Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Finally doing a "System" in the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally doing a "System" in the car

Well after the kenwood hu i installed (used from my brother) finally took a dump i'm looking at putting in a kenwood KIV-BT901 i got for a great deal. My question is it better to just rewire my entire car? I've replaced almost all but the hatch speakers with 4 way kenwoods already. And what am i looking at as far as installing new cable etc.?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Running new wire through the doors is a pain. And not really needed unless you're running gobs of power to your doors. If you plan to amplify them, just go behind the stereo and run the wires from there.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Teching In

no need for new wiring unless yours is jacked up or you're running an amp for your highs and mids. put some subs in there!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Im almost done with mine I have a pioneer 8400 double dine touch screen with 2 hifonics amps 1500.1 D mono and 600.4 both are the ZRX series.... I reran new 12ga speaker wire I just did the front doors and sail panels with rockford fosgate power series and than 3 10 diamond audio subs dual voice 2 ohm
Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

OK, right off the bat, your car "should" be a monsoon system car, if that is the case then just throwing 4-way speakers into every location is the BIGGEST MISTAKE you could possibly make. those speakers are most likely simple 4-ohm speakers where your car is designed for something COMPLETELY different, the sail panels speaker should be 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofers or midranges (NOT 4-ways), because for one those locations only recieve a low range frequency to start with, so 4-ways are a TOTAL waste in that location (and if you rewire them to be full range speakers you will HATE yourself, because it will pull the sounstage so it sounds like everything is coming from the sail panel right behind you and will be extremely hard to balance out).

as for rewiring a factory monsoon car, unless you plan to eliminate the factory amp and go to an aftermarket one then it is really a pain in the *** and (unless wires are damaged) is a waste of time, only rewire if bypassing the factory monsoon amp.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Launching!

I Just cut the plug off the amp and wired everything together its only aPITA because theirs very few wiring diagrams for the amp to speakers since their all different color wires lol id be happy to take a picture to show the groupings if anyone need them since im working in the back atm
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by xenergyx
I Just cut the plug off the amp and wired everything together its only aPITA because theirs very few wiring diagrams for the amp to speakers since their all different color wires lol id be happy to take a picture to show the groupings if anyone need them since im working in the back atm
Not a problem at all... all the wire colors and their positions in the connectors are listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. Although, if the amp was still working, it seems kind of foolish to cut it out like that.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the kee audio level 2 package in my formula. With those CDT subs in the sails it sounds amazing! I was really not expecting that much bass from them, I can even notice the really low bass you usually never know is there without some big subs. It really makes every song sound completly differant. Now I need to throw in some sound deadener, all that plastic back there is vibrating like crazy now.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

I have the stock hu and replaced every speaker in my car ( the right way ) because they were blown, will a after market double din hu improve sound and quality quit a bit over the stock monsoon hu?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I have the stock hu and replaced every speaker in my car ( the right way ) because they were blown, will a after market double din hu improve sound and quality quit a bit over the stock monsoon hu?
Definitely. The factory head unit starts feeding significant distortion to the amp at less than half volume. Any decent aftermarket HU will improve sound quality, allow you to use more volume, and help your speakers last longer (distortion kills speakers).

Quick Reply: Finally doing a "System" in the car