Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My car won't change lock chirp settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default My car won't change lock chirp settings

Currently and since I got the car its double chirped on the first lock button push. I would rather it be a single chirp on the second push. I followed the directions I found on here and even got the appropriate confirmation but it still double chirps on the first lock button push. I tried several times to put it in the mode I want, each time getting the confirmation and it never changed. The horn also has a high pitched sound instead of the normal horn sound (even while normal honking), could this be causing it to not change modes for some reason?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

You can't program it to single chirp - it will always chirp twice unless the hatch is open. You can program whether it chirps every time or only on a second lock button press if you have the optional factory alarm system. You enter programming mode with the following steps:
  1. Turn the ignition key to RUN but do not start the car.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Remove the RADIO fuse.
  4. Turn the ignition key to ACCY (toward you)
You will hear one or two chimes. If you hear only one chime, you cannot program the keyless entry verification. Only if you hear two chimes can you proceed with the following steps:
  1. Press the UNLOCK button on the remote fob.
  2. Count the number of chimes you hear - this corresponds to the current setting of the keyless entry verification...
    1. All off (lights won't flash and horn won't honk)
    2. Horn and lights, lights only (both horn and lights on lock, lights only on unlock)
    3. Horn and lights (both horn and lights on both lock and unlock)
    4. Lights only (lights will flash on both lock and unlock)
    5. Lights, horn and lights, lights (lights flash on first lock, both horn and lights on second lock, lights only on unlock)
  3. Press the UNLOCK button on the remote fob again and count the number chimes.
  4. Repeat step #3 until the number of chimes you hear corresponds to the setting you want (in this case 5)
  5. Turn the ignition OFF and reinstall the RADIO fuse to exit programming mode.
When followed exactly (it's very picky about the exact sequence), you should be able to set the horn to chirp (twice) only on the second press of the LOCK button on your remote fob provided you have the optional factory alarm.
The following users liked this post:
FU_I_AM_UltraZ (05-30-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can't program it to single chirp - it will always chirp twice unless the hatch is open. You can program whether it chirps every time or only on a second lock button press if you have the optional factory alarm system. You enter programming mode with the following steps:
  1. Turn the ignition key to RUN but do not start the car.
  2. Turn the ignition OFF.
  3. Remove the RADIO fuse.
  4. Turn the ignition key to ACCY (toward you)
You will hear one or two chimes. If you hear only one chime, you cannot program the keyless entry verification. Only if you hear two chimes can you proceed with the following steps:
  1. Press the UNLOCK button on the remote fob.
  2. Count the number of chimes you hear - this corresponds to the current setting of the keyless entry verification...
    1. All off (lights won't flash and horn won't honk)
    2. Horn and lights, lights only (both horn and lights on lock, lights only on unlock)
    3. Horn and lights (both horn and lights on both lock and unlock)
    4. Lights only (lights will flash on both lock and unlock)
    5. Lights, horn and lights, lights (lights flash on first lock, both horn and lights on second lock, lights only on unlock)
  3. Press the UNLOCK button on the remote fob again and count the number chimes.
  4. Repeat step #3 until the number of chimes you hear corresponds to the setting you want (in this case 5)
  5. Turn the ignition OFF and reinstall the RADIO fuse to exit programming mode.
When followed exactly (it's very picky about the exact sequence), you should be able to set the horn to chirp (twice) only on the second press of the LOCK button on your remote fob provided you have the optional factory alarm.
Those are the steps I followed (actually found an older post you made about this and followed that lol) and it verifies its in mode 5 by the chimes but for some reason it still honks on the first push of the lock button. I even followed the steps and verified 3 times that its in mode 5. I believe originally when I started the process it was in mode 2.

Quick Reply: My car won't change lock chirp settings