Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED flasher for LED front & rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know where I can find a FF552NLF flasher? Doesn’t seem like it’s in production anymore. If not that then a reputable LED flasher for a 00 Firebird. Also can anyone confirm that the switchbacks will be White with fogs on an parking lights on? Or will it be amber like the DRL?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

If you are only replacing the front lamps with LED bulbs then any of the electronic flashers will do the job. If you are replacing all exterior bulbs on your car with LEDs then you'll need a true no-load flasher. They are usually labeled "LED Flasher". Sorry, I don't have any information on particular brands.

On my 2000 T/A, the front lamps only switched to dim (parking) mode when the headlights were on. They stayed bright (DRL mode) when only the parking lights were on. Switchback bulbs produce white for the dim mode and amber for the bright mode so if yours is like mine, the switchbacks would be amber with the lights off or in parking mode and white only when the headlights are on. It's easy enough to check... watch the front lamps when you have someone move the headlight switch from off to P - if the DRLs dim then your switchbacks will switch to white but if they stay bright then your switchbacks will stay amber.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ws6AFBaker
Does anyone know where I can find a FF552NLF flasher? Doesn’t seem like it’s in production anymore. If not that then a reputable LED flasher for a 00 Firebird. Also can anyone confirm that the switchbacks will be White with fogs on an parking lights on? Or will it be amber like the DRL?

This is what you're looking for. Amazing company and fast shipping. Bought this for my 2000 SS because I put in l.e.d. turn signals. The hazard flasher was the same as the turn signal flasher so ignition two right away.
The following users liked this post:
ramairjohn2000 (06-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ws6AFBaker
Found it on their actual site.

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/ca...-Fixed-Flasher

I can't help you on the switchbacks as i don't have them.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Guz
Found it on their actual site.

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/ca...-Fixed-Flasher

I can't help you on the switchbacks as i don't have them.
yup actually ended up finding them shortly after I made the post lol. Was a late night of forum reading and my head was about cooked. Ended up ordered two of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ws6AFBaker:
ramairjohn2000 (06-08-2020), The Guz (04-08-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just did the conversion and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

The following 3 users liked this post by M4N14C:
ramairjohn2000 (06-08-2020), Steven503 (06-11-2020), The Guz (04-11-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

M4N14C, which bulbs and flasher did you use?
Also, it looks like you used a "F1" style pulser for the 3rd Brake Light.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
M4N14C, which bulbs and flasher did you use?
Also, it looks like you used a "F1" style pulser for the 3rd Brake Light.
2 X Keep It Clean No Load Fixed Pulse Flasher PN KICFF552NLF (One for turn signals and one for hazards)
4 X Pilot Automotive 3157 Red LED Light Bulbs (2 inner tail light bulbs)
2 X Auxito 194 LED Bulbs (Outer tail light bulbs)
4 X Auxito 194 Amber LED Bulbs (Side Markers)
2 X 3157 Amber LED Bulbs (Front turn signals)

I've had the 3rd brake light for a while now, I forget where it got it but lots of places carry them now. I did have to add some resistors to the 3rd brake light circuit to retain my cruise control.
ramairjohn2000 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Hate to ask but how does the install go for all of those? Looking at screaming chicken or late model lighting for other options and cost. Any feedback? Awesome car btw and love the roof rack!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I never added photos of when I swapped out the LED's into my 02 SS.

These were taken during the day with my phone.

Attachment 594934

Attachment 594935

I don't have any night photos of the front turn signals. But these are amber XP80's

Attachment 594936

Attachment 594937

Backup light which is an XP80

Attachment 594938

I had a lot of light in the background with the sensor light on the garage but the XP80's in the tail lights are very bright.

Tail lights only

Attachment 594939

Brakes applied

Attachment 594940

Quick video comparing LED's and halogen in the rear turn signals.

Left LED vs Right XP80 LED

https://vimeo.com/174143867

I will have to get some better photos at night.
Are you using white or red LED's for your tail lights/stop lights? I bought a set of LED's for my WS6 in red, but they seem a bit dim, even though they are good quality (projector glass, multiple LED's, etc).
Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Always use LEDs that match the color of the lens except with clear or white lenses - use red LEDs in a red tail light and amber LEDs in an amber turn signal. In other words, use the color you want to display regardless of the lens color (e.g. red LEDs for brake lights regardless of whether it's a red or clear lens). If you use white LEDs behind a red lens, you end up with pink tail lights.

Things like projector glass and multiple LEDs are not a good indication of the brightness of the bulbs. There are multiple types and generations of LED chips that make a huge difference in brightness. Believe it or not, even the lumens rating of the bulbs doesn't always indicate the brightest bulb... partly because many vendors simply add up the theoretical maximum output of the chips (similar to peak power vs RMS for amps) but also because the configuration of the lamp you install in has a huge effect on the apparent brightness. I have found some relatively inexpensive LED bulbs that perform better than expensive ones in certain lamps but generally the better bulbs cost more. I generally try a few different designs (cylindrical, tower, 2-sided, and the unique Philips design) to find the one that looks best in any given lamp. I have had good luck on several vehicles with the iBrightstar 9-30V LED bulbs from Amazon.

ARSENAL670 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670
Are you using white or red LED's for your tail lights/stop lights? I bought a set of LED's for my WS6 in red, but they seem a bit dim, even though they are good quality (projector glass, multiple LED's, etc).
Red behind the red, yellow behind the yellow and white behind the clear. Diode Dynamics XP80's are great and are bright.
ARSENAL670 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Always use LEDs that match the color of the lens except with clear or white lenses - use red LEDs in a red tail light and amber LEDs in an amber turn signal. In other words, use the color you want to display regardless of the lens color (e.g. red LEDs for brake lights regardless of whether it's a red or clear lens). If you use white LEDs behind a red lens, you end up with pink tail lights.

Things like projector glass and multiple LEDs are not a good indication of the brightness of the bulbs. There are multiple types and generations of LED chips that make a huge difference in brightness. Believe it or not, even the lumens rating of the bulbs doesn't always indicate the brightest bulb... partly because many vendors simply add up the theoretical maximum output of the chips (similar to peak power vs RMS for amps) but also because the configuration of the lamp you install in has a huge effect on the apparent brightness. I have found some relatively inexpensive LED bulbs that perform better than expensive ones in certain lamps but generally the better bulbs cost more. I generally try a few different designs (cylindrical, tower, 2-sided, and the unique Philips design) to find the one that looks best in any given lamp. I have had good luck on several vehicles with the iBrightstar 9-30V LED bulbs from Amazon.

I figured that, but when I pulled the tail light bulbs out from the WS6, they were all clear. Which is why I asked.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Red behind the red, yellow behind the yellow and white behind the clear. Diode Dynamics XP80's are great and are bright.

Do you have video of them flashing? Just curious. For $90/set, i'll be spending $270 if I do the XP 80s for the front and rear. WS6's need 4 3157 style bulbs for the rear.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I figured that, but when I pulled the tail light bulbs out from the WS6, they were all clear. Which is why I asked.
That's correct. The incandescent bulbs that are factory installed have always been clear except for amber turn signal bulbs. That's because changing color means tinting the glass of the bulb rather than changing the color of the light source (filament) itself. Tinting the glass reduces output so it's a trade off between brightness and color. With LEDs, the light source itself (the LED chip) produces the color so matching them to the lens gives the most effective look.
ARSENAL670 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Do you have video of them flashing? Just curious. For $90/set, i'll be spending $270 if I do the XP 80s for the front and rear. WS6's need 4 3157 style bulbs for the rear.
This is one of those cases where the lamp design has a huge impact on apparent brightness. The tail lights have bulbs which go straight in from the back so they depend mostly on filling the reflector with light. This is where high end bulbs like the Diode Dynamics can really shine (pun intended). The front lamps have the bulbs go in from the bottom so you're looking at the side of the bulb rather than the end. You can use less expensive bulbs in this situation and still get impressive results. Bear in mind that the front bulb's bottom mounting limits the height of the bulb which will fit without running into the top of the housing so most of those tall tower style bulbs won't work.
ARSENAL670 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

That's correct. The incandescent bulbs that are factory installed have always been clear except for amber turn signal bulbs. That's because changing color means tinting the glass of the bulb rather than changing the color of the light source (filament) itself. Tinting the glass reduces output so it's a trade off between brightness and color. With LEDs, the light source itself (the LED chip) produces the color so matching them to the lens gives the most effective look.
Never realized the science behind it, but I appreciate the info!

This is one of those cases where the lamp design has a huge impact on apparent brightness. The tail lights have bulbs which go straight in from the back so they depend mostly on filling the reflector with light. This is where high end bulbs like the Diode Dynamics can really shine (pun intended). The front lamps have the bulbs go in from the bottom so you're looking at the side of the bulb rather than the end. You can use less expensive bulbs in this situation and still get impressive results. Bear in mind that the front bulb's bottom mounting limits the height of the bulb which will fit without running into the top of the housing so most of those tall tower style bulbs won't work.
Good to know. I ran into this with the side markers. I swapped out the stock colored marker lens's with smoked ones, and 194 LED's from V-LED's. Went with the brightest possible, which meant the tallest. No issues up front, but in the rear - guess what - too tall. So now, I ordered a set for the rear from superbrightled's which appear to be shorter.

I appreciate all of the info, you know your stuff!
Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Wait for their 20% off sales. They should be having one for 4th of July, Labor Day and Black Friday.

ARSENAL670 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Wait for their 20% off sales. They should be having one for 4th of July, Labor Day and Black Friday.

https://vimeo.com/174143867

Thanks for the tip! I like the "defined" flash - that is the look i'm going for. Some LED's act more like the regular bulbs when they flash.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of going the flasher and external resistor route, I went with Lasfit LEDs. The headlights and fog LEDs are absolutely brite white. Whiter than DD. The turn signals come with an integrated resistor for front and back and the reverse does as well. They also have the proper size and type interior LEDs. Check them out, they are less and last as longer or longer than DD. Used then in my 19 Traverse so they do work with resistors. I use DD throughout my 09 Colorado and ended up exchanging the dome and replacing high beams and fogs. Much happier. Left the tails intact and still using the external resistors.

Lasfit, remove and replace w/o external resistors and flashers. Head light LEDs range from $59.00 to $69.00 for both low and high beams, switchbacks or turn signals around $20 and dome and license LEDs are from $6.00 to 12.00.
ramairjohn2000 (07-31-2020)

Quick Reply: LED flasher for LED front & rear