Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Starting my Kee Audio Installation - As Close to Factory as Possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Starting my Kee Audio Installation - As Close to Factory as Possible

Starting my Kee Audio installation today.. as I see a thread just before this questioning if Ian is still in business.. he definitely is and striving!

Began with my rears, using plug and play harnesses, went with 4 rivets over the factory 2. Installing factory speakers again would be as easy as drilling the rivets and putting in new ones.

Sail panels and front door speakers will continue tonight when the humidity dies off a bit.

I will also be removing the staples from the passenger panel, the driver panel has already gotten the ziptie mod.

Sail panels are going to have factory harnesses as well, original speakers will keep the original harnesses intact, I got some new ones snipped off a salvage car.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Your best sound will come from upgrading the sail panel subs. Even the Bazookas were a yuge improvement in my car.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Your best sound will come from upgrading the sail panel subs. Even the Bazookas were a yuge improvement in my car.
I agree, I only have one in and it’s a drastic improvement. I have the stage 2 CDT sail panel subs.

Should be wrapping up tonight.. I keep dodging the humidity lol
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (07-05-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Well I got it all wrapped up and these speakers sound FANTASTIC for a factory replacement.

The speaker that was blown that made me do all of this.. well the replacement sail panel sub is doing the exact same thing..

New amp is on the way.. hopefully it's that and not the headunit!
Old 07-08-2024, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I replaced all the factory stuff with CDT speakers, JL amp and Pioneer HU I got from Kee.

I recommend him every chance I get.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by red04montels
Well I got it all wrapped up and these speakers sound FANTASTIC for a factory replacement.

The speaker that was blown that made me do all of this.. well the replacement sail panel sub is doing the exact same thing..

Does it distort when you turn it up loud?
Old 07-10-2024, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by red04montels
well the replacement sail panel sub is doing the exact same thing..

Ya what's the sail panel sub doing exactly? and how much room was behind the magnet with that sub?
Old 07-10-2024, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Did you put some sound deadener in the front doors?
Old 07-11-2024, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I replaced all the factory stuff with CDT speakers, JL amp and Pioneer HU I got from Kee.

I recommend him every chance I get.
Ian is awesome, he's been fantastic!

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Does it distort when you turn it up loud?
Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Ya what's the sail panel sub doing exactly? and how much room was behind the magnet with that sub?
It sounds blown at low volume and gets worse as volume increases. New amp arrived today, so I'll swap it out and see what happens.

As for space behind the magnet, I didn't really check - it looked to be very similar depth to the factory sub.

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Did you put some sound deadener in the front doors?
No I didn't, I didn't feel like it was necessary for my listening habits.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I know these questions weren't directed at me but I wanted to give a little personal experience.

It's been probably 10 years since I did my audio install. When I talked to Kee, I told him I was more concerned with sound quality than it just being "loud". I know a little about a lot of things, but car audio is not one of them. I didn't have the time to go down the rabbit hole of learning/researching, only to end up not happy with my selection. This was one of those times I needed "a guy" that I could tell what I wanted and him ship me what I needed.

I went with the Pioneer AVH-4300, JL 700/5 amp, steering wheel control adapter, CDT speakers: door component speakers, sail panel speakers, 10inch carbon fiber CDT sub w/ enclosure.(hatch speakers were deleted)

Like most things I do, I went over board and tore the interior out of the car, installed sound deadener, open cell foam everywhere. I'm sure I did way more than I needed to.

IIRC, I had to use a few washers to space out the sail panel speakers because of how big big the magnet is.

The audio quality is absolutely amazing. The quality of the source material(whatever you are listening to)has a tremendous effect on how good it sounds. With my ADD, my playlist varies A LOT.

It gets loud, or at least as loud as I care for. I was really impressed with how hard that one 10in sub beats up.

Fast forward to now, I've been having issues with the audio randomly dropping out on all the speakers. The volume on one speaker would get low, come back, then the problem would go to another speaker. It was like I was changing the balance/fader settings.

I've had this problem for years, but rarely drove the car and I never looked into it. Now that I'm driving the car weekly again, it was time to fix it, but be not being a car audio guy, I didn't know what to check.

I emailed Kee and explained the issue and asked for some suggestions on what to check and how to do it. He responded with an lengthly email and was extremely helpful. It appears that the RCA board in the Pioneer H/U is on it's way out. After some more testing, whatever needs replacing, I will definitely be getting the new stuff from him. Knowing me, "since I'm in there", I'm going to probably add a dedicated amp for the sub to push it harder if he thinks it would be benifical over using the amp I have now.

The following users liked this post:
98cherrySS (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Starting my Kee Audio Installation - As Close to Factory as Possible