Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Valid points - technically, I can't legally tint my door windows, but will be this before summer anyway. I agree, I think the matte finish protectors may help a lot. My wife has a 1st gen iPad, so I could do some trial tests with that to see how it glares and whatnot.

Nice thing is, I am already running a 5 channel amp, so really, the hardware I'd need would be the tablet and a few peripherals.
No tint at ALL? What the heck state do you live in? I can't even imagine a car with no tint. That would suck.

Already having a finished aftermarket stereo setup definitely makes the tablet install easier. I was in the same situation. All you'll need is the tablet and a good line driver, and you'll be good to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
No tint at ALL? What the heck state do you live in? I can't even imagine a car with no tint. That would suck.

Already having a finished aftermarket stereo setup definitely makes the tablet install easier. I was in the same situation. All you'll need is the tablet and a good line driver, and you'll be good to go.
MI - I think the law is anything behind the driver (rear window, rear doors, quarter windows) can be tinted pretty much to whatever you want, but for the front doors and windshield only a 5" strip is allowed.

I plan on installing 20% all around. 95% of the time I drive it the top is down, and about 99% of the time the windows are down, even if the top is up.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
MI - I think the law is anything behind the driver (rear window, rear doors, quarter windows) can be tinted pretty much to whatever you want, but for the front doors and windshield only a 5" strip is allowed.

I plan on installing 20% all around. 95% of the time I drive it the top is down, and about 99% of the time the windows are down, even if the top is up.
Wow, that sucks. I sure as hell hope I don't have to deal with a law like that anytime soon.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I've been messing with tasker lately and I'm loving it. One question though (i asked in my own thread but in case you didnt see it) how do you setup tasker to "Unlock" the tablet? I've been playing with it but i dont see how to accomplish this.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dementia
Hey I've been messing with tasker lately and I'm loving it. One question though (i asked in my own thread but in case you didnt see it) how do you setup tasker to "Unlock" the tablet? I've been playing with it but i dont see how to accomplish this.
Simple solution is on your Tab 2 go into the settings menu of android and select Security then under security choose Screen Lock and at the bottom choose NONE, this will completely disable the lockscreen on your tablet.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Simple solution is on your Tab 2 go into the settings menu of android and select Security then under security choose Screen Lock and at the bottom choose NONE, this will completely disable the lockscreen on your tablet.
just found the option in tasker actually which will keep the lock screen in place but automatically bypass it for me
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up!

Looks amazing!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

just found the option in tasker actually which will keep the lock screen in place but automatically bypass it for me
Seems like you have it figured out by now, but here are my tasker profiles just for future reference. The first 3 screenshots are the tablet, and the other 3 screenshots are from the phone.

Last edited by SDB_FTW; 01-31-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I was tinkering a bit more with my setup (on the tablet side of things) today and had a question. What format is your SD card formatted in? I was opting to setup Tasker to automate things upon recieving USB power but notice the radio doesnt like the formatting on my SD card as it wont read off of it.

I've got a 64GB SDXC class 10 card in my tablet so to get the tablet to recognize it i had to format it as FAT32 (if i remember correctly). I'm guessing the headunit is expecting NTFS or exFat but to the best of my knowlege, the tablet wont play nice with those formats.

If thats the case it looks like i'll be gearing towards my backup plan of using a cig charging adapter for the tablet and streaming through bluetooth (which has great quality as is, i was just hoping to have it be more of a unified solution).
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Hey I was tinkering a bit more with my setup (on the tablet side of things) today and had a question. What format is your SD card formatted in? I was opting to setup Tasker to automate things upon recieving USB power but notice the radio doesnt like the formatting on my SD card as it wont read off of it.

I've got a 64GB SDXC class 10 card in my tablet so to get the tablet to recognize it i had to format it as FAT32 (if i remember correctly). I'm guessing the headunit is expecting NTFS or exFat but to the best of my knowlege, the tablet wont play nice with those formats.

If thats the case it looks like i'll be gearing towards my backup plan of using a cig charging adapter for the tablet and streaming through bluetooth (which has great quality as is, i was just hoping to have it be more of a unified solution).

cig lighter for power and just use the audio out of your tablet to the aux in of your HU, why is your headunit even trying to access the tablets sd card?

fat32 is the format you most likely are but from what I've read on XDA the jellybean release now supports the default exfat format of the 64GB cards.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if you guys have ever seen this show, but this gives you a decent idea of what all is involved as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah pretty much my setup minus the volume control. That is rather cool
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I use Fat32 with no problems.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized you were talking about your radio reading the SD card, not the tablet. Refer to WhiteBird00's reply below. He explained it very well. I would add that some radios can handle all formats, but only certain "class" ratings. For example, some electronics can read SDXC class 2 cards, but not SDXC class 10 cards. Take a good look at your radio's user manual to see specifically what type(s) of card it can and can't read.

Last edited by SDB_FTW; 02-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I doubt it's the format because FAT32 has become an almost universal file system format - even Apple devices read it. I suspect your head unit can't handle the SDXC card electronics. There are three Secure Digital storage standards... the original SD card could hold up to 2GB, the SDHC (High Capacity) could hold between 2 and 32GB, and the SDXC (eXtended Capacity) holds from 32GB to a theoretical limit of 2TB.

Devices must have the necessary electronics to be able to read each successive version. Many devices have not yet added compatibility with SDXC so you may be limited to only 32GB on an SDHC card instead.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yea i had a sneaking suspicion it might be the class of the card (class 10) and not the format but kind of reasoned myself out of that by thinking that the tablet was the device reading off the class 10 card and would be passing it through to the radio. I could do the setup with the headphone jack for sound and the cig lighter for power but I'd rather stick with bluetooth, fewer cables. I was just hoping that since I'm wanting to power the tablet I might as well get sound through the cable as well (might be a cleaner signal than whats transmitted through bluetooth). I'll just go the bluetooth/cig lighter route for my install. Just need to find an adapter that will provide the tablet enough power. Turns out my cell phone charger isnt strong enough to power the tab for some reason.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Yea i had a sneaking suspicion it might be the class of the card (class 10) and not the format but kind of reasoned myself out of that by thinking that the tablet was the device reading off the class 10 card and would be passing it through to the radio. I could do the setup with the headphone jack for sound and the cig lighter for power but I'd rather stick with bluetooth, fewer cables. I was just hoping that since I'm wanting to power the tablet I might as well get sound through the cable as well (might be a cleaner signal than whats transmitted through bluetooth). I'll just go the bluetooth/cig lighter route for my install. Just need to find an adapter that will provide the tablet enough power. Turns out my cell phone charger isnt strong enough to power the tab for some reason.
THIS is the adapter I used. I like it because it's small, in stock at most local Radio Shack stores, and provides 2 usb ports BOTH at 2 amps. Your cell phone charger won't charge the tablet because the tablet need more current. Most tablets have a 2amp adapter, while cell phones usually only have a 1amp adapter. Since I have 2 usb ports at 2amps each, I wire one to the Tab2, and the other to my center console so that I can charge my phone or another tablet if I have a passenger.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

You sir are awesome. I greatly appreciate the help. Didnt mean to threadjack.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

You sir are awesome. I greatly appreciate the help. Didnt mean to threadjack.
Not threadjacking at all. That's is the whole point of a thread like this.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Wired is better for the sound then bluetooth for 3 reasons:
1. NOT all built-in bluetooth radios actually support the A2DP, so if you change your HU down the road you may get one that only does Handsfree profile and end up needing to use the cable method so just do it from the start.
2. NOT all audio effects (equalizers and stuff like that) work on bluetooth so the sound output might not be as good, not that it will necessarily be bad or anything.
3. Bluetooth is still not a perfect technology and does NOT ALWAYS pair up like it's supposed to (I have my phone bluetoothed to my HU and on average about 2 or 3 times a month when I start the car it doesn't pair).

so basically wired is better if for nothing else then simplicity.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Wired is better for the sound then bluetooth for 3 reasons:
1. NOT all built-in bluetooth radios actually support the A2DP, so if you change your HU down the road you may get one that only does Handsfree profile and end up needing to use the cable method so just do it from the start.
2. NOT all audio effects (equalizers and stuff like that) work on bluetooth so the sound output might not be as good, not that it will necessarily be bad or anything.
3. Bluetooth is still not a perfect technology and does NOT ALWAYS pair up like it's supposed to (I have my phone bluetoothed to my HU and on average about 2 or 3 times a month when I start the car it doesn't pair).

so basically wired is better if for nothing else then simplicity.
I agree 100%.

Quick Reply: Android 7" tablet install in a C6