Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Struggling with VATS bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
Do you have an aftermarket alarm on the car?
Nope just the normal stock door alarm that has been engaged since my vats/bcm failed. It never registers the resistance so the car alarm never disengages?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Can you try leaving the battery unhooked, key to the run position, and then reconnect the negative.

May be able to power up the car without the system coming online the first time.

BTW, I would unhook the horn wire so that you can work on it without driving your neighbors up the wall...
Old 01-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman5677
I hate VATS and I'm going insane.
Almost looks easier to just replace the ignition cylinder and keep the full VATS functionality instead of going through all this to defeat the protection and put the car in a state where it can be hot wired?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this a new problem with the vehicle. Are you sure this is the original ign key for the vehicle. If disconnecting the VATs connector at the column and jumping it with a resistor dosnt start the car, perhaps you have a wiring issue or perhaps the BCM is no good on your car.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

heres a schematic of the anti theft system for our cars
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BCM.pdf (87.9 KB, 458 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah I'm thinking there is something bad with the connection or the BCM. The car's had the security light issue for a while now and now it seems it finally bit the dust. I bought a 50 hz module send the signal to the PCM for the fuel injectors. If I install this and bypass the TDR (theft deterrant relay that engages the starter), do you think my car will start? I'm honestly just piecing together other problems that people have had and most go to the module after the resistor method failed.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

The theft deterrent relay does not connect to the starter... it simply handles flashing the parking lights when an alarm has been triggered.

The two things you have to do to keep VATS from preventing starting is to ground the starter relay coil output (yellow/black wire) and fix the lack of a fuel enable signal from the BCM to the PCM - that is generally done using a tuner.

That will still leave the SECURITY light on your dash. A properly implemented VATS bypass takes care of all three.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Teching In

So, does that mean the starter is bad? I grounded the yellow black wire and nothing happened. The alarm was still engaged, honking and lights going.

Edit: I got the alarm reset. But still nothing when the wire is grounded and I try to start it.

Last edited by Snowman5677; 01-04-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Default vats

Snowman 5677, PM sent
Old 01-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Woo hoo! Got it started. Turns out I had a bad ground from the yellow/black. I'm confused because I swapped every single fan relay for the starter and ignition relays and still got nothing.

Edit: Welp, only got 2 starts out of that. Tried disconnecting the battery and wiring the yellow/black back in and all I hear is a knock. Tried putting the ground back in and I can't get it to start from that either.

Last edited by Snowman5677; 01-04-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Edit: Welp, only got 2 starts out of that. Tried disconnecting the battery and wiring the yellow/black back in and all I hear is a knock. Tried putting the ground back in and I can't get it to start from that either.
You drained the battery.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:38 PM

Default Remove Horn Relay

Things have only continued to go downhill for my car. Tried grounding the starter relay to see if I could get it to crank and now the car is just stuck in alarm activated mode. Before the door alarm was set but now the car just starts honking as soon as you hook up the battery. I hate VATS and I'm going insane.
If you want to work on it in peace without the alarm going off constantly, just remove the horn relay from the fuse box under your hood. I'm working through the same issue right now. Good luck
Old 02-27-2021, 05:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo Wilson
If you want to work on it in peace without the alarm going off constantly, just remove the horn relay from the fuse box under your hood. I'm working through the same issue right now. Good luck
Do you know this post is five years old?
Old 01-03-2023, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Do you know this post is five years old?
And im reading it like its right now! 😜
Old 05-01-2023, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,383 Posts

Originally Posted by TheeCamaroKid
heres a schematic of the anti theft system for our cars
Don't know if you're still on here but thanks for sharing...

It looks to me like I can disable the VATS on the PCM in HPTuners so the BCM will no longer comand fuel and then ground C11 from the BCM to allow the starter relay to start the car thus bypassing the stupid VATS system. I'd hate to be up on the starting line only to have a no start because a resistor decided to fail on me.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Don't know if you're still on here but thanks for sharing...

It looks to me like I can disable the VATS on the PCM in HPTuners so the BCM will no longer comand fuel and then ground C11 from the BCM to allow the starter relay to start the car thus bypassing the stupid VATS system. I'd hate to be up on the starting line only to have a no start because a resistor decided to fail on me.
Not quite... you don't want to ground the wire at the BCM, you want to ground the yellow/black wire coming out of the starter relay.

A properly wired and secured VATS bypass will last basically forever. I did one in my T/A and had it without failure for almost 10 years, and as far as I know the guy who bought the car is still running it without change another 10 years later. The bypass takes care of the security light in the dash as well, doesn't require rewiring the starter relay, and doesn't involve any PCM programming. All in all, a good solution for the cost of a couple of resistors (literally pennies) and maybe an hour of your time.
The following users liked this post:
01CamaroSSTx (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Ah, thank you for that. I wasn't sure so I was going to try it and see but I ended up putting a resistor on the PPL/WHT and WHT/BLK and was able to bump the starter over.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Two completely separate issues. The power windows and radio issue is caused by an intermittent failure of the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit in the BCM which in turn is commonly caused by a bad solder joint on the circuit board of the BCM. There is a simple fix here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html.

The SECURITY light in the instrument cluster is controlled by VATS. If it detects an invalid resistance value from the ignition key, the light will be solidly lit. If it fails to detect any resistance value, the light will be flashing. If the failure occurs while the engine is already running then the system assumes a fault and will still allow the car to be restarted. Otherwise, the system will disable both the starter relay and the fuel enable signal from the PCM effectively preventing the car from starting.

Since your car continues to start, the system must be considering the wrong resistance as a system fault. However, you must get it fixed before you disconnect the battery for any reason because when you reconnect the battery it will no longer be considered a fault and your car won't start.
My Security light is flashing. Car wont start. If it is failing to detect any resistance then what am I doing wrong? I have connected the correct resistance value..
Old 05-08-2023, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

What ohm value did you find for the key? An easy way to tell if the wires on the ignition switch has failed is to put a multimeter on each end of the plug connector which has the two white wires with an orange sleeve and check for continuity. No continuity then the connection has been broken.

Solution: Determine the ohm value of the reistor key so you can purchase the correct resistor(s) and either solder onto the PPL/WHT and WHT/BLK wires or cut the lead which has the two white wires, disconnect the connector and solder the resistor(s) between the two white wires and plug it back in. Check the ohm value of the connector prior to connecting it back up to see if it matches the key and if so then you should be good to go.

Still no start? Is the starter relay good and are you getting 12v at the power side of the relay when keyed on to start? If the VATS bypass didn't work and you're not getting a signal to the relay YLW/BLK wire from the BCM then you could have a bad body control module. If everything is working as it should then when you key it on to start you should have 12v at the purple wire coming from the starter relay which goes to the starter solenoid and if so then I'd start looking at your starter.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Nicolettegallegos
My Security light is flashing. Car wont start. If it is failing to detect any resistance then what am I doing wrong? I have connected the correct resistance value..
My first guess would be that you unplugged the connector under the steering column but then installed the resistors for the VATS bypass on the steering column side of the connector. You need to install the resistors on the connector side with the white/black and purple/white wires which go up into the dash and then to the BCM on the passenger's side.

Otherwise, either your resistors aren't making a solid connection to the two wires or there is a break in one or both wires between the steering column and the BCM.

Quick Reply: Struggling with VATS bypass