Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Theftlock

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Theftlock

A couple weeks ago, I went to put a new battery in the WS6, since the old one was dead (including the trickle charger attached to it). New Interstate battery and trickle charger, all is well. Except for theft lock. No problem, I have that 800 number and the method to unlock my radio with the codes. Or so I think. Now I get an automated message each time I call - "Your call cannot be completed as dialed...please check the number and try again." WTF. Did the number change or is there a new procedure? I'd like to get this thing unlocked without having the pay the dealer for something I can do/have done before. Anyone have any info?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

For the longest time the theftlock code was the last 4 digits of the VIN. Might try that
Old 05-24-2020, 05:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
For the longest time the theftlock code was the last 4 digits of the VIN. Might try that
Maybe in other GM vehicles but not in f-bodies. The Theftlock system was not activated from the factory - it was left to owners to set it themselves if they wanted. Presumably, if they did that, they would rember their own code.

The listed unlock numbers have been discontinued because they were deemed obsolete since they only applied to radios that are almost 20 years old and very unlikey to ever be stolen.

What confuses me is if the OP has done this before, why wasn't Theftlock turned off at that time to avoid future problems?
Old 05-26-2020, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Maybe in other GM vehicles but not in f-bodies. The Theftlock system was not activated from the factory - it was left to owners to set it themselves if they wanted. Presumably, if they did that, they would rember their own code.

The listed unlock numbers have been discontinued because they were deemed obsolete since they only applied to radios that are almost 20 years old and very unlikey to ever be stolen.

What confuses me is if the OP has done this before, why wasn't Theftlock turned off at that time to avoid future problems?

I didn't anticipate my trickle charger kicking out randomly, causing the battery to die without my knowledge while in storage; nor did I think to disable the theftlock the last time the vehicle was in use. If I can get it unlocked this time around, I certainly will turn it off. I did remember after the fact that I had written some codes down that I used in the past, which are on the piece of paper with the instructions, in the glove box....which is 40 miles from here. This weekend, I'll give it another shot with those codes. Hopefully those work even though they are very old. I'll disable the theftlock then.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Using the phone in code retrieval does not actually change the code - it just unlocks the system. If you have the code that was set written down somewhere then you don't have to use any codes you called in for in the past. If you don't then it's extremely unlikely that any of the call-in codes you got before will work. It's one of those challenge-response systems where you generate a code in the radio, then phone to get the corresponding response code. Unless you just happen to get the same challenge code from the radio this time (extremely unlikely), none of the previous codes will work.

Fortunately, a replacement Monsoon head unit only runs about $80. Or, for a little more, you could upgrade to a new double DIN unit with features like Bluetooth and USB input.

The following users liked this post:
ARSENAL670 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

I'll see what happens this weekend when I attempt to troubleshoot.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Worst case you can get a used factory stereo for not much money and swap it in a few minutes.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Fortunately, I got it to work. The old code on the instruction page that I had found/written down still worked! Now I need to find the instructions on how to disable the Theftlock,
Old 06-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Here's how to disable Theftlock:
Enter your secret code as follows; pause no more than 15 seconds between steps:
1. Turn the ignition to ACC or RUN.
2. Turn the radio off.
3. Press the 1 and 4 buttons together. Hold them down until SEC shows on the display.
4. Press MIN and 000 will appear on the display.
5. Press MIN again to make the last two digits agree with your code.
6. Press HR to make the first one or two digits agree with your code.
7. Press AM-FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code you have written down.

The display will show --- indicating that the radio is no longer secured.
The following users liked this post:
ARSENAL670 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Here's how to disable Theftlock:

Thank you Will give that a go this upcoming weekend.

Quick Reply: Theftlock