Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Atoto Android radio on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Atoto Android radio on a budget

Being an old school car audio installer back in the day I have always played around with trying different head units. Before android radios were really a thing..Ive built what was at the time somewhat popular a car pc with a 7 inch touch screen display. This was great for audio quality but unstable for harsh environments. I moved onto Atoto and tried out a basic unit. I figured it was very cheap..test it out and if it didnt work well or last a yr then I wasnt out of pocket big money for the features I wanted. Years later and 3 cars Im now using my 5th unit from them. This would be my 3rd unit in the Transam, 1 in my winter beater subaru and I had 1 in my Ctsv when I sold it. Ive sold my 2 older units out of this car to try out newer models as they come out. I will say Im pretty happy with with you get on a budget unit. You have the modern tech of gps,handsfree calling,bluetooth streaming,obd2 diag etc. with good screen quality for video playback, can have front and rear view camera and full time recording. I opted for the tpms usb add on for tire pressure data. For most people you can get less expensive model that has hard buttons with less built in memory. I mainly tether data from my phone to use gps now and then but the handsfree with google assistant is nice to have. Heres a review of the unit I used. Ive made room for a dbl din unit in my car some time ago, I need to make a new faceplate the fits this screen better but the back on the android unit is not as deep as others so I was able to flush mount it fairly well.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got a couple of them no real complaints. Need to find a better media player than are in there natively, but that's preference.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:13 AM
12 Second Club

I dont watch alot of videos to need a better media player. But I do have VLC on there for that small occasion. What is it that you specifically dont like about the media player?
Old 09-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Launching!

I don't watch vids on it. I have a largish mp3 collection (50kish) I have stored on a usb drive. There's a glitch in the player where it trips up in the G's. Haven't spent any time looking for anything better.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah thats a fair amount of music to be on a external device. I guess its constantly loading data and thats why it glitches. I have maybe 3k of mp3s on my sd car and it doesnt give trouble.My full library is on my home desktop and its up their in the 50k or more.

Possibly could be the usb drive is slow for data transfer, have you tried putting the collection on a sd card instead?
Old 09-07-2021, 08:36 PM
Launching!

I have not. But, yes I've considered it a couple of times. Not sure I have an sd card sitting around big enough. But I've worked from home for almost 10 years now so I don't drive every day. If I did it would have bothered me more.. lol

I'll have to see if I've got one laying around, or if I'll have to throw one on my next amazon order.

They were not bargain basement usb drives And for ref, mine are the A6 Pros.

Used to be big into car audio, installed quite a few systems over the years. Even competed back in the mid 90's. Went to SBN back in 96 I think it was. Built my first carputer back in 02 ish. Found the smallest motherboard I could find and bent up a case for it. Just barely fit under the seat of my wrx. Mounted a touchpad on the center arm rest.

Quick Reply: Atoto Android radio on a budget