Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing amp/HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OHHHHHHHHHHHH. For some reason, I was thinking it had adapters on both ends. Well damn, that makes things simpler.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Curious if you got this done, was wondering what the final result looked like once you got the tab in there, or if anyone know of another project that put a tab in their bezel? Thinking of doing the same to my 01 WS6.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Haven't even started on this. I wasn't home for most of Summer.

I have a new question. If I use the line driver/amplifier and the Metra adapter, can I twist/solder all the right side speaker positives together, solder to the right side of an RCA cable, and just ground the speakers to any ground? Then just do the left side the same way?

http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html#FBAQ_14
Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Haven't even started on this. I wasn't home for most of Summer.

I have a new question. If I use the line driver/amplifier and the Metra adapter, can I twist/solder all the right side speaker positives together, solder to the right side of an RCA cable, and just ground the speakers to any ground? Then just do the left side the same way?

http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html#FBAQ_14
Uhhh NO! Put down the electrical tape and step away from the vehicle.

First, combining all the output from one side will eliminate your ability to fade front to rear. Worse, it will also change the impedance seen by the output stage of your audio source, likely causing it to fry.

Second, the grounds are not electrical in the same sense as a 12V power circuit like your cigarette lighter. They are negative audio signal and cannot be grounded to the chassis. Again, you would likely fry your audio device.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Awesome, so then, it how would I go about connecting this

vvvv notice this link might have a typo...
FLEA-bay.com/itm/Pre-Amp-RCA-Input-Output-Line-Driver-Signal-Amplifier-/280637557198?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Interconnect_Ca bles&hash=item41574d49ce&vxp=mtr

to a metra adapter as someone in this thread previously said?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're going from a head unit with 4 amplified speaker level outputs to a tablet with two (basic stereo) pre-amp/RCA outputs. Each line driver takes in stereo and puts out stereo, but you have 4 speakers you want to get signal into.

Split the RCA left and right channels from the tablet so you duplicate them with an RCA Y-connector on each side. Buy two of the line driver devices, one for front and one for rear channels. Turn the gain on the front line driver higher than the rear, this will serve as an independently variable fader control, albeit not all that convenient.

Take the output wires from the line drivers and put them into the appropriate speaker channel leads on the Metra harness.

Honestly, I haven't done the math or measurements. I don't know how much gain it will take after the tablet to deliver a suitable level of volume into the Monsoon inputs, but I think this should work. You may or may not need bigger line drivers.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-27-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this whole tablet thing brings back bad memories, I tried this carputer thing 7 years ago I used an old laptop back then and well the interface programs where more hassle than it was worth, I made my life easier got an ipod and a normal stereo LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Capricio
You're going from a head unit with 4 amplified speaker level outputs to a tablet with two (basic stereo) pre-amp/RCA outputs. Each line driver takes in stereo and puts out stereo, but you have 4 speakers you want to get signal into.

Split the RCA left and right channels from the tablet so you duplicate them with an RCA Y-connector on each side. Buy two of the line driver devices, one for front and one for rear channels. Turn the gain on the front line driver higher than the rear, this will serve as an independently variable fader control, albeit not all that convenient.

Take the output wires from the line drivers and put them into the appropriate speaker channel leads on the Metra harness.

Honestly, I haven't done the math or measurements. I don't know how much gain it will take after the tablet to deliver a suitable level of volume into the Monsoon inputs, but I think this should work. You may or may not need bigger line drivers.

Yeah, idc about fading at all. I never use it.

If I go this route, what do I connect to the negative speaker wire?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The line drivers have RCAs in and out. You can use something like this on the output side:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/rfi2sw

...and just to be clear, we're talking about terminating these speaker leads into the Metra harness to take the signal into the Monsoon amp.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-28-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Ahhhh, makes much more sense now. Thanks for the input! I'm gonna pick up some of this hardware and use my cell-phone as a proof of concept before shelling out for a Nexus 7. Thanks for your help guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Quick Reply: Replacing amp/HU