Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo install question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stereo install question.

Hi all
I have an 01 ws6 which originally had the 10 speaker monsoon system. Everything has been removed by a previous owner and the wiring hacked beyond use. I plan to install the type R system that I removed from my colorado before I sold it. I've already installed the component set into the doors, I'm putting the coaxial speakers into the sail location which I know used to be midrange subs. I may change that later depending on how it sounds. I also have a type r 8" in the alpine box that I may use. All of which will be running off a 5 channel amp. The rear hatch speakers are out of a 96 firebird, so they are the 4" speaker with the tweeter wired in series. I was intending to run the hatch speakers off the Alpine head unit as rear fill, but noticed that they are rated at 10 ohm. I connected them today and they sound fine, but my question is, will this damage the head unit as it would be a 4 ohm output?
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't believe this will be a problem. If it was the other way around, it would be a problem. Older stereos require higher impedance speakers and if you hook up a low ohm speaker, it appears as an almost dead short to the radio's output transistor. I discovered this chasing an original 70's AM-FM Delco radio for my El Camino using modern speakers. Not good.

In your case with a modern low impedance stereo into a high impedance speaker, I think it will only cause a minor efficiency problem. Nothing fatal.

Rick
Old 09-11-2021, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks Rick.
after listening to them a bit, I imagine that I will end up replacing them with some 4" coaxials as they don't actually sound that great. Not surprising for the age!
Old 09-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

You can always install higher impedance speakers without damaging the amp's output section but, as B52bombardier1 mentioned, you should not install lower impedance speakers even now... not just with older stereos. Lower impedance increases current flow which increases heat and will damage the output section of any amp not rated (stable) for the lower impedance. Higher impedance reduces current flow which reduces power output but also keeps the amp cool and happy.

GM was known for using what they called "extended range" speakers which were just ordinary speakers with the unusual 10-ohm impedance. It was done to deliberately reduce power output from rear speakers to keep the sound stage more forward. The 3rd generation f-bodies had 10-ohm full range speakers in the sail panels for that very reason.
The following users liked this post:
Ws6_phoenix (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the help!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

I should have mentioned that you can use 4-ohm speakers in place of the factory 10-ohm "extended" speakers. Both the head unit and the amp are 4-ohm stable so you will cause no harm using them.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I should have mentioned that you can use 4-ohm speakers in place of the factory 10-ohm "extended" speakers. Both the head unit and the amp are 4-ohm stable so you will cause no harm using them.
Thanks! I will likely be switching them out as they don't sounds great, which isnt surprising for the age.

Quick Reply: Stereo install question.