Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

AVH-4300/CDT install thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 915 Likes on 655 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

One question I do have is how to wire this sub up. It's dual voice coil and if I read the instructions right its going to be at 2 ohms.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see this!!! Thx J for making the thread and TruBloodT/A for commenting, this will make my install much easier.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Is this right?

The amp has a mono sub out but has two positives/negatives that are wired parallel inside the amp.

The directions say the amp shouldn't be wired for anything below 2ohms. 300w@2 ohms, 250@3 and 200@4.

I'm wondering if I can run it paralleled off the amp. Have each of the power outputs from the sub go to each voice coil. I don't know what my ohms would be though. I really don't understand this ****. LOL

Last edited by LilJayV10; 07-03-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

That is right, same type of diagram I sent you in the PM. You have it right, and it will hit fine at 4ohm.
You can't run it parallel as the amp is not 1ohm stable on that channel and could damage it if it is not made to run at 1ohm. 2 and 4ohm is fine on that amp. Remember double the power is not double the sound output, it only increases about 2-3db. With the bass boost and tuning the sub channel you will have plenty of bass.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

OK. Thanks for the response. I got your PM. It's hard to not get caught up in the numbers especially when you don't know what they mean. It's kinda like dyno numbers.

As long as it will still hit hard that's all that I am concerned about. I won't have anything to compare it to anyway.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Banned

Sure you will...when you pull up next to the guy with the trunk rattling, you will be able to drown him out completely with a single 10" sub.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I've been wanting to sound deaden my entire car for a LONG time..

Anyone have any luck with LizzardSkin roll-on? (Don't mean to jack)
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well I worked on the damn thing for 8 hours today. Wired the sub to 4ohms.I got the drivers door back together including speakers, ESOlite. Took the passenger door apart, replaced the window motor, installed Raamatt, ESOlite and both speakers. Hooked up both crossovers.

All the speakers work. I swear the passenger side tweeter is louder that the drivers. I know I have everything wired up right.

Anyhow I know it needs to be tuned. I was looking through the amp directions and it was explaining how to do it. Wow I have a lot to learn before I do it.

I know having it calibrated is important. I had my home theather and TV calibrated several years back and it made a huge difference.

Ian, get ready for some questions. LOL.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Actually I think I might have the tweeters wired backwards. I remember the instructions from my wifes truck that the wire with the tracer is the positive. I'm use to the tracer wire being negative. I've looked through the instructions for my component speakers and it doesn't say.

I just did a google search and found a response from Ian on the matter on this forum.

Son of a...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Also check the crossover. They are adjustable and the output may be adjusted differently on one. You have to take the top off the crossover...it just pops off and then you have a switch. Put the switch on +3 and then adjust it on the head unit as needed. At +3 it has full output. That way you can adjust it down on your head unit accordingly through the EQ settings.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

I switched the wires at the crossover. It was easier than taking the door panel off at the moment. Definitely sounds better. I'll send you a PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

I finished up the last of it tonight. Installed the PAC SWI-PS. Once my newby *** realized the connector you splice into is the factory radio harness it didn't take to long. My second attempt was successful and it works great.

With a lot of help from Ian I started calibrating the system. I think i have a little to much power to the front's and not enough to the mids. I don't know if it would be better to turn the gain down on the amp or use the fader and bias the rear speakers a little more.

I secured the wires to the inside of the door to keep them away from the window.

Here's few pics of my finishing the doors. I put some ESOlite around the rods in the doors. The rods on the door latch I couldn't get a good pic of but I'm sure everyone gets the idea. Mine always seem to rattle.

I then put one piece of ESOlite covering the door. Before anyone says "You will have to replace the window motor again", I attached the ESOlite to the plastic weather barrier and cut the holes out for the window adjustments. So when I do have to replace the motor the ESOlite will come off in one piece.

I got about half of the interior in tonight. It was nice to have everything out to clean it. I put the front seats in and I had to go drive it. It's been over two months since I have.

All I can say is wow. The car doesn't rattle/vibrate like it did before. The doors sound solid when I close them instead of hollow and stuff rattling around inside.

I had the windows down and the t tops out but the sound quality was still great and the sub still shook the car.

I watched the beginning of Transformers. It's pretty cool to have surround sound in your car.

A little more tweeking of the inputs and maybe some break in time for the speakers and I think it will be just about perfect.

Thanks to Ian for all of his patience, help and some really good products.

Thanks for Dennis@ DD for a great looking bezel.

After I get the interior back in this weekend I will take some pics.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everything looks great LilJay. Props to you for doing your homework and doing the dirty work yourself. I've been talking to Ian myself about what package would suit my needs, he'll definitely be hearing from me in the next couple weeks for sure. How do you like the Pioneer HU? For the life of me I cannot chose between a Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony in dash dvd unit. Specifically, how is the EQ function?

And again, very nice job man!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Pioneer, Kenwood, and JVC would be my top picks. The JVC and Pioneer units are great bang for the buck. I am not a big fan of Sony. I used one of there nicer units that came in my DD truck and I was not impressed with the sound at all. I have a JVC in there now and it sounds great. Been using JVC for years in my vehicles. I do like Pioneer though but they have a more processed sound to me. I like to have a more natural sound and add to it if I need to.
The EQ function is a 10 band I think? I remember it was a large EQ not your basic high mid low. Anyway it works very well and is easy to access along with the other menus is very easy to operate and works well.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Banned

LilJay, set your gains accordingly as you do not want to have to use the fader for that. Maybe set the gain in the rear higher and leave the front one alone. Then you have the headroom if you need it and can just turn down the volume.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Everything looks great LilJay. Props to you for doing your homework and doing the dirty work yourself. I've been talking to Ian myself about what package would suit my needs, he'll definitely be hearing from me in the next couple weeks for sure. How do you like the Pioneer HU? For the life of me I cannot chose between a Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony in dash dvd unit. Specifically, how is the EQ function?

And again, very nice job man!
I would stay away from the Sony. Might want to check out Alpine instead.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

LilJay you shoulda done the door crack fix mod and the AutoTrix mod while you had everything apart.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
LilJay you shoulda done the door crack fix mod and the AutoTrix mod while you had everything apart.
Shoot me a PM about that if you could. I want to do the passenger side mod with the relays and such so the motor gets full power.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks for the reply Rare96!

I took the car out today and washed it. It's in need of some clear coat correction something fierce! That's next on the list.

Washed the car and took it to the house. Wife made a comment the car looked nice as it had been in the driveway for two months now with me working on it. As anyone who works on car's for a living knows you get to work on your **** last.

She listened to it for a few minutes and was like yeah it sounds good. Worked at the house all day and went and picked her up. I was thinking "good"? **** woman you just don't know.

Long story short I took her out in the car tonight and played a few of her favorite songs. She started grinning from ear to ear. Next she is messing with the settings on the H/U.

Ian, I have spent thousands on suspension parts, Koni's, Strano springs/bars, Watt's setup you name it....nothing.

Heads/cam/Intake 430rwhp.....nothing.

Pioneer/CDT/JL.......wet.

She want's to do a Cobra kit car with a LS turbo motor(that was my idea)and she starts yelling, I want my car to sound like that.

I am very fortunate to get to work on some pretty rare cars any my job but I don't think I have ever seen her THIS excited.

The sound quality is fantastic. It can get louder than I can listen to it. Ian you were right. The bass is tight but is stupid loud when you turn it up. With the H/U setup right the air coming off the speakers will actually move your clothes you are wearing.

Everything is really tight. It's not just noise that shakes the whole car. If a good hip hop/rap song comes on you can turn the sub up some and shake the **** out of the car but still sound good.

I think some of it has to do with the sound deading I did. I say this with really no way to compare it. As I said the sub hits extremely hard but is tight. There are no vibrations and no rattles. As the wife put it. "It doesn't sound ghetto."

Very happy with it.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Shoot me a PM about that if you could. I want to do the passenger side mod with the relays and such so the motor gets full power.
Here is where I got mine from:
http://www.autotrix.net/Product-Pass...Fix-Kit_1.aspx

I used the instructions in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...step-pics.html

Door crack fix:
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html

Quick Reply: AVH-4300/CDT install thread