Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee's Ultra High End (Kinda!) & MORE: Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some pictures up of the tweeter pods when you get them installed.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

what size were the door speakers? did you have a monsoon radio before, with the tweeter above the door speaker?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
Get some pictures up of the tweeter pods when you get them installed.
Will do! Working right now on figuring the mounting procedure. I have the interior installed again so I'm a little less worried about losing bolts and clips now.

Originally Posted by WSsic66
what size were the door speakers? did you have a monsoon radio before, with the tweeter above the door speaker?
Yes, my car had the monsoon setup, however I have a Camaro, so no tweeters existed.

The door speakers were either 6.5" or 6.75" Fits greatly. Just had to keep the bolts loose until I had each slightly threaded.

Right now, I'm searching the internet to figure out how to tune and to see if I need to use any filters or anything. I had no clue car audio became this in-depth.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are the tweeter mounts universal or do they come with adapters for different tweeters?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Are the tweeter mounts universal or do they come with adapters for different tweeters?
These mounts came with the tweeters. There is a large base, small base, and an angled base for imaging.

There are two pegs on the tweeters that the base twists onto.

I'm sure I can sand the pegs down to make them narrower to meet the base on the other side. Like I said in an earlier post, they are only a hair off, so remedying this would be an easy fix.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you put the 2nd set of tweeters? I also have a set of tweeter pod on the way.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Where did you put the 2nd set of tweeters? I also have a set of tweeter pod on the way.
Hypothetically, they should be mounted on the glass. But I have a strange, **** thought process that won't allow me to mount them there. So, as a result, I'm thinking of mounting them in the top portion of the A-Pillar to recess them while also keeping the purpose of reflecting them off the glass.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rauch
Hypothetically, they should be mounted on the glass. But I have a strange, **** thought process that won't allow me to mount them there. So, as a result, I'm thinking of mounting them in the top portion of the A-Pillar to recess them while also keeping the purpose of reflecting them off the glass.
Ok, I will be looking for more pic's of your install.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any up dates
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Any up dates
Not too much over the weekend. Jut messing around with the tuning aspect. and right now, it's raining, so I'm going to have to wait for it to stop. I think I'm going to work on mounting the tweeters in the pods now.

Other than that, the only things left on my agenda are:

1) Installing Tweeters & Pods
2) Wiring the Tweeters
3) Some final Tuning to the system
4) Work on some sort of cable management so I do not have this massive rats nest behind the panel

I believe I have some more photos to upload from just before the weekend. Things got a little busy over the weekend due to a wedding, but are slowing back down again so I can finish this up!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

I had no clue car audio became this in-depth.

until i really got into it. I never new so much existed. and some of the things i said i would never buy make me never want to go back to a stock stereo again!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

As of Friday, here's where I was....

Saturday, I got all the interior paneling and seats reinstalled. As of right now, I'm working on installing the tweeters. Just finished mounting them! Take a look:

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 880 Likes on 627 Posts

I have the same sub, sub box and amp. I love them.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Boo.

So I was out there wiring everything up, taking the door panels off, etc. to wire the tweeters in.

And to my luck, I ended up breaking through the plastic in the screw holes for the 6LE Tweeter Pods. Sadly, the most necessary part of the pods was the weakest.

Probably going to fill them with epoxy to fix them and than install them once and for all. The plastic in the holes was VERYYYYY thin. Almost as thin as a sheet of paper.

So, on the agenda for daylight is fixing those holes, installing them, one final tune, and a reorganizing, shortening where necessary, and straightening up the wiring mess in the back.

I have the whole tuning process down now, and will most likely do a complete write-up on the process as well to help those is the future when they add a sub, a whole new system, etc. Anything where an amplifier is added for the most part!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Teching In

everything looks great!

the only thing i didnt really like is that the tweeters stick out REALLY far. beats doing what i did tho i guess. Good Job!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flush the tweets into those pods
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
flush the tweets into those pods
I've debated that, but currently can't decide, haha.

How they sit now puts them at a perfect angle and distance to your ears. They come out to about the defroster vents on the A-Pillars. If I was to recess them, I don't have a plate to secure them in... I suppose that weatherstrip adhesive I used on my hatch seal would work though.... That stuff is relentless and has a strong bond.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Teching In

point is, it works and it looks good just us being picky.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boo.

So I was out there wiring everything up, taking the door panels off, etc. to wire the tweeters in.

And to my luck, I ended up breaking through the plastic in the screw holes for the 6LE Tweeter Pods. Sadly, the most necessary part of the pods was the weakest.

Probably going to fill them with epoxy to fix them and than install them once and for all. The plastic in the holes was VERYYYYY thin. Almost as thin as a sheet of paper.

So, on the agenda for daylight is fixing those holes, installing them, one final tune, and a reorganizing, shortening where necessary, and straightening up the wiring mess in the back.

I have the whole tuning process down now, and will most likely do a complete write-up on the process as well to help those is the future when they add a sub, a whole new system, etc. Anything where an amplifier is added for the most part!
Sounds like the thermal former was cranked up a bit too much. Normally, you have to use a washer with the screw to distribute the weight as, just by the nature of the way these are made, the plastic is thin there (they start off as a sheet of plastic that is heated up and thermal formed over a mold so the holes are where the plastic is stretched the most and therefore thinnest) but sometimes they are thinner than usual and we try to catch it..
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Sounds like the thermal former was cranked up a bit too much. Normally, you have to use a washer with the screw to distribute the weight as, just by the nature of the way these are made, the plastic is thin there (they start off as a sheet of plastic that is heated up and thermal formed over a mold so the holes are where the plastic is stretched the most and therefore thinnest) but sometimes they are thinner than usual and we try to catch it..
Ahh. Good to learn something new. I always wondered how things were molded like that. I'm afraid to ask how much a machine for that costs! Seeing as the amount of plastic used can't be that expensive (I don't think.) Plus the time developing the mold plus production costs... I'm sure it all balances out somewhere along the line. Anyway, I just coated the back side of the recessed hole piece with plastic epoxy, a light coating of it on the mounting surface, and let it dry for about an hour while I tuned everything. Than, I drilled the hole, used a slightly larger in diameter screw with a larger head, and now it's stuck there better than ever!

Alright guys, I finished the install about an hour ago, and everything turned out great. (Hoping I didn't blow the passenger side front speaker. ) It sounds slightly different at times, but not always. I hear a rattling sound. May be the mount or something vibrating though. Not too worried, because it still plays amazing. What I did realize is each channel was receiving a different voltage. In the first set of channels, the right side voltage is slightly higher by about a volt or so above the left side. The second set of channels had the left side voltage a bit higher than the right.

Now, I've got a little lump in my carpet that the SS Carpet pad in the hatch covers from the wiring but oh well. No big deal.

Overall, everything came together greatly. It took me a little longer than I expected, but I can't control weather and sunlight as well as pre-existing plans.

The speakers at the maximum volume that I tuned them at (30/35) sound great. They aren't deafening by any means. If I was to upgrade to a bigger amp that had double the RMS output, it would only increase by about 3dB or so. So, it's really not even worth that! Especially since this amp sits nicely in the stock location with no wiring mess to be seen. The only thing I may do in the future is add another subwoofer on the passenger side in a stealth box.

The bass is output is clean and hits hard. And the biggest advantage is that there's no rattling whatsoever. Which, coming from vehicles with trunks is all you'd hear.

With the car running, with true duals, windows up, and doors closed, you barely hear it on the outside of the car. But once you step inside it's loud and clear and drowns out most of the exhaust noise. With the car off in the same situation, you can hear it a little more clearly on the outside. Perhaps because I'm used to true duals, I don't realize how loud they really are? With my house doors closed and my car 30 feet away, idling, I can hear it pretty clearly.

With everything open and the car on AND off you can hear everything very well. But the true beauty comes when you set foot inside the car and are immersed with the sound. Everything is great. Much better than my lack of factory speakers and everything blends in well with every other speaker.

Let me know if you guys are interested in a write-up for tuning amplifiers. I spent a good bit of time researching how to do it properly and understand it pretty well now.

Last edited by Rauch; 09-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Kee's Ultra High End (Kinda!) & MORE: Install