Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU output power question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default HU output power question

I've swapped out a number of OE stereo units over the years, and I'm amazed at how big and heavy these units are, compared to an aftermarket unit. And obviously, as we all know, the OE units generate about a fourth (or less) of the output power of the aftermarket stuff.

I was always curious why, given how small the aftermarket chassis are, why they couldn't be made a tad bigger, and house a more powerful amplifier section. It seems like the in-dash HUs have pretty much been stalled at 24W/ch output, peak, since the early 80s. OR, is it because the OE wiring harness couldn't carry the additional current needed, to drive an amp section that generated more that 24W peak power?

Just curious......
Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OE wiring limitations really are what's the driving factor here.

People who want more power will run new wires with amps you know?
Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The OE wiring limitations really are what's the driving factor here.

People who want more power will run new wires with amps you know?
I am familiar with separate power amps, but the several that I've installed over the years, were in cars that had real trunks, rather than hatchbacks, like a 3rd-4th gen F-body. I found it easier to mount an amp to the bottom of the rear package shelf, and then just power a pair of rear speakers, although running a large gauge power wire through the car always gave me pause. Finding a suitable mounting place for a 4 channel amp in an late F-bod is a little challenging.

I was simply thinking that it would make it easier if a HU could have an internal amp with a little more HP.....sort of like Alpine's "power pack", but contained in the HU itself.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen some of the "cheaper" brand HU's advertising up to 80W/ch@4ohms, but not sure how those actually compare to the 45W/ch Name brand stuff.

What about going with a Bose set up? Each front speaker has it's own little amp, and the rears have a shared amp in the drivers rear quarter panel. Mine sounds good and it's prepacked, so easy install. Might find a used package cheap...

Or you can buy a 5-channel amp and mount it under the passenger front seat. Some are small enough to fit on the shelf to the drivers side of the T-Top trunk area and have 600W RMS@ 4 ohms.

Last edited by hrcslam; 07-10-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm using Rockford Fostgate PBR300X4 - 4ch amp.
Amplifier. SPECS: Height: 1.53" Width: 4.25" Length: 6.75" and it has some power to it.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
i'm using Rockford Fostgate PBR300X4 - 4ch amp.
Amplifier. SPECS: Height: 1.53" Width: 4.25" Length: 6.75" and it has some power to it.
Nice, if I remember right those Rockford Amps are rated at RMS too, so that should be 75RMS per channel. Good compact size. Could fit forward of the center console under the dash....
Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

Typically any headunit that advertises above 25 watts / channel is advertising Peak and not RMS.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Nice, if I remember right those Rockford Amps are rated at RMS too, so that should be 75RMS per channel. Good compact size. Could fit forward of the center console under the dash....
Yep Its 75RMS per channel.
I skipped HU and went with tablet in dash setup to amp.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Yep Its 75RMS per channel.
I skipped HU and went with tablet in dash setup to amp.

Quick Reply: HU output power question