Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pioneer Head Unit

Guys, I am hoping to get a Kee Audio speaker package for Christmas and will obviously want to get an upgraded head unit over stock. I am interested in the Pioneer DEH-X6500BT. However I am not sure if it will work or not since the Formula has 6 speakers (2 subs). I'm very inexperienced with this stuff so as much input and knowledge as you can bestow upon me would be appreciated!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out the Monsoon FAQ in the Stickies.

Replacing the stock Monsoon Headunit with just about any aftermarket headunit is easy. You just need 5 things:
1. Wiring harness to adapt the aftermarket heaunit to the stock wiring
2. Antenna adapter to adapt GM mini antenna connector to full-size Motorola antenna connector.
3. Bracket to mount the aftermarket headunit
4. (optional -- only needed if you get a double-din) Modify the radio bezel and opening in the dash to fit a double-din headunit.
5. (optional) steering wheel control adapter. (get a headunit with a wired remote port on the back to make things easier)

All this is in the stickies. Including part numbers.

Often the wire adapters and mounting brackets are included in a kit with the radio when you buy from some online vendors. I don't know if Kee Audio does that though.

Of course, this is assuming that you keep the monsoon amp and stock wiring. If you change those, then you are in for more custom work.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-06-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: forgot steering wheel controls adapter
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I am planning on getting either the level 2 or 3 package from Kee Audio and the Pioneer head unit from Best Buy. Keeping the stock monsoon amp. Only reason for the upgrade is because it's hard to hear the radio with the exhaust and wind if the windows are down/t-tops off..and because the girl in the passenger seat finds the blown driver sail panel speaker to be annoying as hell lol
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even though I have a gift card for Best Buy I think I may get the HU from Crutchfield if it will work since they provide the install adapters for free I think, other than the steering wheel controls. I don't feel like spending the extra $50+ on the steering wheel radio adpater so is it as simple as leaving the wires unconnected after the new HU is installed?

I just emailed Ian to see if the HU I was looking at will work with his stereo packages. I'm leaning towards the Level 3 now.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You don't have to wire-up the steering wheel controls if you don't want too.

If you want to use the steering wheel controls, I'd recommend making sure the headunit you choose has a wired remote input port in the back. That way you can use a wired steering wheel control adapter instead of an universal IR version.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if I can post this or not, if not I'll copy/paste the table later, but according to the details Crutchfield has here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pjR8BzY...ml#details-tab It doesn't look like it has a wired remote input in the back at least from what I am seeing...
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The line you need to look at is labeled "Steering Wheel Control Compatible" where it says "Adapter Required". That adapter is one of the SWI-PS, ASWC or any of the similar adapters. So yes, it has the remote input and is compatible.

You should give Ian a chance to quote on the head unit as well. His prices are very competitive and he usually includes the wiring and mount kits.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Yup +1 to what WhiteBird00 said.

If you scroll down that page to where it explains the "Steering wheel Remote Compatibility", it says that the headunit has a remote control input in the rear.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.

I'll give Ian a chance to respond to my email before I get it from Crutchfield. As far as I know I'll need the dash kit, the antenna adapter, wiring harness, which should all be included I hope, I know the steering wheel control adapter won't be included but thats fine, I can always get it later.

I think I've settled on the DEH-X6500BT with Ian's Level 2 package unless he tells me something that really changes my mind. Besides the RMS of the Level 3 being 70 watts higher I don't really see much difference in the two.

On a side note, short story: I went into Best Buy yesterday to look at the HU and I ask if there is someone that can answer a question about it for me. Guy brings me over to another employee. I tell him I have a question about a HU and he says, I'll let Matt handle this because he is much more knowledgable (at this point I'm thinking great...he's going to try to impress me with his knowledge and treat me like I know nothing). So he asks he can do for me and I tell him I just need to know what comes with one of the HU's. As we're walking over I tell him I know it needs the necessary accessories and list them out, just need to figure out if any of them come with it. I tell him what HU it is and ask my question again he then he procedes to start firing off features, it's got bluetooth, it's got apple support and mixtrax, it has blah blah blah. Then he tells me to follow him to the computer where he procedes to tell me how much everything will all cost including install and the $20 extra fee for running a bluetooth mic through the a-pillar. Came out to like $275 for a $130 HU
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can call me as well and we can provide a complete speaker upgrade package and the Pioneer radio.

We are there M-F 8-5 to answer the phones
608 568 3011
So no need to wait for a return email when you can speak to us live.
We had 12 more Gen 4 speaker replacement packages ordered yesterday
Dennis
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks Dennis.

What I'm looking at right now is a full speaker replacement which my parents will buy for me for Christmas and the head unit and necessary accesories like the antenna adapter, wiring harness and dash kit adapter will be bought from my girlfriend (until we can wrap it all into one deal). I'm set on the pioneer head unit, speakers I can be a little more flexible, but I don't want to break the bank since it's my parents money. $350-$450 would have to be the max for the package including the front doors, sails, and hatch. I'm at work during your business hours except for Fridays. If you have any spare time in the meantime and can shoot me a PM or email (TenaciousRock27@gmail.com) with options for me that would be excellent also.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Side note:

I'm not sure exactly how to shop for sail panels if I end up piecing a package together myself. Some people say to use speakers some say use subs...

Using all Apline components from Sonic I made this which fits into the budget nicely but I'm not sure if the parts are all compatible and will fit and work as I want.

Front doors ($170): Alpine SPR-60C
6-1/2" 2-Way Type-R Series Component Car Speakers
Type-R 6.5" 2-way Component System • Peak: 330 watts • RMS: 110 watts • Impedance: 4 ohms • Hybrid layered-pulp woofer with rubber surround • External crossovers — 12 dB/octave (high -pass) and 6 dB/octave (low-pass) crossover points • Top-mount depth: 2-5/16"

Sails ($130): Alpine SPR-60
6-1/2" 2-Way Type-R Series Coaxial Car Speakers
Type-R 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers • Peak: 300W • RMS: 100W • Impedance: 4 Ohms • Hybrid Layered-Pulp Woofer with Rubber Surround • 1" Swiveling Silk Ring-Dome Tweeter • Sensitivity: 88 dB

Hatch ($47): Alpine SPS-410
4" 2-Way Type-S Series Coaxial Car Speakers
4" Type-S Series Car Speakers • Peak: 140 Watts • Butyl Rubber Surround • 3/4" Wide-Range Silk Dome Tweeter • Progressive Aramid Fiber Spider • HD Polymer Frame • 4 Ohm Impedance • 1" Silk-Dome Tweeter

Total $347...
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The Sail Panel Speakers (rear seating area) are Subs. You don't want Coaxial Speakers back there.

In the Firebird they are Dual Voice Coil (DVC) with a resulting 2 OHM load (I forget the exact load, but I think its 2 Ohm). The output from the stock Monsoon Amp only sends low notes (bass) to those speakers.

That is why the packages from Kee Audio and DoubleDMods have Subs for that location.

In the Camaro, those are subs back there too, but Single Voice Coil (SVC) instead of Dual Voice Coil (DVC). I forget if the Ohm rating is different. You can find that in the FAQ.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Launching!

I got my jvc headunit from dennis for 250 whole car kit included
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Hey thanks Dennis.

What I'm looking at right now is a full speaker replacement which my parents will buy for me for Christmas and the head unit and necessary accesories like the antenna adapter, wiring harness and dash kit adapter will be bought from my girlfriend (until we can wrap it all into one deal). I'm set on the pioneer head unit, speakers I can be a little more flexible, but I don't want to break the bank since it's my parents money. $350-$450 would have to be the max for the package including the front doors, sails, and hatch. I'm at work during your business hours except for Fridays. If you have any spare time in the meantime and can shoot me a PM or email (TenaciousRock27@gmail.com) with options for me that would be excellent also.

sorry
I just saw this
I will email you something today

Dennis
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed this unit in my 95 trans am and it works without a hitch. i don't have monsoon but i do have the upgraded 10 speaker bose system with tweeters and subs.

here's a few pics of it installed in my car showing the redish orange color option i chose to give it that pontiac look. I mounted the bluetooth mic on the top of the steering column.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
You can call me as well and we can provide a complete speaker upgrade package and the Pioneer radio.

We are there M-F 8-5 to answer the phones
608 568 3011
So no need to wait for a return email when you can speak to us live.
We had 12 more Gen 4 speaker replacement packages ordered yesterday
Dennis
Seen your website, you have lots of great products! Ill be giving you a call soon for my 99 T/A project
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Typically with the Bose system you need an adapter since it isn't designed to work with speaker-level outputs from the headunit like the Monsoon system.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Except that the Firebird never came with a Bose system. Prior to the Monsoon in 97, Firebirds had a 10-speaker premium audio system that was similar to the Monsoon except that only the sail panel subs were powered by the external amp. The Bose system was a 3- or 5-speaker configuration available only in the Chevy products (Camaro and Corvette).

Quick Reply: Pioneer Head Unit