Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Made my own double din bezel and brackets for $7...beat that! (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

good job
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great work man. Fantastic job.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job i think ill tackle my own instead of buying 1 also
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Looks nice! Great job
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think a factory textured looking finish on the bezel would look better. Good job though
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

That turned out exceptionally bud. Kudos. You've inspired me to put my bezel idea using fiberglass on the back burner and try to mod the stock bezel with some cutting and some good ol JB. I liked how yours turned out so well that I started looking into it and realized JB Weld makes a plastic weld PUTTY which will make my project A LOT easier to fabricate, especially modding the stock bezel. I've started on the modding of the stock bezel and its looking great so far. I just need to fab up the inner edges of my bezel to mate up with my hvac controls and my upper block off plate (I've been working on a tablet install that incorporates a single din HU in conjunction with the tablet and i've sunken in the hvac controls vs relocating them elsewhere). I'll throw some pix up once i get a little further along with the build but just wanted to post up and say thanks for the idea/inspiration/innovation. Hopefully mine turns out half as good as yours.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome man! It's really nice to hear me inspiring others with my work. This and helping the F-body community better their cars is the reason I do these little write-ups.

I'd love to see pics of your work. I'm sure yours will come out great too. Mine wasn't very hard. Thanks for the complements though.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Wow, dude! That's awesome work for sure. So, here's the million dollar question; How much would you charge a fellow comrade if he sent ya his factory bezel and asked you to do the same for his?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work, and good write up!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I don't mind doing it, I wouldn't take on that task. I would only do it for a local guy and ONLY because I would feel comfortable mocking up a bezel with his headunit on my workbench so I can be sure I did it right. I guess that's why that Double D place is around for.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
As much as I don't mind doing it, I wouldn't take on that task. I would only do it for a local guy and ONLY because I would feel comfortable mocking up a bezel with his headunit on my workbench so I can be sure I did it right. I guess that's why that Double D place is around for.
Understandable.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Wow nice work man, looks great! Good write up too! I'm thinking about doing this now too!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great writeup. $7 is a heck of a deal, but guys are acting like Double D is charging an arm and a leg. For those who can do this, kudos, if you're not comfortable, we have Double D as an option.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM

This is sweet! Ill be using this in the near future!! Subbed.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That turned out really well. I'm planning on doing my Camaro bezel. I am very interested in how dementia's turns out as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Great writeup. $7 is a heck of a deal, but guys are acting like Double D is charging an arm and a leg. For those who can do this, kudos, if you're not comfortable, we have Double D as an option.
It's the avg 4-6 week time frame that makes me want to modify my own instead of going through DD. If you send in the bezel out of your car, then it is supposed to be 4 weeks after they receive it, or 6 weeks if you're just buying it. But depending on where you are, the 4 weeks ends up almost being 6 weeks once you factor in transit time for shipping.

That is what would motivate me to try and modify my own.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Skiliq
It's the avg 4-6 week time frame that makes me want to modify my own instead of going through DD. If you send in the bezel out of your car, then it is supposed to be 4 weeks after they receive it, or 6 weeks if you're just buying it. But depending on where you are, the 4 weeks ends up almost being 6 weeks once you factor in transit time for shipping.

That is what would motivate me to try and modify my own.
Good point. It doesn't make sense that an item that is in that much of a demand should be a 4-6 week wait. I'm sure they could hit up a few yunkyards and pick up a couple dozen on the cheap and fab them up. That long of a wait would turn me away as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pewterformula
That turned out really well. I'm planning on doing my Camaro bezel. I am very interested in how dementia's turns out as well.
didnt think anyone would be interested in seeing my pile

Unfortunately I've had just about no time to work on the car so my progress has been SLOW. I havent finished my bezel yet (still need to make a face plate). Mines a bit more involved than the OP's setup since I'm doing a tablet install. I've relocated my head unit to the bottom, sunken in my HVAC controls so i didnt have to relocate it to somewhere inconvenient. I was plagued with amp overheating issues on my multichannel so i bought some fans but they were hi flow fans (ergo loud as fu(k...) so i had bought a pc fan controller which i was going to position above my HVAC controls. For some reason the fan controller decided to die on me so the face plate that i spent so much time measuring and templating is going to have to be redone since I'm refusing to drop another $40 bux plus wait time for another controller. Instead I've just wired up the fans in series of 2 and have them powered through a relay. Now they turn on only when the radio is on and they run at half speed resulting in a very mild hum which becomes inaudible once the radio is turned up pas a vol of 10 (which is well below normal listening levels). I've masked my stock bezel (whats left of it) in some left over Di Noc CF wrap i had left over from another project so that its at least presentable for this cruise I'm going on tomorrow. Here are some pics of the setup so far. Please keep the criticism down to a minimum. Its been a work in progress and with all of the set backs i've had and the lack of time, its going to be a work in progress for longer than I'd like.

The tablet is held in place perfectly by the bezel. Surprizingly it was the PERFECT size for my tablet after removing the horizontal bars on the original bezel and after having used JB Weld putty to fill in the gaps from my cuts and to make the contoured portions you see at the upper corners, the tablet slides right in place and is held firmly in place. Once set in, there is no movement from the tablet from operating it with my fingers, no rattling of the tab from the Subs pounding, and no movement as a result of, lets say spirited driving. Removing the tablet is achieved by pushing on the lower right corner of the tab which pushes out the upper right corner for me to gently pull forward and up to reveal the charging cable to unplug. Less than elegant i know, BUT it affords me the ability to take my tablet in with me so that its not cooking in the heat or attracting thieves anymore than the car already does. Removing the tablet reveals the HVAC controls. Since i hardly EVER use my AC (prefer to have the windows down) and I never drive when its cold enough to desire the heater, the minor inconvenience of having the HVAC controls behind the tablet doesnt affect my driving style/habbits one bit. With my fan controller out of the picture I've been thinking of what to fill the area above the HVAC controls with. I love the idea of filling it with those red gaurded fighter pilot style switches (since if I'm at the track, i could remove the tablet since the radio wouldnt be used when I'm pushing the car performance wise) but since I dont plan on running nitrous, I'm not sure what purpose switches would serve for me. Another idea that i've been throwing around is to throw in 2 more small gauges (similar size to the ones in my AC vents) in there. It would be a tight fit but I think i could make it work with some more JB Weld putty work. The same idea would be implemented with this idea since the gauges would be more useful during performance based situations rather than music listening situations, the tablet would go bye bye and allow additional monitoring of the car's vitals while being pushed.

Aside from all of that, I still need to make brackets to secure my head unit down with and some to hold the HVAC controls in place. The HVAC controls are currently fitted into the stock basket area. Its held in tightly by this alone so the brackets for this should be really simple, might even just bolt them in on both sides to the holes that hold the stock radio/HVAC controls in place. I also need to fab the connecting piece between the bezel and the radio along with the face plate. You'll notice the gaps between the radio and the bezel. Those will be filled once all is said and done. Slowly but surely, it will get done.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by dementia; 08-03-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Made my own double din bezel and brackets for $7...beat that! (PICS)