Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp and rear speaker removal... will it still work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Amp and rear speaker removal... will it still work?

I plan on adding a roll cage to my Trans Am and from the looks of it I'm going to have to remove the rear speakers since the cage goes through the covers. Keep in mind I'm stereo retarded, sure I've color matched the wires and installed head units but thats as far as it goes. My question is if I remove the rear speakers and say remove the amp (weight... I know not much) will my stereo still work? Will it sound decent if it does? I'm not looking for a system that will shake the spoiler off or anything just something that sounds ok and will still make a decent amount of noise ( to fight my dumped 4" bullet). I don't care to change the head unit and speakers else where I'll just have to delete the rear ones. And I know this is retarded but what exactly does a amp do lol?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youll have a VERY weak and disappointing sound system if you bypass the monsoon amp and run off just the headunit. if anything, relocate the monsoon amp and simply remove the rear speakers as you planned.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What if I swap head units to something a little better?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

"Amp" is a nickname for amplifier. It's an electronic device that takes audio input from a source like the radio and amplifies it, making it louder. In the case of the Monsoon amp, it also splits the signal from the four channels provided by the head unit (radio) into eight channels to power the individual speakers. In addition, it filters the outgoing signal so that, for example, only low frequency signal (bass) goes to the subwoofer speakers in the sail panels next to the rear seat.

Removing the amp is not as simple as merely unplugging it because almost all of your audio signal (all except the high frequency - treble) goes through the amp. Removing it involves rewiring so that the speakers get signal directly from the head unit. This will cut your speaker power approximately in half. It also involves changing your speakers because you no longer have the signal filtering that the amp provides.

Quick Reply: Amp and rear speaker removal... will it still work?