Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sub problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub problems

my sub just doesn't sound very good. i have an older kicker model sub 10" and a kenwood 150 watt amp. it can hit pretty hard, but it's hard to set the frequencies correctly, because sometimes it just makes a popping noise, almost like it is busted. but other times it sounds good.

do you guys that run a sub with the stock HU still use your bass/treble controls, or use the custom audio levels? (like classic, rock, etc). i can't figure it out. i just can't find a good sound.

as far as the popping noise, also long ringing bass notes tend to die out on the sub. do you think the probem is with the sub, the wiring, the amp, or what? i'm blaming it on the sub right now, but i really don't know. i bought the 4 gauge wire kit from wal mart, and i think 4 gauge is more than enough for what i need.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, 4 guage is and overkill for 150 watts. Has it always been this way? What last were made to your set up?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i just did this yesterday. even though 4 gauge is overkill, would it really make a difference in the way it sounds? i really don't see how that could be a problem just because i have a bigger power wire...
Old 06-25-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

What type, volume box is the woofer in? If it's in a ported box, and the woofer is playing below the box's tuned frequency, it can cause the sub to bottom-out, causing the popping sound. Is the ground to your amp solid and corrosion-free?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, i don't have a capacitor hooked up - do i really need one?

i *thought* the ground was ok. i bought a new sub and it did nothing but pop as well, just like the other one. i don't really know what the problem is actually. the rca cables maybe?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

It's probably a leak in your box. make sure that your box is sealed tight.
You shouldn't need a capacitor at all for that level of power. If you are using 4 ga, and it is fused within 18 inches of the battery, the power wire is good. I think your problem is in the box the sub is in.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

it was the amp. i got a new one today. it's from best buy - a dual (that's the brand) and it's 170x1 watts. it has good sustained notes, but not too good on the thump on the kicks. should i get a new amp or sub? what sub? what amp? i have stock stereo otherwise, so i don't want to reach that level of bass where i need more mids/highs and i can't get it out of the stock system. and that's why i thought the 170 amp would be fine.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tuffluck
it was the amp. i got a new one today. it's from best buy - a dual (that's the brand) and it's 170x1 watts. it has good sustained notes, but not too good on the thump on the kicks. should i get a new amp or sub? what sub? what amp? i have stock stereo otherwise, so i don't want to reach that level of bass where i need more mids/highs and i can't get it out of the stock system. and that's why i thought the 170 amp would be fine.
So the bass sounds "mushy"? What kind of woofer, box, and where is it located?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:23 AM
Teching In

sounds like ur amp was making ur sub burp left and right... i think that's when u get alot of spl or something