Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Derale fan wiring, please check

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question Derale fan wiring, please check

I recently installed two Derale pusher fans to help me with my high engine temps I have also replaced the car battery since it had a dead cell. As well as had the stock alternator upgraded for 172 Amps from a reputable shop due to the high current draw of the fans, my dual fuel pumps, and the possibility of updated stereo next year.

Upon starting the car the dash reads about 14 volts, however, once the fans kick in the needle drops down under 13 volts in the yellow hashed area.

Can someone verify my wiring? Using Derale Dual Electric Fan Relay Harness Part# 16765 and Derale High output fan Part# 16925

FAN#1
Battery Power from the Post on the Fuse panel, then to the Red Wire (Pin 30) of #1 Relay.
Chassis ground to Black wire (Pin 86) of #1 Relay.
Green A/C trigger (Pin 85) wire terminated and heat-shrunk.
The yellow wire (Pin 85) to Factory trigger for stock L fan.
Orange wire (Pin 87) to 30 Amp fuse to Blue wire on Derale L Fan.
Negative Fan wire (Black) to Factory L fan ground wire.

FAN#2
Battery Power from the Post on the Fuse panel, then to Red Wire (Pin 30) of #2 Relay.
Chassis ground to Black wire (Pin 86) of #2 Relay.
The yellow wire (Pin 85) to Factory trigger for stock R fan.
Orange wire (Pin 87) to 30 Amp fuse to Blue wire on Derale R fan.
Negative Fan wire (Black) to Factory R fan ground wire.

Using factory wiring allows me to have the PCM command on and off temps of fans, which works correctly. Also, when the A/C compressor is engaged the 2nd fan triggers on regardless of engine temp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
16765.pdf (35.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf
16925.pdf (54.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
I recently installed two Derale pusher fans to help me with my high engine temps I have also replaced the car battery since it had a dead cell. As well as had the stock alternator upgraded for 172 Amps from a reputable shop due to the high current draw of the fans, my dual fuel pumps, and the possibility of updated stereo next year.

Upon starting the car the dash reads about 14 volts, however, once the fans kick in the needle drops down under 13 volts in the yellow hashed area.

Can someone verify my wiring? Using Derale Dual Electric Fan Relay Harness Part# 16765 and Derale High output fan Part# 16925

FAN#1
Battery Power from the Post on the Fuse panel, then to the Red Wire (Pin 30) of #1 Relay.
Chassis ground to Black wire (Pin 86) of #1 Relay.
The yellow wire (Pin 85) to Factory trigger for stock L fan.
Orange wire (Pin 87) to 30 Amp fuse to Blue wire on Derale L Fan.
Negative Fan wire (Black) to Factory L fan ground wire.

FAN#2
Battery Power from the Post on the Fuse panel, then to Red Wire (Pin 30) of #2 Relay.
Chassis ground to Black wire (Pin 86) of #2 Relay.
The yellow wire (Pin 85) to Factory trigger for stock R fan.
Orange wire (Pin 87) to 30 Amp fuse to Blue wire on Derale R fan.
Negative Fan wire (Black) to Factory R fan ground wire.

Using factory wiring allows me to have the PCM command on and off temps of fans, which works correctly. Also, when the A/C compressor is engaged the 2nd fan triggers on regardless of engine temp.
Possibly try wiring the Red wires directly to the positive post at the battery or since your wiring is on the driverside maybe directly to the ALT just to see if you still get the voltage drop.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Have you used an actual voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery?
Old 10-22-2021, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

The dash volt meter will always dump low due to al the parasitic competing loads ,, I would add a power block with Fuse that is sourced off the battery +,
you can buy them with 2,4,6,8 fuses. This block would be where you feed the red wires to the relay. The Fuse on the power block is normally 80-100A.
It insures the fans get full power and doesn't piggyback them on to your factory harness which if like most is old, tired and wasn't built that heavy duty to begin with.
The fuses Deralle recommends provide the protection for a bad fan, the Block fuse is for failures of a more major level.

FWIW,, The 30A relays are "ok" for fans, 50's are better they have bigger contacts internally and have less voltage drop.
I use #12 or #10 wire for fan circuits. Less resistance means less wasted energy.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

The PCM fan outputs and the AC pressure switches (almost) always provide ground to trigger the relays.

I think you need the other wires on the relay coil to go to power, not ground. A small fuse (5A, tops, maybe 2A) is sufficient to provide power to two relays. And for most relays, the coil isn't polarized, so either wire can be power and the other can be ground. So you can just put power on the black wires if you want. No need to swap everything around.
The following users liked this post:
pdxmotorhead (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

+1 good point.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Racer-X-
The PCM fan outputs and the AC pressure switches (almost) always provide ground to trigger the relays.

I think you need the other wires on the relay coil to go to power, not ground. A small fuse (5A, tops, maybe 2A) is sufficient to provide power to two relays. And for most relays, the coil isn't polarized, so either wire can be power and the other can be ground. So you can just put power on the black wires if you want. No need to swap everything around.
Even better... most recent Bosch style relays have internal diodes across the coil connections to improve longevity by eliminating voltage spikes and arcing when the relay is switched off so it is recommended to have 12V+ on terminal 86 and ground on terminal 85. That's exactly what would happen if he switches the wiring to apply power on the black wires.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Have you used an actual voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery?
Sorry been out in the field. I haven't checked voltage at the battery. I will check tonight.

I did notice the differences in the wiring diagrams provided for the fans themselves vs. the relays. Are you recommending to swap 86 and 85 and this could fix my problem?

Really hoping to get this sorted before I put the car away for the winter.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, simply reversing 85 and 86 is unlikely to make any difference. I was merely following the suggestion by Racer-X- that you might need to provide power to the relay coil and that the black wires would already be on the correct terminals if you used them to provide that power.

The choice between using 85 or 86 for power vs ground is mostly moot - either way will work. However, putting power on 86 and ground on 85 will make the relay last a little bit longer because of the internal diode.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, simply reversing 85 and 86 is unlikely to make any difference. I was merely following the suggestion by Racer-X- that you might need to provide power to the relay coil and that the black wires would already be on the correct terminals if you used them to provide that power.

The choice between using 85 or 86 for power vs ground is mostly moot - either way will work. However, putting power on 86 and ground on 85 will make the relay last a little bit longer because of the internal diode.
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, had a few minutes to run a test. Here are the numbers below.

12.47 battery (car not started for 2 weeks)
14.55 running, nothing else on..
13.68 1 fan lights radio
13.05 2 fans, lights, radio
12.42 2 fans, lights, radio, ac

Do I need to take the alternator back and tell them its messed up? I would have thought that it would have been able to keep the voltage as close to 14 volts with loads added. Or, do I need to upgrade the Big3 for the voltage?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Are those voltages at idle? Or at 1500-2000 RPM's?

And is this a CS-130D alternator? Those aren't the strongest at idle speed. You may need a stronger, more modern alternator with a higher current capacity.

An AD-244 unit of 140+ amps from a Suburban, Tahoe or Yukon might work for you.

Last edited by Racer-X-; 10-27-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Are those voltages at idle? Or at 1500-2000 RPM's?

And is this a CS-130D alternator? Those aren't the strongest at idle speed. You may need a stronger, more modern alternator with a higher current capacity.

An AD-244 unit of 140+ amps from a Suburban, Tahoe or Yukon might work for you.
Yes taken at idle. This is the CS-130D alternator that was just rewound to 172 Amp. I would hate to have just spent $160 to have it reworked to go to the junkyard for another $40 for a truck alternator.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
Yes taken at idle. This is the CS-130D alternator that was just rewound to 172 Amp. I would hate to have just spent $160 to have it reworked to go to the junkyard for another $40 for a truck alternator.
First, check your voltages with the thing running 1500-2000 RPMs with no load (Park or neutral). See whether those voltages rise up to the 13.5-14.5 volt range. I suspect they will, especially with the alternator reworked for the higher current.

The issue with low voltage/low current at idle is kind of inherent in the design. The increased current is maximum current at some higher RPMs. CS-130D alternators lose a lot of performance at idle speeds, compared to their maximum current ratings at higher RPMs. The CS-130Ds are better than the older 10si/12si units, but they don't perform as well at idle as the newer designs.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

First, check your voltages with the thing running 1500-2000 RPMs with no load (Park or neutral). See whether those voltages rise up to the 13.5-14.5 volt range. I suspect they will, especially with the alternator reworked for the higher current.

The issue with low voltage/low current at idle is kind of inherent in the design. The increased current is maximum current at some higher RPMs. CS-130D alternators lose a lot of performance at idle speeds, compared to their maximum current ratings at higher RPMs. The CS-130Ds are better than the older 10si/12si units, but they don't perform as well at idle as the newer designs.
14.55 running, nothing else on..Just put the car in storage yesterday.

Quick Reply: Derale fan wiring, please check