Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turn signal help

I have Holley Terminator X EFI and a Holley Pro Dash in place of the stock gauge cluster. I'm trying to get my turn signals to work but not having much luck. my car (2000 Trans Am) is LED front to back and when you the turn signals the front and back only light up faintly without blinking, the hazards pretty much do the same thing, light up but no blinking at all. I ordered a new LED flasher and am curious to see if that does anything or if it is because I don't have the stock gauge cluster anymore
Old 07-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

If you ordered a true no-load LED flasher then that should solve the problem (you'll actually need two - one for the turn signals and one for the hazards). If you ordered an ordinary electronic flasher like an EL-12, it still won't work. That would be sufficient for LED bulbs in the front only (a common upgrade) but won't handle the near zero current draw when all lights are LED.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you ordered a true no-load LED flasher then that should solve the problem (you'll actually need two - one for the turn signals and one for the hazards). If you ordered an ordinary electronic flasher like an EL-12, it still won't work. That would be sufficient for LED bulbs in the front only (a common upgrade) but won't handle the near zero current draw when all lights are LED.
I ordered this one from superbrightleds CF12ANL-01, will turn signals work without getting the proper one for the hazards?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OP, I was in a similar situation, LED all around and I went through 3 different no-load flashers before I found one that worked (I tried swapping polarity on all of them as well). The one that finally worked for me was the United Pacific 90650 (the style with the ground wire that comes out of the case).
Old 07-13-2021, 08:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny57
I ordered this one from superbrightleds CF12ANL-01, will turn signals work without getting the proper one for the hazards?
Yes, the turn signals and hazards are separate circuits, each with its own flasher.

Don't be surprised if that flasher still doesn't solve the problem. True no-load flashers are not common and they usually don't sell for a mere $10.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, the turn signals and hazards are separate circuits, each with its own flasher.

Don't be surprised if that flasher still doesn't solve the problem. True no-load flashers are not common and they usually don't sell for a mere $10.
man that's just what I had bought, I have no real idea what I need. price isn't really a big deal nor are actually having turn signals but would like to get them back working.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Teching In

got my package of stuff from Superbrightleds and got everything installed, almost forgot about the flasher itself. put it in and it works perfectly. turn signals are perfectly timed and working great.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We use the no load led flashers from United Pacific for our led combo kits and installs here at the shop. We combine the ground from both flashers and ground near the steering column. We include 4th gen specific instructions and product below includes both flashers (flashers used are the United Pacific 90650).

1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird LED flashers (screamingchicken.com)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scfbodytx
We use the no load led flashers from United Pacific for our led combo kits and installs here at the shop. We combine the ground from both flashers and ground near the steering column. We include 4th gen specific instructions and product below includes both flashers (flashers used are the United Pacific 90650).

1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird LED flashers (screamingchicken.com)
I'm not doubting this at all or the legitimacy of Screaming Chicken but my problem I had (all leds and no dash gauge cluster anymore) was solved with only a flasher from superbrightleds
Old 08-07-2021, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny57
I'm not doubting this at all or the legitimacy of Screaming Chicken but my problem I had (all leds and no dash gauge cluster anymore) was solved with only a flasher from superbrightleds
No problem, didn't take it that way. We have had good reliability with the United Pacific flashers but there are a lot of different brands available and they all have a very similar design. The flashers with no ground wire would work sometimes, but the flashers with the ground wire work best if you have more than one set of led bulbs. We cut the ground wire to length/combine them and add 4th gen specific instructions for an easier install in a 4th gen. We have been selling the United Pacific flashers since 2019, tried some other brands before that and they worked most of the time but not as reliable based on customer feedback.

Quick Reply: Turn signal help