Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird Cluster Electrical issue on 1999 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Cluster Electrical issue on 1999 Camaro

I’m working on a 1999 v6 that sat in a field for a few years

The Car runs and drives flawlessly I just have nothing on the cluster, no tach no odo, temp, oil psi, batt voltage, and gas are all just pegged. I borrowed a cluster from a friends 1999 v6 and its the same story with that one so I’d say it rules out a bad cluster. I have individually taken out all of the fuses with the key in the on position and nothing has changed. I have a low oil, check gauges, and ABS INOP light on, these are only on when the 3 way headlight switch is in the furthest clockwise position, otherwise they are blank. I have taken and cleaned multiple chassis grounds and replaced the ground band from the chassis to block. Still nothing. Finally I’ve visually inspected all of the wiring bundles under the dash and I cannot find any rodent damage.

I have 2 trouble codes.

U1000-17 Class 2 Data Malfunction

U1096-17 Loss of Communication with Instrument Cluster

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to troubleshoot this I would be very grateful.
Old 06-28-2024, 04:40 PM
Teching In

You have already cleaned several chassis grounds, which is a good start. Make sure all connections are secure and free of corrosion. Inspect the wiring harnesses for damage and scuffs. There are bad days and tiredness, it's best to find BBCSurprise Videos and entertain yourself a little to free your head. Even if you find no rodent damage, it's worth double-checking.

Last edited by benisfroms; 07-01-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Removing a potentially blown fuse will tell you nothing since being blown or being removed results in the same interruption of the circuit. Have you tried replacing the GAUGES fuse? That is what powers all of the analog gauges in the cluster - they're controlled by class 2 serial data but powered through the GAUGES fuse. Now you may still have the same problem if the serial data connection is actually bad, but a blown fuse leaving the gauges without power would cause an interruption in serial data transmission so that would be the first place to look.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-01-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I was removing non cluster related fuses hoping some other system was shorting out causing an issue with the dash, There is also a draw on the battery so I was searching for that aswell. I spoke with the previous owner and he said he put a junkyard dash in it because the odometer lcd died in the old one. Is it possible he put the wrong dash in it? its a 120mph dash and 3.8 car so thats correct but if its a Drive by cable dash I dont know if that would be causing this issue because its a drive by wire car.

Quick Reply: Weird Cluster Electrical issue on 1999 Camaro