Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Do I even need rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
@ Dragonrage - Say if I were to add a new 4 channel amp... How do you think it would sound if I turned the sail speakers into full range speakers (rear output from new amp) with new wires? The front output would be hooked up to door speakers.
It could work with a 10" or 12" sub. But it's still more difficult to get 4 speakers sounding good than it is to get 2 speakers sounding good, and I personally don't see the necessity of the rear speakers unless you've got people in the rear seat often-ish.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the coaxials in my sail panel powered off the headunit. That way I can just turn them on/off. I also saved $ by buying a 2 channel amp to run the front components as opposed to buying a 4 channel amp to run the front components and the coaxials.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

I'd rather have the flexibility of a 4 channel. If I didn't need 4 channels, I'd bridge it into 2 channels and have flexibility for later modifications. They don't need to be large, either. Check out the PPI Phantom P900.4 (and P900.5), the Arc Audio XDI series, Rockford's Boosted Rail amps PBR* (careful - these ones run very hot), etc.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your not looking for super loud and just want SQ then its going to be better without rear's any way.

I wouldn't go with c5's for the money...Look into the Hertz Energy ESK 165, i wouldn't do front coaxials with no rears tho becasue you want the sound stage to be at ear level which having rear fill helps with

I also don't like the JL Slash amps by today's standards, they're old , the HD's are better and the XD's are almost as good, but I'd prolly go with the new Alpine PDX 5ch, the model # isnt released yet, to power the whole system, and run your front speakers active which upps SQ tremendously.

to run active I'd go with this head unit that comes out next month, it has auto time alignment and EQ plus electronic crossovers built in to run active, I already ordered one for that 66 Chevelle, and have JL C3's in that car with no rears...http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/DEH-80PRS

and a 10w3v3-2 is a GREAT choice for what you described as your needs/wants

Quick Reply: Do I even need rear speakers?