Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Speaker Install

Looking for some help putting in the middle speakers (The two that are on each side of the back seats), is there an adapter that I can order or what do I do? There are two connections for the stock speakers and only one for the Infinity speakers. This may not be clear enough to understand so let me know if you have questions. Let me know if you've got solutions.
I have tried to look at the sticky for this but it doesn't work
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

The middle speakers in the sail panels, are 6.5inch subs. I assume that you have a formula, so iirc, they are dual voice coil 2 ohm speakers. (Anyone with a pontiac, feel free to correct me). What ever speaker you install there is going to produce bass only. I would search for a 2ohm 6.5 inch sub and install it there.

The rear hatch is a 4 ohm, 4 inch speaker and any aftermarket speaker will do.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Teching In

i just put infinity in my T/A this week, i cut the plug off, combined the 2 (-) and 2 (+) and soldered it on the infitinty one.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by lipsasaurus
i just put infinity in my T/A this week, i cut the plug off, combined the 2 (-) and 2 (+) and soldered it on the infitinty one.
Well that was dumb - be sure not to turn it up much or you'll fry the amp. What you've done is bridge two channels on an amp that doesn't support bridging. You should have just connected one pair and left the other disconnected.

And even then, if they're full range speakers they will sound bad because they only get low frequency signal. And if they're the 2-ohm Infinity speakers then you're over-driving the amp which is only 4-ohm stable on those channels.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
The middle speakers in the sail panels, are 6.5inch subs. I assume that you have a formula, so iirc, they are dual voice coil 2 ohm speakers. (Anyone with a pontiac, feel free to correct me). What ever speaker you install there is going to produce bass only. I would search for a 2ohm 6.5 inch sub and install it there.

The rear hatch is a 4 ohm, 4 inch speaker and any aftermarket speaker will do.

Hope this helps.
The Firebird sail panel subs are DVC 4-ohm + 4-ohm running off separate channels of the Monsoon amp. The hatch has components - 4" mid and .75" tweeter.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Firebird sail panel subs are DVC 4-ohm + 4-ohm running off separate channels of the Monsoon amp. The hatch has components - 4" mid and .75" tweeter.
Ok, that is the difference between the Camaro and the Firebird 6.5" subs at the sail panels. Just wanted to make sure.

WhiteBird00, a local friend of mine with a Firebird needs speakers and wanted to get the same subs I have (Kicker 6.5" 2 ohm SVC) but I wasn't sure if he should/could run them with his stock setup(he wants to just replace speakers). Is that going to be ok? I'm not sure so I didn't want to tell him it would be and then it not work. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lipsasaurus
I tried that before installing my 6.75" infinity's in the door and I got a lot of distortion. I elected to only run the channel from the amp. It had was a full range with highs, so I taped off the other wires and didn't use them. Worked out fine for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Not sure if you guys know this but if you have an aftermarket head unit it isn't going to send the right sound to the center speakers anyways given how the adapter wires are hooked up when you wire them to the factory wires. Now don't jump down my throat but if you want more options for the center speakers in the car you can just run the wires that go to the rear speakers to the center speakers and they instantly become speakers and not subs! You can even still run rear speakers in parallel with the center ones and it'll all work fine. If you still want a lot of base then go with a sub it'll sound great and give you some more adjust ability.

It's just an idea, maybe it'll make things easier for you
Jessica
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Not sure if you guys know this but if you have an aftermarket head unit it isn't going to send the right sound to the center speakers anyways given how the adapter wires are hooked up when you wire them to the factory wires. Now don't jump down my throat but if you want more options for the center speakers in the car you can just run the wires that go to the rear speakers to the center speakers and they instantly become speakers and not subs! You can even still run rear speakers in parallel with the center ones and it'll all work fine. If you still want a lot of base then go with a sub it'll sound great and give you some more adjust ability.

It's just an idea, maybe it'll make things easier for you
Jessica
Jessica, I think you have the right idea but you didn't explain it clearly. You can install an aftermarket head unit in a Monsoon system and everything (including the sail panel subs) will work fine. The Monsoon amp is what takes care of the signal filtering to provide only low frequency signal to the sail panels.

Now, if you want to install full-range speakers (like coaxials) instead of subs in the sail panels then you will have a problem with sound because they still only get low frequency signal that they aren't designed to handle. A workaround is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull their wiring forward to the sail panels to get full-range signal to your speakers. It will work but you will be giving up significant bass response due to eliminating the subs. Also, most people will tell you that having large full-range speakers behind you is not good for overall sound.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Jessica, I think you have the right idea but you didn't explain it clearly. You can install an aftermarket head unit in a Monsoon system and everything (including the sail panel subs) will work fine. The Monsoon amp is what takes care of the signal filtering to provide only low frequency signal to the sail panels.

Now, if you want to install full-range speakers (like coaxials) instead of subs in the sail panels then you will have a problem with sound because they still only get low frequency signal that they aren't designed to handle. A workaround is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull their wiring forward to the sail panels to get full-range signal to your speakers. It will work but you will be giving up significant bass response due to eliminating the subs. Also, most people will tell you that having large full-range speakers behind you is not good for overall sound.
Yup thats what I meant
I had read a lot about the monsoon and the center subs and everything before I played with my stereo. In the end I just used the factory wires but changed what they were going to and like I said with a sub and amp in the back having the full range speakers sound alright. I put 4x10s in the very back to get more low end with just the speakers (Not sure it makes much difference). It was a lot cheaper in my situation to use easy to find speakers and not a sub in the sail panels. That is what drove me to do it that way.
Jess
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I did my stereo install I just ran new wires from the amp I installed for everything that wasn't a sub. I replaced the rear seat sail panel speakers with Infinity coaxials. The front doors were replaced with Infinity components. I replaced the factory tweeters with the Infinity ones. Though it is time to replace them. The newest amp fried my tweeters. Finding 125w rms speakers isn't the easiest.

Quick Reply: Infinity Speaker Install