Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinion on Amp/Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion on Amp/Speakers

Guys I have been pondering what to do in the sound area, after I bought the car I purchased a kdc-x994 from kenwood. Im now ready to replace the speakers but Im unsure what to do.

1st: should I run the new speakers off the factory amp or of the HU ??? I know this depends on the speakers I use in the setup, I was thinking about a keeaudio standard camaro kit, but I was at fry's and saw that they had some infinity kappa that are 2ohm.

I just want to get the best bang for the buck but still keep my system simple, I do want to add a subwoofer down the line(I'm replacing my carpet and adding sound deadening product, so I 'll be running the necessary cables).

what should I do ???
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave all that extra stuff out and save the weight.

Keez bazooka 6.5" dvc subs for the back sail panel sound amazing. Some nice component 6.5" front pioneer or Alpine speakers would help out also. You can run high power inputs to an amp from the HU, But Why keep that head unit. The signal it is putting out is not nearly as clean as one you can achieve with an aftermarket HU.

6LE sells double din bezels for the radio. A nice 6.5+" touchscreen shouldnt run you more than $500. This would add MP3 ability plus the sound will be mountains above what your used to. Plus You can run RCA cables to the amp from these head units without HI/LO adapters as would be needed if your amp doesn't have that feature built in.

Or just run new speakers off these units and save the amp for a sub or two in the trunk. I would run better wires to the speakers locations if you went either route.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Teching In

hes already got an aftermarket hu.

you didnt say if you had the monsoon or not, but with you bringing up factory amp im guessing you do.
if you go with kee i would go with the upgraded standard package. it would be the best bang for buck. the standard package would save a few bucks, but the upgraded standard would sound better with the monsoon.
the infinity wouldnt sound bad, but would probably come out more expensive and it sounds like price is something you want to keep as low as possible
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Sorry my car does have monsoon, previous owner had all speakers running from hu using electrical wires as speakers wires , which led me to think that the monsoon amp wasnt working i hooked up the speakers to it and it works just fine, i cant tell about sound quality because previous owner replace stock speakers with some cheep offbrand stuff. I want to keep everything as simple as possible which is why if possible want to use the stock amp.

Ive been reading the stickies and it seems like you have to do some mods on the door speakers (4 cables). Also the sound coming to pilar speakers are all low frequencies and hatch speakers are all highs.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hatch speakers are full-range, they just aren't capable of going very low.

Mid-bass subs in a camaro are SVC, not DVC. Don't get the Bazookas with the stock amp.

Just get component speakers for the doors, they will sound better and require all 4 wires, no mods required. You just have to get some "convertible" or coaxially mounted tweeters for the Camaro. Two-way speakers will also work but generally they won't sound as good and you'd be giving up some of your power from the Monsoon.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

like caprico said, the hatch isnt just highs. a 4" isnt going to give off much for lower mids. the only real mod you would have to do is if you wanted to mod the hatch area to fit a 5.25/6.5" you could, but its not a mod you have to do.
next to the rear seats do only get lows though, because they are small subs. you do have options though. you can go with the kee audio package that has the subs. since you want to run a sub you can also run those off the headunit instead of the monsoon. you would lose a little power to them, but they would get full range.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Capricio
Mid-bass subs in a camaro are SVC, not DVC. Don't get the Bazookas with the stock amp.
Actually, the Bazookas are a good choice for Camaros. The system expects SVC 2-ohm subs so wiring the two voice coils on the Bazookas in parallel gives it exactly that.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help what i did to get voice on the speakers next to the rear seats is to use the wires from the rear hatch, since im going to run a sub, i was thinking lof just running the two door speakers an the rear seat at full range (using the wires from the rear hatch).

This wat all speakers are on the monsoon amp and i can just get a mini amp for a small 10 inch to get the base ???

Are there connectors for the front speakers or do i have to splice into the wires??

Now the front speakers two wires go to the amp and other two to the hu.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Amp/Speakers