Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Very weak speakers what did i do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very weak speakers what did i do?

DEH P4200ub came in the car. I just decided to throw some infinity 6.5s up front that i was gonna use in my other camaro. I ran them for maybe 5 minutes in my other car to hear them. They were loud and crisp. now ive install them into my 95 z28 and the volume is turned way up and they are sooo quiet! the rears and everything are normal volume so i move the front/rear just to front. it goes from listening volume to the smallest whisper ever.

its annoying and i dont quite know what i could have done wrong? i ran speaker wire direct from head unit to the doors. im lost and really confused. what could do this? hook back up the pos bose speakers and they work fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
its annoying and i dont quite know what i could have done wrong? i ran speaker wire direct from head unit to the doors. im lost and really confused. what could do this? hook back up the pos bose speakers and they work fine.
Something you're saying isn't adding up. The aftermarket HU probably has some kind of attenuation box to knock down the line level signal to get re-amplified by the individual channel Bose amps. The factory Bose speakers are like 1 Ohm and rely on an amp that is probably near where it's mounted.

Find the attenuation box and make sure that when you say you wired the speakers "directly to the HU", that you are truly bypassing that box out of the circuit. It sounds like you took out the Bose amps or they can't cope with the increased impedance of your new speakers, and/or you left the aftermarket attenuation box in line.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my speaker wire runs directly from the back of the head unit to the speaker. nothing inbetween anywhere, at all. direct as it can get.

yes the bose speakers have amps attached to them. all that crap is removed. HU goes directly to my speaker.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm confused in reading this. Do you have 2 cars or one? Which car as the aftermarket headunit and which car has the aftermarket speakers?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have 2 cars. i tested them in one and now have put them into my daily driver. Both are 95 camaros. the car with the aftermarket head unit is both cars. my daily driver that im doing the work to has the deh p4200ub. speaker wire is wired direct to that head unit. im going to try speaker wire today although i dont know why that would be doing it.

ignore the other car it has nothing to do with anything.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait a minute now... you're using the stock wires or you have made your own home-wire from the HU to the speaker? I'm going to assume you're still using the OEM wiring based on your last statement, even though it kind of contradicts what you wrote in your first post.

You accept and realize that when the previous owner installed the Pioneer aftermarket HU into a Bose OEM system, he probably would have needed to install an attenuation box inline with the OEM speaker wires? You accept and realize that bypassing the OEM Bose amps for each speaker is not the only thing you need to do.

So, you have identified the aftermarket attenuation module and can visually verify that there are no wires going into it when you bypass it? You are 100% sure it is being bypassed, and realize it will be inline with the stock wires and not bypassing it will create EXACTLY the symptoms you are describing?

I almost wanna ask you for a picture of the attenuation module.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

omg. 16 gauge wire. from the HU to the speaker. DIRECT. how much more do i need to say other than direct?

FIRST POST
its annoying and i dont quite know what i could have done wrong? i ran speaker wire direct from head unit to the doors. im lost and really confused.

lol well im heading out to try other speaker wire right now ill post results
Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill go ahead and assume its my HU now. still doesnt work. amp inside the HU blown possibly? just works because the rest of the system is hooked to bose amp crap? im lost ill have to try a differnet stereo or something
Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

It sounds to me like you don't have any real understanding of how a Bose system works and therefore don't get why Capricio is asking those questions.

The Bose system uses a special head unit that produces low-level, high impedance signal that goes to unique speakers that each have built-in amps. If you replace the head unit with an aftermarket one but leave the original speakers then you must have the HU produce the same low-level signal or you must use an external adapter that steps down the HU output to a level the individual amps can handle. If you then replace the Bose speaker/amp assemblies with aftermarket speakers, you end up sending too little signal to the speakers to power them (hence, very low volume).

So, if you don't have an external adapter as you claim then you should be looking at the head unit to figure out why it's sending low-level signal. Perhaps it has a setting controlled by some menu option or perhaps you're using the low-level (RCA) output connections instead of the speaker connections. In any case, since you know the speakers work (from the other car), the only possibilities are in the HU or the wiring - and Capricio had legitimate questions.

You'll get a lot more help if you don't get your panties in a wad and just answer the questions of people who are trying to help you. Oh, and a system isn't crap just because you don't understand it - the Bose system was quite good for an OEM system in its time...almost 20 years ago.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hahaha my panties in a wad? jesus calm down. im totally fine. but i clearly stated what i had done.

Im gonna say something is wrong with my head unit. Im guessing it being hooked up to the bose system which is amplified caused it to blow the HU? Im very aware of how it works i just didnt think the HU would be blown. I understand the low signal.. thats what each amp is for.

now if you think that just hooking the HU directly to the bose wiring wouldnt blow the headunit then possibly there is a setting in the HU. but considering the head unit was unplugged and no power for quite awhile im assuming low level output is not the factory setting.

im aware he had legitimate questions. i got nothing against that. but i clearly stated what i had done is all. 1 piece of speaker wire directly into the door. nothing in between. hooked up to the white and white/black directly off the head unit.

im just thinking the signal was too much for the amps and it sent power back to the head unit and blew its internal amp. still sends out a tiny signal which is why its fine with the bose unit still.

if my typing was unclear im sorry about that but i clearly stated direct is all. sorry if i hurt someones feelings
Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

Sorry but electrically your theory doesn't make sense. An overloaded amp does not send feedback signal back to the source that could cause damage. An overloaded amp just shuts down (or burns out). And even if it did somehow damage the HU internal amp, you would get no output at all rather than reduced level output.

I assume you meant only the left door when you mentioned white and white/black and that you have the gray and gray/black connected to the right door speaker.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

correct. i dont know electrical thats why my theory probably dont work. that was my guess. i have no explanation to why my HU puts out such a low signal to my speakers then. im completely lost. and yes the right door is grey and grey black.

i mentioned white white/black cause that was the side i just tested new speaker wire with.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i cant find an option on the deck anywhere. stumped
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Have you hooked up a different set of speakers to the HU? If it does the same thing on a different pair of speakers then it must be the HU.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

true i guess i can try that. I did hook the speakers up in my friends formula and they worked in there. It has to be my head unit. ill see if i have another set of speakers layin around