Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Taillight/brakelight socket - Help a guy from europe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Taillight/brakelight socket - Help a guy from europe.

Hi guys.

First off, excuse my English I'm from the Netherlands.

I have this issue with my taillight/brake light on my '99 Z28. Not sure yet if I need to replace the rear wiring harness or just two sockets. Because I find it hard to pinpoint where the problem lies I'm going to just replace the cheapest parts first. I tried to take them apart but I failed miserably

I think the sockets on a euro edition Z28 differ from a domestic one. My car has the bayonet socket (that is what they call it here) you guys probably have a wedge style socket.

The few available parts shops in my country (the Netherlands) charges me close to up €100 for two sockets, because they need to import it and can't get it much cheaper. That is $127. My question is how much do the parts below cost in the USA and could someone please help me out with getting the parts to me in the Netherlands. If you are willing to help me out please let me know. I am willing to pay you something for the hassle of getting and sending the parts. If you don't want to send overseas then I will provide an adress to one or two companies that ships to the Netherlands

The parts needed are.
2X (3-wired) sockets for the taillight/brake light (left and right side of the vehicle)
These are not wedge type but bayonet type connections, two pictures attached below.

The only part number i have is PED|F.L.2.9.|4 which i found on the back of the socket. And a search at rockauto led me to this and/or this which look like the same parts but are wedged and not bayonet.

You can contact me at facebook, email or reply on this thread.

http://s564.photobucket.com/user/San...e3dd.jpeg.html

http://s564.photobucket.com/user/San...484f.jpeg.html
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Looks (from what I can see) like your lights are the old style sockets where the bulbs have a round metal base instead of the wedge style, I imagine you could convert to the wedge style, you would just need to get 3157 bulbs instead of the 2157 bulbs that you use now or you could get the sockets for like a 93-94 they should match your style socket that uses the 2157 bulb.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The bayonet style sockets you mention are easier to find by their bulb number. The dual filament brake/running light sockets take 1157 bulbs. The single filament amber turn signal sockets take 1156 bulbs.

Your best bet might be ebay. For example, a quick search of ebay turned up this listing: http://compare.ebay.com/like/110651284126?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar. A search of Amazon found this:
90° Pigtail & Socket Assembly 1154 & 1157 GM 12003759 : Amazon.com : Automotive 90° Pigtail & Socket Assembly 1154 & 1157 GM 12003759 : Amazon.com : Automotive
. If you check one of the Amazon sites in Europe (links listed at amazon.co.uk) or you find an ebay vendor willing to ship to Europe, you might be able to get your sockets pretty cheaply.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for helping me out, I figured a wedge style wouldn't be a problem. And thanks for the e-bay/amazon listings.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Just placed an order at amazon, order total is only $32.20. Saved some money on this one
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by NL_SLI_GT
Because I find it hard to pinpoint where the problem lies I'm going to just replace the cheapest parts first. I tried to take them apart but I failed miserably
With a wiring diagram, you can diagnose this at the rear harness connector, just inside the hatch and behind the carpet.

The only part number i have is PED|F.L.2.9.|4 which i found on the back of the socket. And a search at rockauto led me to this and/or this which look like the same parts but are wedged and not bayonet.
PED stands for Packard Electric Division, which is now a part of Delphi. If your bulb is a type 2057, the Delphi part number is 12160392. (This does not include the blue terminal lock on the end.)

The part itself should cost around $4 USD wholesale but its hard to find and companies that carry it will keep parking it up and up.

When you get your new sockets, you should be able to remove the terminal lock and the wires/terminals from the socket. If the wires and terminals are good on your old socket, you should be able to reverse the process and make a splice-free repair. (Since these parts are expensive, you may risk damaging them by experimenting with this process - so that may not be a good idea.)

If you do splice them, you'll want to be sure to use waterproof splices in this location. If you get the sockets from GM, they come with the splices, but some re-sellers do not provide them in the package.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

I was also going to suggest a wiring schematic and testing with a meter until I took another look at the last photo and realized he was going to need sockets anyway due to the serious corrosion.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Yea. Makes you wonder. If these sockets are that corroded, the new ones probably won't last long.

Are the lenses leaking? Are the sockets on the other side of the car in the same state?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
When you get your new sockets, you should be able to remove the terminal lock and the wires/terminals from the socket. If the wires and terminals are good on your old socket, you should be able to reverse the process and make a splice-free repair. (Since these parts are expensive, you may risk damaging them by experimenting with this process - so that may not be a good idea.)

If you do splice them, you'll want to be sure to use waterproof splices in this location. If you get the sockets from GM, they come with the splices, but some re-sellers do not provide them in the package.

Thank you for the info on those part numbers, you guys are all very helpfull. Unfortunately I was not able to remove the wires and terminals from the socket in decent way. I had a buddy at work (electrician) check it out, he also couldn't get it done. I had to cut the wires and was able to inspect the socket better. It was a very corroded which prevented a decent removal.

The new connectors will be testfitted first and then I'll make in inline splice like explained in this instructable.

Only the right hand unit is leaking, I tried to fix this a few months ago and also cleaned up the sockets but not very well it seems now. So I'll be checking for cracks, faulty seals and perhaps i can take the unit apart using the "whistler mod" method.

Does any of you know what a rear light wiring harness is going to cost, in case i can't pinpoint the source of this issue? All I can find are some second hand ones on eBay.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Save the manuals!

The new connectors will be testfitted first and then I'll make in inline splice like explained in this instructable.

No, you don't want to do that! Butt connections on cars, boats, airplanes, etc. (and any other thing that vibrates) need to be done with mechanical splices. Solder joints are brittle and crack. Cracking + Vibration = Sparks and Fire.

These are what you want to use. Heat shrink crimp but connectors:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...BC31gv%29&rt=d

After you perform the crimp, you can use a flame or heat gun to shrink the tubing and form a watertight seal.

Only the right hand unit is leaking, I tried to fix this a few months ago and also cleaned up the sockets but not very well it seems now. So I'll be checking for cracks, faulty seals and perhaps i can take the unit apart using the "whistler mod" method.
If you press on the lens with your finger, that will help expose any small cracks that might be in it.

Does any of you know what a rear light wiring harness is going to cost, in case i can't pinpoint the source of this issue? All I can find are some second hand ones on eBay.
You shouldn't need a new harness unless the corrosion spread to the wires. Its not a very complicated part. If you do need another one, you should be able to trust a used part in this case.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Those guys at 3m have some clever ideas, never heard of this product. I'll be using this. if you like I can update this thread when there's some news.

Quick Reply: Taillight/brakelight socket - Help a guy from europe.