Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pac swi-rc programming help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Pac swi-rc programming help!!

Wiring this to an 02 Z28 and a Kenwood KDC-X998. Bought the Metra harness and wired everything up and all is working fine as far as the radio goes. Today I decided to wire in the SWI-RC using the Black, Red and Green wires like the instructions say. Then used the Blue/Yellow wire for the Kenwood unit.

Followed the instructions and set the device to #1 and the dial to #3 for the kenwood. Here is where the issue starts, When I turn on the ignition the led blinks red once, then when I press the button to start the programming sequence its on solid. I press and hold the volume up button for 5 seconds to program it and then the LED light goes out and doesn't come back on. I press the program button on the SWI unit after that and nothing lights up anymore.

I have the black wires going to the black wire on the harness, the red to the red wire and the green to the dark blue on the vehicle harness. I noticed that there is a green/white wire next to the dark blue on the vehicle harness. Do I have to wire that one to the green as well?

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You've got the correct wiring connections, you just don't have the correct programming steps.

First you have to program the device to version 1. It sounds like you have done this but your description is incomplete so here are the steps:

1. Press and hold the Program Button on the SWI-RC while turning the ignition to the accessory position. The LED will turn on.

2. Release the Program Button and the LED will turn off.

3. Press the Program Button once. The LED will turn on and off. After you press the Program Button once, wait for 3 seconds. The LED will flash 1 time indicating it is programmed for version 1. If it flashes the wrong version number, you will have to start all over at step 1. Turn the key off.

4. Once you have programmed the correct version number, you will not have to do these steps again. If you ever need to reprogram the steering wheel control, you can go directly to the next section.
Now you have to program the individual buttons. The following steps must be followed exactly. If you skip anything, none of it will work.

1. Turn the key to the accessory position (you do not need to hold the Program Button this time). The LED will flash once. This indicates it is programmed for version 1. If it does not flash once and only once STOP - go back and reprogram the version.

2. Press and hold the Program Button until the LED turns on, then release the button (This will erase all previous learned steering wheel control functions). The SWI-RC is now ready to learn a command from the steering wheel.

3. The SWI-RC must be programmed in the specific order shown in the chart below. If a function is not needed, it may be skipped.
1 Volume Up
2 Volume Down
3 Mute
4 Source
5 Play
6 Track Up
7 Track Down
8 Disc/FM +
9 Disc/AM -
10 Answer

4. With the LED on, press and hold your steering wheel button until the light goes out and hold for one second more.

5. Release the steering wheel button and the LED should come back on. If it does not please double check all connections and verify for correct version programming.

6. Repeat step 4 and 5 to program additional steering wheel buttons in the order listed above.

7. If you come across a command in the chart that your steering wheel does not have, or you do not want to program, press the Program Button on the side of the SWI interface to skip to the next item.

8. The LED will flash once rapidly and then stay on confirming that you have successfully skipped that command and are ready for the next button. Go to step 4 for the next button.

9. When you are done programming all the buttons, wait for about 7 seconds. The LED will flash 3 times indicating it is done programming. The LED will then flash once indicating the version number.
The volume up/down, mute and track up/down (seek) buttons match well. You'll have to decide how you want to match the other steering wheel buttons to the rest of the functions. It is best to decide which buttons in advance and write them down in order so you can do the programming quickly. If you spend too much time during programming deciding what to do, the process will time out (as in step 9) and you'll have to start over.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response WhiteBird00, I am following the same exact instructions that you just posted. I went in and did the reprogramming for version 1 again this morning. When I turn the ignition on the LED flashes once indicating that its indeed programmed for version 1. I then hold the button until the LED comes on solid, followed by the volume + button until the LED light turns off. I then release the volume + button and then the LED doesn't come back on so that I can continue with the volume - button. This is where the problem is, it's as if it's not receiving any input from the steering wheel buttons. Completely stumped here, could it be that the unit is faulty?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Are you holding the steering wheel button for that extra second after the LED turns off?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I've held it for an extra second after that. I've tried more than one second as well without much luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a hell of a time programming mine. Then suddenly it took and now they work fine. It's not the easiest thing to do lol
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha thanks cole, hopefully it's that I guess i'll just keep trying lol
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It is possible that you got a defective unit - it wouldn't be the first one I've heard about. I think it's safe to conclude that your wiring is correct because it reacts correctly right up through the first button. BTW, the dark green with white wire next to the blue is the vehicle speed sensor for the factory automatic volume - do not connect to that. The only thing I can suggest trying is to start over at the beginning with programming the version again - that might just reset something that will get it to work.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll keep trying WhiteBird, thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Pac swi-rc programming help!!