Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Deadening Project in a 2002 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Damn, now I'm going to have to do that too.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Very Clean 100 Thumbs Up
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

How much did the 200 sqft of deadener weigh (shipped)?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Wow very nice and thorough write up man!
How heavy you think the sound deadener was?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpittman
How much did the 200 sqft of deadener weigh (shipped)?
It was 80 Lbs.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Nice work, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

How easy was it to get a 2 din radio to fit? I am looking at putting 1 in.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

I'm just going to throw this out there....

Before you guys go laying fat mat all over your cars ensure that you're doing your research on these products as they are not all equal. Fat Mat has quite a niche and that is because of it's price, however it isn't butyl based like a higher quality deadener. If a deadening product isn't butyl based it is tar and asphalt. Not necessarily the best in regards to a tar like odor or heat resistance for years and years espcially in a vertical or inverted application. You don 't have to buy Second Skin or Dynamat but there are alternatives. Also a layer of closed cell foam over your work would have been a very nice touch. Generally 50% coverage over a resonate panel is plently to eliminate all vibration harmonics from the panel you are working on. The matting you put in isn't effective costwise as a barrier. deadener yes, barrier no. Although your install looks a bit different than the route I plan, it looks very neatly done.

I have recently gotten some BXT II and ensolite in the mail to begin a project like this in my 2009 Avalanche.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Little over kill. But hey why not when you ripped everything out of it. Good job on the hard work.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WSsic66
Little over kill. But hey why not when you ripped everything out of it. Good job on the hard work.
I'll explain to you why...

If you were to strike a cymbal with a drumstick it only takes a light touch from two fingers to dampen and eventually silence it. A metal panel or your door for example is no different. If you're trying to eliminate resonant sound generated from your car door this can still be accomplished by covering no more than 50% of it's surface area as opposed to 100%. There is little to nothing to be gained in regards to what the product is designed for.

You can use that extra 50% of what you would have spent on dampening materials on a closed cell foam or mass loaded vinyl which IS an effective acoustical barrier. These materials are designed and intended for 100% coverage.

I also think that overkill is underrated, but not in this application. That **** is alot of work an expensive. Sometimes less is better also.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

RAAMMat BXT II is what I recommend on a budget but I don't recommend Ensolite - and I DID use it in my Camaro. I eventually replaced it with Second Skin Luxury Liner MLV. Much more useful for killing road noise which F-bodies have a TON of. With LL, my Camaro was quieter than just about any stock car - even a high-end Lexus (or whatever your quality benchmark is) - other than the stupid window noise.

My G8 has RAAMMat BXT II, Second Skin AlphaDamp and a little bit of Ensolite (NOT used to reduce road noise but more of a gap filler - the G8 is already reasonably quiet when it comes to road noise - which is why I didn't buy Luxury Liner for it. My Camaro was still quieter, though (again, other than window noise))
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
RAAMMat BXT II is what I recommend on a budget but I don't recommend Ensolite - and I DID use it in my Camaro. I eventually replaced it with Second Skin Luxury Liner MLV. Much more useful for killing road noise which F-bodies have a TON of. With LL, my Camaro was quieter than just about any stock car - even a high-end Lexus (or whatever your quality benchmark is) - other than the stupid window noise.

My G8 has RAAMMat BXT II, Second Skin AlphaDamp and a little bit of Ensolite (NOT used to reduce road noise but more of a gap filler - the G8 is already reasonably quiet when it comes to road noise - which is why I didn't buy Luxury Liner for it. My Camaro was still quieter, though (again, other than window noise))
You didn't remove the ensolite did you? You just placed the mlv over it I'm sure. If you can, use both as the ensolite will improve results over mlv alone.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Does anyone have photos of this closed cell foam? The Ensolite or Second Skin LL?

I've never seen anyone install it on here.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joblo1978
You didn't remove the ensolite did you? You just placed the mlv over it I'm sure. If you can, use both as the ensolite will improve results over mlv alone.
I did remove the Ensolite, yes. But it is indeed better than nothing.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by No Juice
Does anyone have photos of this closed cell foam? The Ensolite or Second Skin LL?

I've never seen anyone install it on here.
It can be found with a google, ensolite is approx. 1/8" thick foam. It's peel and stick or can be put down with sprayglue. Luxury liner can be found on their site. It's heavy vinyl that weighs about 1 lb. Per sq. In.

Luxury liner pro is backed with a layer of closed cell foam.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Luxury Liner and LL Pro are the same type of product, MLV+foam, but the pro is thicker. They do have a MLV-only product but I forget what it's called at the moment (not LL).
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Luxury Liner and LL Pro are the same type of product, MLV+foam, but the pro is thicker. They do have a MLV-only product but I forget what it's called at the moment (not LL).

From their site...

What is the difference between Luxury Liner and Luxury Liner Pro?Both MLV noise barrier products reduce airborne noise.
Both incorporate a heavy Mass Loaded Vinyl arrier, but use different sound absorbing foam decouplers. Regular Luxury Linerdumis bonded to an open celled foam while Luxury Liner Pro is bonded to a closed cell foam. The purpose of the foam on MLVdumnoise barriersdumis two part. First, it elevates the MLV vinyl off of the CLD sound deadener,dumacting as a decoupler helping to slow down the transfer of airborne noise.dum

Second, thedumfoam decoupler on the MLV noise barrier filters out high rangedumairborne sound waves, helping to increase the overall sound deadening and noise damping results of the mass loaded vinyl barrier.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Luxury liner can be found on their site. It's heavy vinyl that weighs about 1 lb. Per sq. In.
Inch? Did you type that correctly?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
Inch? Did you type that correctly?
No I did not, thanks for clearing that up. It's actually per square ft.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much better. Roughly 60lbs on the floor, another 12 on the doors? Pretty reasonable honestly.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Project in a 2002 Camaro