Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Big 3 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big 3 Upgrade

Looking to build the wires for the big 3 upgrade myself, but I have a couple questions first. Where can I get the 0/1 gauge wire without it costing me a fortune? Does anyone have any pictures of the end of the cables where they attach to the battery so I can see how they are soldered. And what cable ends do I use? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lternator.html
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure how much you think a "fortune" is, but KnuKonceptz has 1/0 gauge wiring for $3.95/ft.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...0Fleks%20Kable

Or, if you don't need pure copper, $1.95/ft.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...ry=KCA%20Kable
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
I'm not sure how much you think a "fortune" is, but KnuKonceptz has 1/0 gauge wiring for $3.95/ft.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...0Fleks%20Kable

Or, if you don't need pure copper, $1.95/ft.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...ry=KCA%20Kable
Thats the wire I used, the 3.95/ft stuff, plus I have an optima redtop, so I bought there top post pair for like 40 bucks so I didn't have to add a bunch to the side posts I spent about 80 bucks with shipping between the battery post pair and 2 packs (4 connectors total) of ring terminals, and the like 6 or 7 feet of cable I needed since my V6 has the alternator right on top there.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I bought a battery cable set from Innovative Wiring Concepts last year ($85) and I was very happy with the quality.

My personal opinion is that I could've maybe done it for a bit less money myself, but my time is worth something, and working with that thickness of cable is VERY difficult. Even just installing it in the car. I was glad they had a ready made product that worked great.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
I bought a battery cable set from Innovative Wiring Concepts last year ($85) and I was very happy with the quality.

My personal opinion is that I could've maybe done it for a bit less money myself, but my time is worth something, and working with that thickness of cable is VERY difficult. Even just installing it in the car. I was glad they had a ready made product that worked great.
Yeah I saw your pictures you had posted. The cables look great. Its more like what I am looking to do is replace the cables. It seems like alot of the guys on here that do it themselves just run an additional cable along with the stock cable which is just more clutter in my opinion. Do you have any pictures of the cables installed? Id really appreciate seeing them if you did and dont mind. How well did everything work? Do you know what his gaurantee on the product is?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by youcancallme29
Yeah I saw your pictures you had posted. The cables look great. Its more like what I am looking to do is replace the cables. It seems like alot of the guys on here that do it themselves just run an additional cable along with the stock cable which is just more clutter in my opinion. Do you have any pictures of the cables installed? Id really appreciate seeing them if you did and dont mind. How well did everything work? Do you know what his gaurantee on the product is?
I can go take a few pictures tomorrow.

In short, they fit very well with the caveat that heavy gauge wire doesn't like to bend or twist easily. So the lug connectors are a bit challenging to connect to the starter and alternator posts, for instance. It requires being a bit creative with where and how you bend the cables.

I don't know what the guarantee was or is. I've had them for I guess nearly a year now (although I don't daily drive the car) and they still look like new. I'm really not worried about them, they're very substantial.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

When I MADE my cables I replaced the battery negative to chassis ground and the alternator to positive battery, but I doubled up the battery negative to engine block and the battery positive to fuse block simply because there was no reason to remove them.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks theheadfl I appreciate your help. In going to wait to see your pictures before I order them.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.camarozone.com/big-three-upgrade/
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that link, I dont understand how the end for the battery gets soldered with an eyelet connector with three 0 gauge wires going into it
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Didn't get a chance to get under the car to photograph the ground wire and starter wire, but here is the wires connected to my battery and alternator.

(Please excuse the smaller red wires, those are related to my battery maintainer and electric water pump)
Attached Thumbnails Big 3 Upgrade-theheadfl_big3_001.jpg   Big 3 Upgrade-theheadfl_big3_002.jpg   Big 3 Upgrade-theheadfl_big3_003.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Didn't get a chance to get under the car to photograph the ground wire and starter wire, but here is the wires connected to my battery and alternator.

(Please excuse the smaller red wires, those are related to my battery maintainer and electric water pump)
Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate it. So the wiring kit replaces the factory wires not just adds to them right? Just trying to make sure I know what I am getting. Does it go to the fuse block to?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate it. So the wiring kit replaces the factory wires not just adds to them right? Just trying to make sure I know what I am getting. Does it go to the fuse block to?
It replaces the entire factory battery harness, yeah.

It does not go to the fuse block.

Off the top of my head it goes:

Battery Negative to:
- Chassis ground
- Engine block

Battery Positive to:
- Positive distribution block
- Starter
- Alternator
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Teching In

It replaces the entire factory battery harness, yeah.

It does not go to the fuse block.

Off the top of my head it goes:

Battery Negative to:
- Chassis ground
- Engine block

Battery Positive to:
- Positive distribution block
- Starter
- Alternator
Thanks again. I ordered my kit on friday hopefully it will be here this week.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Looking to build the wires for the big 3 upgrade myself, but I have a couple questions first. Where can I get the 0/1 gauge wire without it costing me a fortune? Does anyone have any pictures of the end of the cables where they attach to the battery so I can see how they are soldered. And what cable ends do I use? Thanks.
I got about 10 ft. of leftover 1/0 kicker with some terminal ends I'll see you. I suppose I could ship it for 60 bucks. Shoot me a pm.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I got about 10 ft. of leftover 1/0 kicker with some terminal ends I'll see you. I suppose I could ship it for 60 bucks. Shoot me a pm.
Thanks, but I just bought the wiring kit, just much more cost effective in my opinion plus it replaces the entire factory harness so I think ill be much happier that way. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Big 3 Upgrade