Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 TA Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012 | 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Default 98 TA Speaker upgrade

I am in the midst of an overhaul of my 98 TA convertible. We have upgraded the power train, suspension, new paint, etc. It is a very nice street-strip LS7-powered TA convertible. I decided (while the rear panels and seats are still out) this is the time to upgrade the audio system. The car is extremely loud(true dual exhaust/headers, LS7, convertible = background sound. First, I need advice on what system suits my needs. I am looking for an upgrade in sound. But, I do not need a top of the line system since the car is not my daily driver. But, since it will likely be a show car by the time we are finished, I think the car needs a nice system. I have some questions. First, can I use the 98 head unit (NOT Monsoon) for a nice F body specific speaker system (like Kee Audio) Or, do I need to upgrade the head unit? Second, can I use an amp and trunk mounted subs/sub box with the stock 98 head unit? I have been looking at "Jonny's sub box" that mounts high in the trunk near the convertible top. The only reason I would consider keeping the stock unit is that some aftermarket units make the sub dash look a little chopped up. I think the double DINs look nice especially with the custum bezal. But, I am not familiar with the installation time and cost for this unit. At a minimum, I would like to upgrade the front and rear speakers. Please let me know if you think it is necessary to upgrade the head unit as well.
Old 09-18-2012 | 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

First, I think you'll find that your system is, in fact, a Monsoon system. I'm not sure about '98 but in later years the Monsoon was standard equipment in all T/A convertibles. You can confirm by checking for option code X10 (cassette head unit) or X20 (CD head unit) on your door sticker. It really doesn't matter for the head unit anyway because the only difference between a Monsoon and non-Monsoon head unit is the Monsoon label on the face.

The F-body specific speaker kits are specific because they match the Monsoon amp. If you have a Monsoon system, they are an excellent option. Otherwise, all you need are standard 6.5" speakers for the doors and shallow 6.5" speakers for the rear.

You can connect an amp and sub to the factory HU but you will need either a line out converter or an amp that accepts speaker-level input.

Double DIN installation is no more difficult than any aftermarket head unit other than you need a modified trim bezel. Personally, I think double DIN is the best looking of all aftermarket head units - in many cases it's hard to tell that it's not factory. For a single DIN installation you might want to consider HUMount for the mounting kit. That's the one that comes with illuminated lettering or logo above the head unit... gives it a real "show" look.

Upgrading from the factory HU is the single most important thing you can do to get better sound.
Old 09-20-2012 | 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the advice! I have always admired your set-up. Is Kee Audio still in business? I have left Ian a couple phone messages and a PM. I was planning to order from him. If not, are there any other sponsors that you would recommend for a good package deal? Thank you in advance!
Old 09-20-2012 | 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator
20 Year Member

Yes, Ian is still running Kee Audio but he also has a full-time job so the best way to reach him is via email (keeaudio at bellsouth.net) rather than PM or phone.

Another sponsor who is quite familiar with F-body audio is Dennis at Double D Mods. I don't know if he has speaker "packages" but he certainly has speakers and head units that will match up nicely with your car's configuration. He also sells double DIN bezels for both Camaro and Firebird.

Quick Reply: 98 TA Speaker upgrade