Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double D mods speaker set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double D mods speaker set up

hey guys i bought the speaker package from double d mods for my 2000 camaro z28. im trying to figure out how to wire the stock terminal to the new 6.5 jl audio component set and where you are supposed to mount the tweeter in the door panel? here is a picture of what i have, the stock speaker is on the left with the jl audio and tweeter on the right. thanks for the help in advance. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Double D mods speaker set up-speaker.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the little pods from 6LE for my tweeters.

I cut the wires as close as I could to the original speaker so I could use the original plug that is there, so all you have to do it plug back into the door.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You mount the tweeter coaxially, in the center of the larger cone. The second picture here kind of shows it, but it's a little hard to see through grill:

http://www.jlaudio.com/tr650-cxi-car...-systems-91033

Are you using an aftermarket amp? Or the OEM Monsoon?

I'm not that familiar with these JL speakers. It looks like the crossovers are internal, but you can wire the tweeters into the hub on the woofer cone, or directly to an amplified source. In other words, you can run it like a two-way speaker or a component with your own HPF. Dennis, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're using the Monsoon amp, I'd just wire the tweeters directly to the same leads that used the factory little HPF module to make the most effective use of the available power.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Capricio it is the factory system, i looked at the pictures im not sure how the tweeter is supposed to mount to the center of the speaker?? and as far as i can see the tweeter has to be hooked to the leads off of the bottom of the speaker. Tim
Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I suggest you ask Dennis since he sells them as direct replacement. From what I can see, they will not mount in the factory location in Camaros (they would work in Firebirds). There are CDT and a couple of other brands that make component speakers that mount with the tweeter in the center like a coaxial speaker but these don't appear to do that.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fraser2000
Capricio it is the factory system, i looked at the pictures im not sure how the tweeter is supposed to mount to the center of the speaker?? and as far as i can see the tweeter has to be hooked to the leads off of the bottom of the speaker. Tim
Sorry man! I was looking at the wrong model!

"The tweeters can be flush-mounted or surface-mounted with the supplied fixtures."

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-evo...ponent-systems

You can't coaxially mount the tweeters. You're probably gonna have to get some pods like mentioned earlier, or just cut a hole in your kick panel plastic.

"An inline 12 dB / octave high-pass filter is pre-wired onto the tweeter connection harness, which connects to the woofer terminals, eliminating a bulky outboard crossover network and simplifying installation."

So, if you want a bit more power, use the leads that used to feed the old factory monsoon speaker tweeters directly into your new tweeter, and keep the old HPF (blister in the wire).

Or, settle for less power and just wire the tweeters up to the provided terminals on the woofer cone. Leave the old tweeter leads unconnected.

Either way will work, and your sensitivity is high enough, I don't think you'll miss the extra amp channels that much.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I bought the kit from double d mods so I wouldn't have to cut anything or really worry about much I wanted a plug and play replacement. I am in contact with Dennis so hopefully he can give me some more insight... So you don't think I would lose much power running the tweeter through the speaker and not connecting it to the tweeter lead on the factory plug?? There are no marks for positive or negative on the stock speaker so is it safe to say that the red wire is positive and the red wire with a black stripe is negative?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, red = positive, black = negative.

Four of the eight channels in the Monsoon amp in a camaro are sent to the doors, two for tweeters with an inline HPF, and two for the cones (full range signal). When you run your tweeters from the terminal on the cones, you give up the two amp channels that were driving the tweeters before. You would be only using the two full range channels to drive both the cones and the tweeters.

What I was saying earlier, is that the sensitivity of your new speakers is high enough that you probably won't notice giving up the power because they much more efficient. But if you still want to keep using all four front channels from the Monsoon amp, just continue to use the old tweeter leads with the old inline filter connected directly to your new tweeters.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Great thanks for the help...... Now just gotta figure out where the tweeters go

Quick Reply: Double D mods speaker set up