Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit

When I bought this car I replaced the power antenna with a brand new GM unit. Yes, I spent a good dollar for the part, but I wanted an original OEM antenna. And it works perfectly, all the way up and down, no noise or issues while using the stock head unit.

Last year I bit the bullet and installed a double din JVC headunit w/External sub. Wired up everything carefully and correctly. The only issue I have is the antenna up about an inch sometimes after the car if shut off. I can manually push it back down.

Although I never use AM/FM, if I do, the antenna will go all the way up and all the way down as expected.

When I use anything else (XM, Bluetooth, Pandora) is when I find the antenna popped up when I've shut the car off. See attached pic.

For some reason, I assume, a brief signal gets sent to the antenna.

Any thoughts on why this happens?
Attached Thumbnails Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit-img_0641.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I put a switch inline (the pink wire) so it stays down unless I want it up.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP1
This is exactly what I did.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
I thought about doing that, but would be nice if the antenna operated as expected with the aftermarket headunit.

Thanks tho, I'll keep it in mind.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could wire the blue wire from the jvc through a relay first, before it powers the antenna wire. If there's a small voltage resting on the blue wire when you're not listening to am/fm, this would allow the antenna control wire to truly rest at 0 volts.

Might work, might not. But at least give it a shot. If it doesn't work, then a manual switch as stated above may be a good option. The relay would basically do the same thing, just without you having to flip a switch every time.

Best of luck, post up if you have any other questions.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
You could wire the blue wire from the jvc through a relay first, before it powers the antenna wire. If there's a small voltage resting on the blue wire when you're not listening to am/fm, this would allow the antenna control wire to truly rest at 0 volts.

Might work, might not. But at least give it a shot. If it doesn't work, then a manual switch as stated above may be a good option. The relay would basically do the same thing, just without you having to flip a switch every time.

Best of luck, post up if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the idea...I think your on to something here.

Any thought on what kind of relay for this?

Also, I re-read the instruction page for wiring, and i see there is a box of some sort JVC pictures with the power and switched power wires running through, see pic bottom right corner. I dont know what that box is supposed to be.
Attached Thumbnails Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit-jvc.png  

Last edited by michaelhawk; 09-11-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 261 Likes on 225 Posts

That's just a generic representation of the car's electrical system. The fuse box depicted close to the battery represents the junction box under the hood and the other two fuses represent the fuse panel at the end of the dash. They don't represent anything specific to the JVC setup.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's just a generic representation of the car's electrical system. The fuse box depicted close to the battery represents the junction box under the hood and the other two fuses represent the fuse panel at the end of the dash. They don't represent anything specific to the JVC setup.
Thanks, that helps.

So I think I'd be looking for a 12v Relay with a delay. I'll start playing around with this later in the week.

Last edited by michaelhawk; 09-14-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

This is what I came up with. Reply with a delay, and OEM male and OEM female end connector to make this thing plug and plus without cutting my harness.

Seems to work well! During my testing the antenna never went up, not even a little, when NOT using AM/FM.

When selecting AM or FM, a 6 second delay and the antenna climbed all the way up. Upon selecting something else or shutting the car off, the antenna dropped all the way down.

Time will tell tomorrow with normal driving and all to verify the antenna NOT going up at all, when using Bluetooth or Pandora APP.

Thanks for everyones ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit-img_0690.jpg   Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit-img_0688.jpg   Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit-img_0694.jpg  
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Here's an update on my little gadget: It Works!

Not once have I found the antenna popped up at all.

Quick Reply: Power Antenna pops up w/Aftermarket Headunit