Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Front speaker harness adapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front speaker harness adapter

I'm installing aftermarket speakers in the front of my Camaro and I don't want to have to cut the factory wiring harness connector in the door to hook them up. Does anybody make a adapter to put on the speaker to connect it to the factory wiring?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wicked 94TA
I'm installing aftermarket speakers in the front of my Camaro and I don't want to have to cut the factory wiring harness connector in the door to hook them up. Does anybody make a adapter to put on the speaker to connect it to the factory wiring?
cut it off of the factory speaker
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Avaric3
cut it off of the factory speaker
There isn't a harness on the factory speakers, the harness coming out of the door connects directly to the speaker.

Ok I went to the junkyard today and looked at some different cars. Some have 2 wires coming from the factory harness in the door and some have 4. Mine has 4 and the speakers I'm putting only have 2 spots for wires to connect to. So if I do cut the factory connector off how do I connect these 4 wires...

...to this speaker?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You don't. You should have researched the correct type of speaker before buying. Your car has the Monsoon system which has separate components (mid and tweeter) in the doors that are mounted inside each other (coaxially) so that they look like a common coaxial speaker. That's why there are four wires - two for the mid and two for the tweeter.

You can make a common coaxial speaker work by connecting just the mid wires and leaving the tweeter wires unconnected or you can modify the coaxial speakers to separate the built-in tweeter from the mid. Either way, you're not going to end up with a factory style connection.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

So the 4 wires means it was a Monsoon system? When I got the car somebody had already replaced the front speakers with aftermarket Infinity ones which I'm trying to replace because they are cutting out and acting up. The sail panel speakers are gone and it had a aftermarket head unit but the guy I got it from took it out and put the factory tape deck back in it. The speakers I have now I got from the local junk yard, all for 4 $20 so no biggie.

All this I'm doing stems from trying to figure out why my stealth box stopped working and everything I've trouble shot hasn't helped. I had an aftermarket DVD player, stealth box and aftermarket front speakers all working perfectly now its giving me all kinds of problems. I hate going into someone else's work trying to figure out a problem.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that's a sure giveaway. Easier ways to tell are having speakers in the hatch area (the non-Monsoon doesn't have them there) or checking the option label on the door for the code UZ7 (Camaro coupe only).

I can sympathize with having to troubleshoot somebody else's wiring - it is always a pain. You should check first that the Monsoon amp is even connected. It's quite possible that the previous owner rewired the speakers directly from the head unit. There are a lot of people who have the mistaken idea that the Monsoon system is difficult to upgrade so they just bypass it.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, that's a sure giveaway. Easier ways to tell are having speakers in the hatch area (the non-Monsoon doesn't have them there) or checking the option label on the door for the code UZ7 (Camaro coupe only).

I can sympathize with having to troubleshoot somebody else's wiring - it is always a pain. You should check first that the Monsoon amp is even connected. It's quite possible that the previous owner rewired the speakers directly from the head unit. There are a lot of people who have the mistaken idea that the Monsoon system is difficult to upgrade so they just bypass it.
Thanks for the replys, where in the car is the amp located?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The amp is mounted to a bracket under the right side hatch trim panel (in front of the spare tire). There is a photo of its location in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The amp is mounted to a bracket under the right side hatch trim panel (in front of the spare tire). There is a photo of its location in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Ok cool I'll have to look and see if its still there. I've been building a nitrous bottle bracket back there recently and don't recall seeing anything that looked like an amp though.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I found the RPO code UZ7 and I found the amp tonight. GM did one hell of a job hiding that thing! Well all the wiring looks intact and I would really like to go back to the Monsoon just get some upgraded speakers for it. Looks like I'm going to have a Kenwood DVD player and stealth box for sale soon! That setup sounds amazing but I'd really like to drop the weight off the car of the stealth box but not have a stereo that sounds like I'm listening to a transistor radio. I want to get another Monsoon factory cd player so I can have that clean factory look again, how do I tell the Monsoon head unit from the normal one?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I ended up get a set of Infinity 6032cf's for the doors. I went to the junkyard and found 2 factory Monsoon speakers for the sail panels for the time being. Finally I ended up getting a factory head unit off of craigslist to finish it all off. The door speakers sound pretty good actually.

Quick Reply: Front speaker harness adapter