Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Good sound deadener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, Second Skin is really good! I have double layers of their
Damplifier under the headliner of my hard top(doors and floor also) that's survived probably a good +5 yrs now of California summers, and it's hasn't budged an inch.
x2 Second Skin makes good stuff, I've used them in a few cars with no complaints.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what everyone has posted, it sounds like the top three (to pick from) are Roadkill, Raammat, and SecondSkin.

For the people who used SecondSkin, do you just use the "sound deadener" (the dynamat type stickon bytheral stuff) or do you also use the foam/MLV stuff as well?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use Second Skin close cell foam rubber(overkill 1/8", and overkill-Pro 3/8" thick) which I glue to their Damplifier with their spray adhesive. I used the Damplifier and Overkill-pro together inside my doors, behind sail panel speakers and on the rear qtr panels and trunk stump area in my Camaro. I didn't use any of the 1/8" thick Overkill.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I also use Second Skin close cell foam rubber(overkill 1/8", and overkill-Pro 3/8" thick) which I glue to their Damplifier with their spray adhesive. I used the Damplifier and Overkill-pro together inside my doors, behind sail panel speakers and on the rear qtr panels and trunk stump area in my Camaro. I didn't use any of the 1/8" thick Overkill.
I was always told that the closed cell foam does little-to-nothing to stop sound on its own. It's only purpose is to de-couple mass loaded vinyl (MLV) from the sheet metal. Is this not true? Did you do a bore/after with the closed cell foam or was it all done at the same time?

edit: I just looked at the Overkill. It looks like it's basically a rubber infused closed cell foam (so a quasi foam/MLV hybrid?) so it has mass added to it (rather than just regular foam).
Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I was always told that the closed cell foam does little-to-nothing to stop sound on its own. It's only purpose is to de-couple mass loaded vinyl (MLV) from the sheet metal. Is this not true? Did you do a bore/after with the closed cell foam or was it all done at the same time?

edit: I just looked at the Overkill. It looks like it's basically a rubber infused closed cell foam (so a quasi foam/MLV hybrid?) so it has mass added to it (rather than just regular foam).
I originally had put a 1 layer of damplifier in my doors, and inside the sail panels. After I installed a the 2nd layer of damplifier with O.K.pro glued to it I noticed a smoother sound from my speakers and a quieter interior. I'm sure if I had went with the Luxury Liner Pro I would have noticed even better results. I went and did the same thing to the doors in my sons chevy cavalier and noticed very clear difference(smoother speaker sound and nice reduction in outside/road noise coming through the doors.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

From wut I understand, ccf only deadens higher frequencies where mlv blocks lower frequencies down to ~150Hz. If your goal is to block as much noise as possible, then using cld, ccf and mlv is the best you can do.

And yes, ccf is mostly good for decoupling surfaces from rattling against each other from wut I've found
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Avaric3
From wut I understand, ccf only deadens higher frequencies where mlv blocks lower frequencies down to ~150Hz. If your goal is to block as much noise as possible, then using cld, ccf and mlv is the best you can do.

And yes, ccf is mostly good for decoupling surfaces from rattling against each other from wut I've found
Yes Ideally the Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro would have yielded me the best results, but at the time spending 51% more over the cost of the OKP for the LLP wasn't an option with my budget.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Ideally the Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro would have yielded me the best results, but at the time spending 51% more over the cost of the OKP for the LLP wasn't an option with my budget.
for those truly interested, check out sound deadener showdown . com, this guy don sambrook knows his crap. he sent me free samples no questions asked. truly a good explaining of how this stuff works.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JDEP162
for those truly interested, check out sound deadener showdown . com, this guy don sambrook knows his crap. he sent me free samples no questions asked. truly a good explaining of how this stuff works.
Nice, very informative site to! The more research I do about SDS the better their product sounds.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
From what everyone has posted, it sounds like the top three (to pick from) are Roadkill, Raammat, and SecondSkin.

For the people who used SecondSkin, do you just use the "sound deadener" (the dynamat type stickon bytheral stuff) or do you also use the foam/MLV stuff as well?
How do these products compare to Dynamat other than price?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Dynamat seems to be at least 50% more than anything else due to name (everyone knows of Dynamat...)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
How do these products compare to Dynamat other than price?
Ive used dynamat. Its a quality product, that is grossly overpriced. Then i discovered others of equal quality at half the price, like roadkill. Sds has great info and price is decent if u want the whole system.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

+ Second skin

Quick Reply: Good sound deadener?