Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blendmount/mirror tap

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blendmount/mirror tap

Does anyone know if the mirror tap works with 99 manual dim mirrors? It says it plugs into the auto-dim mirror harness, but wouldn't the manual mirrors with lights work too?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes and no. It would not work as intended because it requires ignition switched power so that the detector goes on and off with the car (the auto-dimming feature is ignition controlled). The F-body mirror lamps have constant (battery) power. Electrically speaking it would still work - it's power and ground - but you would have to turn the detector on and off manually.

You're probably better off to get the other wiring kit that has enough cable to run under the headliner and down the A pillar to an ignition switched source in the fuse panel. It's a little extra work to install but much more convenient in the long run.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

****. Didn't think about that. Well on the bright side I already have wires run. Unfortunately, since I stupidly wired it up to battery power, I still have work to do either way.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 'vert rear view mirror has "retained power" that is
key controlled (plus hang-time). I used it to power my
V1, right handy. I gather that the solid roof cars are
different?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Actually no, neither the coupe nor the convertible has ignition controlled or RAP power at the mirror. However, the power supply to the mirror is controlled by the BCM which has a battery saver circuit that turns off the interior electrics about 15 minutes after the ignition has been turned off. This is separate from the retained accessory power that powers the windows and radio for up to 10 minutes or until a door is opened. The battery saver circuit is designed to protect the car from draining the battery if a door is left open, a map light is left on or the hatch is left ajar.

I suppose you could use that for a radar detector. The detector would not turn off for some time after the car was shut off and would turn on every time the car was unlocked or a door was opened even if the car wasn't started.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

I could probably live with that. The way its wired up now its always on anyway.

Quick Reply: blendmount/mirror tap