Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo questions.

I am going to be installing a pione 4400bh into my camaro and had some questions about installation parts and preferences. First I am going to start with the steering wheel controls Should I go with the PAC swi-x or axxess awsc? Second is what are you guys using to mount double din headunits to the factory locations? Trying to find L brackets but I have no Idea where to look. Third is how are you guys covering the gaps in a stock radio bezel (currently done have the money to send mine out to DDmods to get mine done right now, just want something pleasing to the eye until I can send it.) Any help is appreciated gentlmen. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This is how I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my formula:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hlight=avic-d3
(Its a double-din NAV.)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
This is how I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my formula:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hlight=avic-d3
(Its a double-din NAV.)
Thanks for the help and the link VIP. How do you like your steering wheel control module?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

I guess my real question is what steering wheel control module to use? I have seen some people say use the PAC SWI-X then I have seen some say use the PAC SWI-PS or the PAC SWI-RC. There is also the Axxess model that some have used on here. Maybe someone as smart as whitebird can answer my question? lol
Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Any of those adapters will work but there are differences between them.

The least desirable (but most universal) is the SWI-X which is basically a universal infrared remote and will work on any head unit (except some old Sony models) that comes with an infrared remote. Installing it involves putting an infrared emitter within line of sight of the front of head unit and it is affected by bright sunlight or anything that blocks the emitter... like your elbow if you mount it in the console.

The SWI-PS is an older model of the SWI-RC. The SWI-PS was designed to work with most Pioneer and Sony head units that have a remote control jack on the back. The SWI-RC is an updated version that combines the old SWI-PS and SWI-JACK (JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood) and also adds some features for newer cars with bluetooth steering wheel buttons. For 4th generation f-bodies they will both work the same so find the cheapest price.

The Axxess ASWC adapter is by far the easiest to program. It works much the same as the PAC models but it programs itself automatically. You just install it, turn on the car and hold one of the steering wheel buttons for several seconds until the device recognizes it. The disadvantage is that it is more difficult to custom program if you want to use the steering wheel buttons for different things.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

WhiteBird00 covered it. He knows more about those modules than I do.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

The least desirable (but most universal) is the SWI-X which is basically a universal infrared remote and will work on any head unit (except some old Sony models) that comes with an infrared remote. Installing it involves putting an infrared emitter within line of sight of the front of head unit and it is affected by bright sunlight or anything that blocks the emitter... like your elbow if you mount it in the console.

The SWI-PS is an older model of the SWI-RC. The SWI-PS was designed to work with most Pioneer and Sony head units that have a remote control jack on the back. The SWI-RC is an updated version that combines the old SWI-PS and SWI-JACK (JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood) and also adds some features for newer cars with bluetooth steering wheel buttons. For 4th generation f-bodies they will both work the same so find the cheapest price.

The Axxess ASWC adapter is by far the easiest to program. It works much the same as the PAC models but it programs itself automatically. You just install it, turn on the car and hold one of the steering wheel buttons for several seconds until the device recognizes it. The disadvantage is that it is more difficult to custom program if you want to use the steering wheel buttons for different things.
Good info White! I have the SWI-ps in mine with a Sony GT740ui. Always wondered why sometimes if I don't attach the faceplate right away (since I often detach it-depending where I park) my steering wheel contols don't activate. If I shut the car off and start it and use the steering wheel controls right away it works immediately. I wonder if it's a problem stemming from detaching the faceplate? I wish I would have went double din though like OP...next project is going to be one with a automated/powered screen that comes out and flips up.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Thanks whitebird! You are a genius how did you get so smart? Looks like I will be ordering the SWI-PS cheapest price!

Quick Reply: Stereo questions.