Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need more range!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more range!

Looking for more range with no weight gain. I have a 93 t/a. Would some 3-way speakers with another amp improve on the lows? I am also adding a 10 inch sub soon. I don't need a ton of bass, but I like to hear all of the notes. So, what I have is:
5 channel amp
10" sub w/hideaway enclosure
High powered headunit

Does anybody have suggestions to improve the sound?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3-way speakers are a joke and will not provide any low end at all. A 3-way component set is not but you really don't have room for that.
A high powered head unit should make no difference as far as power if your running an aftermarket amp or any external amp for that matter because the power is supplied by the external amp at that point not the amp inside the head unit. In your case you would be using a 5-channel amp so that amp is what dictates power.
For a good sounding system that hits the frequencies you are refering to you need a quality set of components up front. I have some new bass enhanced CDT front components that were just released. They would do well for what you are talking about. For the rear you can do 2 things. One is to run a coaxial that would give you some rear fill. Second is to run a quality midbass driver that would hit the kick drum the kick drum type frequencies and bridge any gap in range. I like that because the midbass drivers from CDT have broad range and actually hit midrange frequencies as well so they are a great rear fill that does not bring the ear backward by having high notes coming from there.
What sub are you going to run in the back?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cheap MTX thunderform sub. I was going to see how that worked out and possibly upgrade in the future.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is actually a good idea. The enclosure is good, the sub is not BUT run it till it blows and then you still have the enclosure and you can upgrade to a nice sub as most nicer subs will still fit in a Thunderform and perform well in that enclosure. Your on the right track!
The thing you want to do right now with the equipment you have is use a nice set of components up front. Skip all the other speakers for now. Run the doors and the the Thunderform off the amp. This would be a good sound quality type setup and give you good range and depth.
I have really nice component sets starting around $100.00 shipped that will get you what your looking for and sound good with your current and future sub.