feel comfortable installing myself if I have to cut-up harnesses and all that. What kind of AMP do you recommend for the system in a Camaro? I would like to have a 10" sub or maybe even two in the back as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

the op has a store with "packages" of speakers you can drop in to the monsoon setup + you can run an amp back to subs.. but if you have no experience, you'll probably end up with an installer doing all the leg work anyway. You just need to decide how much you want to spend.

Quick Reply: NEW!!! CDT Dual Voice Coil 6.5" Sub Prototypes: Check it out!!!