Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

In the market for sub/amp, information needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the links I've been looking at for ideas. I was going to put it in the spare tire area, but I don't want to get rid of the tire, and the amp I'm looking at doesn't seem like it would fit real well.

Spare tire area:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ics-ideas.html

Amp rack (this is what I'm doing):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lkthrough.html

Another idea:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-write-up.html

And a few more:
http://www.banddirector.cz28.com/photo3.html
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write ups. I'm the same way, I don't want to get rid of my spare even though I never used it but just in case lol. The amp is seriously small as hell so I could for sure try to make room, prolly behind the stock monsoon amp, we'll see.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
The ring has an internal diameter of 9", will the sub fit through it and through the box hole?

That's what I'm saying lol, the craftsmanship of this amp is amazing. Can't wait to install. Now I hope the mounting ring comes by Saturday.
the cutout for the sub is 9 3/16" so you'll need to open up the inside of the ring a little bit to get it to fit.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the cutout for the sub is 9 3/16" so you'll need to open up the inside of the ring a little bit to get it to fit.
So just file it down some? There's another ring that's 9-1/8 as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

So just file it down some? There's another ring that's 9-1/8 as well.
you could file/sand/cut it bigger, the 9-1/8" would be easier to sand to the right size but you could also try finding a local stereo shop and see if they'll cut you one thats the right size to start so they can match both the inner and outer diameters of the sub.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

If push came to shove, can I use two spacers for clearance?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

If push came to shove, can I use two spacers for clearance?
possibly but I wouldn't suggest it. how much does it stick out?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
possibly but I wouldn't suggest it. how much does it stick out?
By holding it in place, looks like it sticks out the full 3/4 but seems like it's resting right on the edges inside. Does that defeat the purpose of air depth that's required?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Bummed that the spacer isn't black to match the box/sub. Thinking of painting it or ripping some carpet from back of the box to apply.
Just go ahead and paint it black - or even some other color just to accent it a little! Red, blue, silver, something like that.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Not a bad idea, blue would be nice to match the car but do like the black on black look on the box and sub.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered the DB Link kit (& an extra set of RCA's for 4-channel) off ebay. I've also bought a piece of MDF board from Menard's, and will be getting some carpet from Walmart tonight. Now I'm just waiting for my stock sub & box to sell on ebay, and I'll be ordering the amp next. I'll be fabbing the amp rack over the Thanksgiving holiday, so it'll be ready whenever the amp arrives. Can't wait!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DamonZ28
I just ordered the DB Link kit (& an extra set of RCA's for 4-channel) off ebay. I've also bought a piece of MDF board from Menard's, and will be getting some carpet from Walmart tonight. Now I'm just waiting for my stock sub & box to sell on ebay, and I'll be ordering the amp next. I'll be fabbing the amp rack over the Thanksgiving holiday, so it'll be ready whenever the amp arrives. Can't wait!
I ordered the same install kit yesterday, and i think it should arrive on monday. Looked like a pretty good deal.

@boricuaHec, does the alpine amp you bought come with a separate bass control? A buddy has a kicker amp that has a separate **** you can attach anywhere in the dash, and it control the bass level without messing with the headunit or amp. I thought it was a pretty cool feature, but his amp it too powerful for what i want.

My current setup will have a on/off toggle switch that can turn on and off the amp at will. Kinda like a manual fan switch.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by Zlow28
@boricuaHec, does the alpine amp you bought come with a separate bass control? A buddy has a kicker amp that has a separate **** you can attach anywhere in the dash, and it control the bass level without messing with the headunit or amp. I thought it was a pretty cool feature, but his amp it too powerful for what i want.

My current setup will have a on/off toggle switch that can turn on and off the amp at will. Kinda like a manual fan switch.
It has the option to put one in but I'm not going to use it anytime soon. Good to know I have the feature for it though.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It has the option to put one in but I'm not going to use it anytime soon. Good to know I have the feature for it though.
I'd suggest it

I probably tweak my bass for every song, and having a little **** is very practical. Mine came with the amp but separately it's like $20. But if you're gunna want to use it eventually do it now, you'll have to pull the interior out again to wire it.

Unless you already put the interior back
Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I'd suggest it

I probably tweak my bass for every song, and having a little **** is very practical. Mine came with the amp but separately it's like $20. But if you're gunna want to use it eventually do it now, you'll have to pull the interior out again to wire it.

Unless you already put the interior back
I'm not really famililar with those, wouldn't they work best with aftermarket speakers? I'm still working on stock. And isn't the bass control option in the headunit a good alternative for it? Any brand would work? I haven't started any installation yet.

Edit: Saw that I would need the Alpine RUX-****, should've kept that into consideration earlier.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 11-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not really famililar with those, wouldn't they work best with aftermarket speakers? I'm still working on stock. And isn't the bass control option in the headunit a good alternative for it? Any brand would work? I haven't started any installation yet.

Edit: Saw that I would need the Alpine RUX-****, should've kept that into consideration earlier.
You could use the head unit but at least for me I have to open it up, go to settings>audio> bass management and adjust it from there. Pretty challenging task when you're driving a 6 spd in stop and go traffic Defiantly worth the money IMO.

Placement is also important. I needed it someplace easy to reach and adjust but out of the way. I chose to put it on the side of the center console next to the cupholder:

Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

for what it's worth I've got the **** for my Epicenter in the cubby next to the cigarette lighter (where the TCS button is on TCS cars) and that is the one that I change based on the song (usually album), my amp also has one for the bass boost (some actually do the gain control, depends on the amp) and for now it's just in the passenger seat till I pick a place to mount it.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about putting mine around where the obd port is at, but not too far in. I just want to keep it hidden, but accessible. Nowhere near the passenger side either lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I'll look more into it but probably won't proceed on installing one at the moment. I should've got it sooner cause I'm going to start installing this weekend.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Just wondering real quick if this is the right battery terminal adaptor I should get?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=296092_0_0_

Quick Reply: In the market for sub/amp, information needed.