Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Automatic radio shutoff.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic radio shutoff.....

Maybe someone has run into this before... You know how the radio doesnt switch off until you open the door? Well on my sister's 94 Camaro every once in a while the radio wont shut off when you open the door. So she trys to open and shut the door again and nothing... I believe I cured it once by turning on the ignition and shutting it off again. What controls this? is there some sort of pin switch I have to replace or is it triggered by a dome light or something????
Old 03-19-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe it is controlled by the door switch/dome light. When she opened the door and the stereo did not turn off, did the dome light come on?
Next idea is probably the ignition switch was in the ACC position (not necessarily having the key in it, bad contacts?)
Old 03-21-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know about older cars. But newer use RAP (Retained Accessory Power). When cars is turned off everything runs for 15 minutes, unless of course a door is opened. There is only on door switch per door, each run on seperate channels. As Wildman said, did the dome light operate?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah dome light still works... I suggested the key thing to her and she yelled at me (what a bitch... and here I am a good brother trying to help) so I'll have to try it myself when I get a chance....
Old 07-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Any idea what wire it is that supplies power until the door is opened?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:14 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 94's use pinswitches still , do this : try the drivers door first to see if radio shuts off , then try passenger door . if one doesn't shut radio off but the other does , then it is a pinswitch prob. the pinswitch wires can be accessed by removing the kick panels , d.side will have a white wire and a tan wire , pass will have just the white. the wires will trigger the dome light /radio cutoff by grounding them . try a jumper to ground and see if that solves it.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

I need to open my passenger door in order to shut it off!
Old 07-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those pinswitches are less the 10.00 from GM and will take all of 10 minutes to replace , go buy one. it's the gold pushbutton looking thingy in the front of the doorjamb.