Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Have a question for you pros out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question for you pros out there

I did a search and found a few results for a compass/temp mirror but not what I was looking for. I want to put one in my '56 Chevy Belair but have NO idea how to wire this thing or even if I CAN wire it to work in a non computer controlled car. Anyone know if this is possible ? is it just a positive/negative/ignition wireup then the temp probe or is it much more complicated ? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you get the one that doesn't have courtesy lights under the mirror then, yes, it's as easy as power, ground and locating the temperature probe someplace outside in the airstream (behind the grille, etc.). If you want to have the courtesy lights then you will have the additional wiring to the door switches.

For a '56, you will also have to get the correct windshield mounting 'button' and the adhesive. You can get them from any auto parts store.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Hey do a search for muth mirror systems. That is the company that actually makes the mirrors for the manufacturers. They also make the side mirrors with the turn signals in them. Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by VinMan2
Hey do a search for muth mirror systems. That is the company that actually makes the mirrors for the manufacturers. They also make the side mirrors with the turn signals in them. Hope this helps.
Actually, Muth Mirror Systems makes only signal mirrors. Gentex is the company that makes the OEM inside mirrors with temp, compass, homelink, OnStar, etc. Gentex doesn't sell direct but through their distributor Mito Corporation (who also distribute Muth's signal mirrors) and numerous accessory shops.

Magna Donnelly also makes compass/temp mirrors. Their mirrors have the display in the "chin" of the mirror rather than as part of the reflective surface. I suppose that's a good idea but I've had the compass and temp display in the reflective surface for years and have never found it distracting.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Launching!

ok, so basically when I find a truck with the mirror at the junkyard, I just have to make sure I get all the wiring and the temp probe from that truck and just install it in my car as described ... power, ground, temp probe ?
Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, but it doesn't have to come from a truck. Many makes and models of cars come with them as well. Just remember that it could be quite difficult to remove the temperature sensor since they are usually mounted someplace in the engine compartment, fender well, or front grill/bumper area and the wiring goes through the firewall at some point.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Teching In

The temp sensors are usually mounted around the core support area in front of the radiator. Ebay also has a lot of mirrors if you search for gentex and the new ones will have the full harness.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

um, no... muth also carries the compass/temp mirrors as well. we sell them all the time. i have done about 15 or 16 so far this year.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Launching!

um, no... muth also carries the compass/temp mirrors as well. we sell them all the time. i have done about 15 or 16 so far this year.

umm no what ?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, that's interesting considering that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to buy Muth compass/temp mirrors on the net - not even on their own site (www.kwmuth.com).