Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal sticky, left lane change function hard to make work

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn Signal sticky, left lane change function hard to make work

Another question on my 2002 V6 camaro.

My turn signal stalk is a little weird. turn signals work, wiring is all good, but, when trying to use the left lane change function (stop just before it "clicks" into place to turn on left signal so when you let go, its turns back off) -- its REALLY hard to get it to work. its like its sticky in there somewhere, and by the time you push it hard enough to get to lane change position, it generally clicks into full on position.

Sometimes it works if i'm pull it just right, and sometimes when i let go it sticks into place, though still not latched into the full ON position...

I haven't taken apart the steering column yet, but wanted to see if anyone had had this issue themselves, or had thoughts for remedy other than taking removing the steering wheel.

Wasn't sure if it might be safe to spray something in through the hole in the side to try to clean the turn signal cam thing, or what???

Kinda random but possibly related:
1. the A/C vents are also "sticky" -- you kinda have to push hard to get them to move, but once you move them, they move ok for a while again.
2. The car seems to have had some sort of modification for disability at some point that has been removed. The knee panel was cut underneath in a small area under the steering column. Cut with a proper saw and smoothed out -- not hacked up. wiring all looks factory and proper at a glance. there is rocker damage right about where you'd hit it with a crutch or cane when you got out of the driver seat. I don't think it's relevant to the turn signal issue, but just thought I'd toss is out there.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

You probably just need to lube your turn signal switch. Unfortunately... you do need to take apart the column to do this. The part is in step #19 in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

You will want to use white lithium grease for the job. You don't want to spray anything in there because it will either:
- Not get in to the places where you need it
- Will dissolve the greases that are still in there and mess something else up

For the vents, a dry silicone spray might work but you'll want to make sure its safe for the plastic first.

Can you post a pick of your driver's side panel? At the time these cars were born, some dealers installed special electronic keys to prevent theft. (Mine did that and I had to remove the mechanism and replace the panel.) The chip in our keys did the same thing, but I understand that some dealers had insurance stipulations that they had to install the systems on everything.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Teching In

I've got a tub of some lithium grease, i'll see if there is any way i could inject a little without making mess.

The knee panel is shown here. if you look closely -- you can also see that there is almost nothing left of the lower under-dash piece either. Also -- when I replaced them, I realized the the metal bracket that holds the OBDII connector, and the center, lower mounting screw for the knee panel was hacked off. if this was a dealer job, i wouldn't trust them for anything!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ninety6
I've got a tub of some lithium grease, i'll see if there is any way i could inject a little without making mess.
You need to get the grease between the white plastic parts and between the metal springs and plastic parts. You won't be able to pull that off without taking the column apart.

It's tough the first time, but after that, it's a breeze.

I'm not sure what was in your dash. My first idea was a pedal lock,

but it looks like something electronic was there.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Teching In

I got this corrected last night. I opened it all up. The turn signal switch "looked" ok -- but just acted funny. Grease didn't help. I messed with it for a bit, then decided it was worth $20 to just get a new switch.

After putting in the new switch, it stopped at the "lane change" / halfway point fine - but would still stick there. Turns out the metal bracket / linkage that goes between the stalk and the switch was a little out of whack. I had about 7 attempts of bending it a little and trying again before finally getting it to work correctly.

So turns our there was a couple issues -- worn switch and whacky linkage. I'd image both have something to do with whatever mods were made to make it a hand-control or whatever handicap-accessible controlled vehicle. no telling, but it works now and i don't get annoyed every time i move a lane to the left.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal sticky, left lane change function hard to make work